New 09 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 09 Acura TL

I purchased a new 09 TL and am going to do my first detail on it. I read about so many different products that it is confusing.

I am looking at buying a flex 3401 and want to do a clay, polish and wax.

I am told that the acura paint is very soft so only certain products should be used.

I was looking at doing teh following.

- Wolfgang clay bar
- menzerna sip
- menzerna 83rd or nano?

I am not sure on which wax, suggestions are appreciated.

Any thoughts on my plan with the clay bar and the menzerna products? Any products that would be better on the soft acura paint?

Thanks

Jim

Last edited by jimlenz; 05-05-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What color?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSC17
What color?
Black, should have listed that as it is important.

Jim
Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Racer

OH NO, good luck with that!! Black is a PITA to keep clean.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

I've got an NBP TL-S myself, and know all too well what it takes to keep it nice.

First of all, you need to make sure you have a perfect wash and dry technique with the proper tools. If you don't have this straight, you'll be spending a lot of time polishing to fix the problems that will come just from washing and drying.

Unless you already have heavier defects, I don't see the need for SIP. When I brought my TL-S home, the first thing I did (besides wash it) was to polish it with Optimum Poliseal. Since I kept after it, I rarely found defects that I couldn't fix with Optimum polish.

The nice thing about Optimum products is that they are incredibly user friendly for those new to machine polishing.

So perhaps you should consider starting off with Optimum Polish II and a bottle of Poliseal as well. White pads for the OP, and grey pads for the OPS. You can keep it sealed with Opti-seal.

I'm sure you'll have a lot more questions, and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
everything he said
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I would seriously consider something a little more durable on black. PS is a hybrid of protectants, and black absorbs U.V's. I would opt for the OptiSeal on that puppy.
Matter of fact, Im going to take a slightly altered route then Todd and go with Optimum Polish II and Optiseal.......Todd nailed the fact that they are incredibly easy to use, period. Noob, enthusiast, or professional, they are quality products.
Either or, would be fine, but i think you will find better durability with Optiseal.....
Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Actually you didn't alter the route much, as I too recommended Opti-seal.

When using a DA, I found that OP (at least the original version) would require an additional step on NBP because it would leave ever so slight micro marring. I would always follow OP with OPS. I would recommend having both products on hand, plus the Opti-seal.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Intermediate

acura tl

Since I am new to this, it sounds like the Optimum Polish II and Optiseal would be much better off then Menzerna.

Should I stick with optimum wax/sealant or would you suggest a different one based on using these two products?

Finally, is the flex overboard for a noob or should i just get the PC?

Thanks

Jim
Old 05-06-2009, 07:