New Car Wash/Polish/Wax Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car Wash/Polish/Wax Help

Just bought a new 07 TL-S and when I went there to pick up the car I realized there were yellow/brown spots in the paint. After doing research I learned that those are IFO's (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/clay_and_ifo.html) and that they can be clayed off. There were quite a few other problems with the exterior so I have not taken delivery until they fixed all the details.

I am pretty sure I will need to clay, polish and wax my new car myself but after spending the last 6 hours reading different articles and posts, I am beginning to feel overwhelmed.

Why do most people buy both a spray and paste wax?

I bought my car in White and here are the products I am considering buying, please tell me what I am missing or what you would recommend instead for a white car:

Exterior
Dawn Dish Washing Soap
Meguire's gold class
Clay Magic - The Perfect Finish Kit
Zaino ZFX
Zaino Z-2
Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal

Equipment
Euro Sheepskin Mitt/SM Arnold mitts
2 Buckets
Porter Cable
Microfiber towels (costco)

Interior
Zaino Z-10 Leather in A Bottle
303 Aerospace

Windows
Windex

Do I really need to buy a Porter Cable? In Zaino's FAQ, it says that they do not recommend using the PC with their products because it uses up the product faster. Should I use a different product or just not use the PC.

I found a list of types of products a beginner should buy, but I do not know which product to pick, if anybody can help me fill in the blanks, it would be greatly appreciated.

These are what I think I am missing:
Sealant/Wax
MF Waffle Weave
Quick Detailer/Spray Wax
Wheel Cleaner
Leather Conditioner
Tire Dressing
Foam Applicators
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MC82
Just bought a new 07 TL-S and when I went there to pick up the car I realized there were yellow/brown spots in the paint. After doing research I learned that those are IFO's (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/clay_and_ifo.html) and that they can be clayed off. There were quite a few other problems with the exterior so I have not taken delivery until they fixed all the details.

I am pretty sure I will need to clay, polish and wax my new car myself but after spending the last 6 hours reading different articles and posts, I am beginning to feel overwhelmed.
Your car being quite new and you've already noticed IFOs before pickup, I would defintely clay, probably a light cleaning and seal. All the more reason to take the extra precaution and apply the product you want. The basic process is a wash, clay, polish & seal.
Why do most people buy both a spray and paste wax?
It's a matter of personal preference. Most synthetics are liquid and most pastes are carnuba. I prefer the liquids as they are easier to work with.
I bought my car in White and here are the products I am considering buying, please tell me what I am missing or what you would recommend instead for a white car:

Exterior
Dawn Dish Washing Soap
Meguire's gold class
Clay Magic - The Perfect Finish Kit
Zaino ZFX
Zaino Z-2
Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal

Equipment
Euro Sheepskin Mitt/SM Arnold mitts
2 Buckets
Porter Cable
Microfiber towels (costco)

Interior
Zaino Z-10 Leather in A Bottle
303 Aerospace

Windows
Windex
If you're going with Zaino, you would need Z-5 Pro or Z-AIO and probably Z-6 and Z-8. If you plan on tinting your windows, stay away from cleaners with ammonia. Stoners IG or Sprayway Glass Cleaner would be a better choice. You may also want to get some quality MF towels. Those from Costco are better as a general purpose towel but I would not use them for product removal and buffing.
Do I really need to buy a Porter Cable? In Zaino's FAQ, it says that they do not recommend using the PC with their products because it uses up the product faster. Should I use a different product or just not use the PC.
No, you don't. The PC is used mainly for paint correction but can be used for product application. See this thread about using a PC for application of Zaino products.
I found a list of types of products a beginner should buy, but I do not know which product to pick, if anybody can help me fill in the blanks, it would be greatly appreciated.

These are what I think I am missing:
Sealant/Wax
MF Waffle Weave
Quick Detailer/Spray Wax
Wheel Cleaner
Leather Conditioner
Tire Dressing
Foam Applicators
You already mentioned the Z-10, you will eventually need Z-9.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After putting a list of Zaino products I would need, I just realized how much time and money I would need to spend. To me, its more about the time then the money, how much time does it take to do this?