New car - Need new detail kit help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car - Need new detail kit help

Well it's been ages since I've truly taken care of car myself as far as detailing goes. With a new car I've purchased this past weekend I decided it was time to start detailing myself again.

Anyway that mean I need an entire kit from soap to mits to waxing. I had planned to go the Zaino route but everybody on here seems to recommend exceldetails?

Anyway I'm not to particular on brand but I'd love to find away to keep this beautiful red long lasting on my car.

So does anybody have any suggestions on what exactly I should get and hopefully 1 or two stores I can purchase form? Also it seems a porter cable is needed so I plan to pick one up also.

Appreciate the help.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Racer

if time isn't a problem then let excel hook you up with everything you need...it beats wasting gas driving all over town trying to find all the products that you need..and for the most part the products that he is going to sell you are just a few dollars more than what you would spend at your local autozone or whatever
Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrclrider
if time isn't a problem then let excel hook you up with everything you need...it beats wasting gas driving all over town trying to find all the products that you need..and for the most part the products that he is going to sell you are just a few dollars more than what you would spend at your local autozone or whatever
Time isn't really an issue. MOstly I'm just looking for the total kit put together by somebody who knows what their doing. For most part I know how to apply everything and remove. I'm just not familiar with the products anymore. It's been a long time since I've detailed a car.

Well that and I've never used a porter cable before.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Kang Ho

Have you check out exceldetail website yet? He has some kit available.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Racer

i think alot of people prefer other products over zaino because you can imitate the results, without spending as much.

i dont think excel has COMPLETE kit with everything in it. but im sure he'll have something to fit your needs. or just look around the forums and just copy a product list from some of our forum detailers
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bo0sty
i think alot of people prefer other products over zaino because you can imitate the results, without spending as much.

i dont think excel has COMPLETE kit with everything in it. but im sure he'll have something to fit your needs. or just look around the forums and just copy a product list from some of our forum detailers
Yes he does not have the full kit from what I can tell.

The thing I like about Zaino from what I've seen anyway is that after time layer after layer it just looks beautiful. Car shine seems better as time goes on not worse. I'd be curious about products similiar to Zaino though.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Well I took a look at size and I'm going to pick up the Euro Pro Bucket Kit and the Excel Gold kit along with a porter cable and Optimum Car Wash.

What I'm struggling with though is what wax, polish, sealant and any other products I'll need to go with. Does anybody have any suggestions.

Also I've never used a porter cable are there additional pads I should buy?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Racer

for pads, depends how bad your paint is. probably get an orange pad, a whit pad and a red pad. seeing as you have a new car you may or may not need the orange pad.

i think for polishes, try the optimum trail pack from excel.

then you can probably go ahead and zaino your car or use a sealant then top it with some wax
Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Advanced

for pads, depends how bad your paint is. probably get an orange pad, a whit pad and a red pad. seeing as you have a new car you may or may not need the orange pad.

i think for polishes, try the optimum trail pack from excel.

then you can probably go ahead and zaino your car or use a sealant then top it with some wax
Yes paint is perfect on the car since it's new. Hopefully I get my wish and can keep it looking nice and new.

I'm assuming you mean the optimum sample pack? So I can test it out and see if I'm happy with the quality. I'll pick that up then and for sealant/wax would the optimum poliseal be a good choice? Not sure on the wax maybe the Optium Spray Wax or is the poliseal enough?

Appreciate the help. From past cars I thought I had a decent idea on how to do it properly. A few days of reading has shown me I didn't. Just not sure on products now.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Racer

i dont think its exactly perfect since its new, usually theres some fine imperfection you need to polish out.

ya sample pack...my bad.

i dont know why but no one really uses poliseal for a standalone sealant, most use it as base for the sealant. alot of people on the forums use Four star ultimate paint protection for a sealant. i have experience it first hand and it goes on easy comes off easy. ive only had it on fer a couple weeks but from what i can tell its still alive and well.

for wax its up to you, although you don't really need it. its not for protection but more for looks...since you already have sealant. i don't really like spray wax cause its hard to control and itll go everywhere. just stick with the conventional paste wax. i personally like p21s wax its a little pricy but it gives the car a nice wet look.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Racer

...hate the 5 min edit

one last thing since its new the one thing i would be sure to start early and often is taking car of your leather(if you have it). paint can always be corrected later, but creases in leather are impossible to get out. invest in a good leather cleaner and leather conditioner.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Advanced

i dont think its exactly perfect since its new, usually theres some fine imperfection you need to polish out.

ya sample pack...my bad.

i dont know why but no one really uses poliseal for a standalone sealant, most use it as base for the sealant. alot of people on the forums use Four star ultimate paint protection for a sealant. i have experience it first hand and it goes on easy comes off easy. ive only had it on fer a couple weeks but from what i can tell its still alive and well.

for wax its up to you, although you don't really need it. its not for protection but more for looks...since you already have sealant. i don't really like spray wax cause its hard to control and itll go everywhere. just stick with the conventional paste wax. i personally like p21s wax its a little pricy but it gives the car a nice wet look.
The wet looks is what I like.... especially on are car. So now I just need to find a site to buy the p21s from. Any suggestions?

Pretty much what I put together from excel is:

Euro Pro Kit
Excel Gold Kit
Porter Cable
Optimum Car Wash
303 Protectant for dash
Fine Grade Clay
4star Tire Gel
4star Wheel Cleaner
Optimum Trio Smpler
Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection w/PC Booster
and a white and red pad.

Don't think I'm missing anything at this point?

...hate the 5 min edit

one last thing since its new the one thing i would be sure to start early and often is taking car of your leather(if you have it). paint can always be corrected later, but creases in leather are impossible to get out. invest in a good leather cleaner and leather conditioner.
Figures I was missing something. Four star leather cleaner/conditioner work? The thing is it's not all true leather just the main seat. It's a mix of vinyl layered on the other parts (an 08 accord coupe).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if your struggling on what wax or sealant to use, STOP....all you need to know is 4 star ultimate paint protection....upp

for the really wet look, use danase wet glaze(dwg) topped with upp....you can layer the stuff as much as you want...for a deeper wetter look....

Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
ps, my car is soo slick i can hardly keep the water on it while i am washing it....it runs off faster then i can put it on....

on the tires i am using an otc product, amorall extreme tire gel...its the bomb...i have tried all kinds of stuff, but this stuff rocks...i only need it about every 3rd wash...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta love UPP, ftw!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Racer

i would get an orange pad just in case, or an extra white pad. as you might need a more agressive polish or pad.

fourstar leather and conditioner sounds good. just care for the vinyl like you would leather. also get an upholstery brush to work in the product.

im not sure if 303 cleans(someone correct me if im wrong), might wanna get a otc interior cleaner like meg's quick interior detail. you can also use the 303 for your engine bay, protects and keeps engine looking new.

your also gonna need some quick detailer or lube for your clay. you can get a OTC quick detailer. i think you should get Optimum No rinse Wash. with ONRW you can kill two birds with one stone. you can dilute the product with water for multiple products. you can make quick detailer or use it as a no rinse wash thats eco friendly.

might want a glass cleaner and maybe some extra microfiber towels.

other than that looks pretty solid. i think you might need a backing plate if you buy the PC not sure. might wanna look into a UDM. i personally have a UDM so i can not provide an input on which one to get.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vinnier6
ps, my car is soo slick i can hardly keep the water on it while i am washing it....it runs off faster then i can put it on....

on the tires i am using an otc product, amorall extreme tire gel...its the bomb...i have tried all kinds of stuff, but this stuff rocks...i only need it about every 3rd wash...
armorall is too oily for me i like a matte black finish
Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think excel has COMPLETE kit with everything in it.
And theres a reason for that. Not everyones needs can be met with one simple kit. I really prefer chatting with folks to discuss needs and expectations, as well as abilities. Then I can set them up with products with which I feel best meets there needs.

i would get an orange pad just in case, or an extra white pad. as you might need a more agressive polish or pad.

im not sure if 303 cleans(someone correct me if im wrong), might wanna get a otc interior cleaner like meg's quick interior detail. you can also use the 303 for your engine bay, protects and keeps engine looking new.

other than that looks pretty solid. i think you might need a backing plate if you buy the PC not sure. might wanna look into a UDM. i personally have a UDM so i can not provide an input on which one to get.
The Orange Erasure is certainly the most versatile pad made, IMO.
303 Protectant does not clean, however 303 does make a cleaner.
The UDM by PC comes with a yellow flexible 5" backing plate. Not like the PC kit that comes with the polishing pad, and affixed rigid black backing plate.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Racer

i agree, i like how you have mini kits that we can create our own unique complete kit. this way it doesn't restrict us from picking and choosing the products we like

EXCEL FTW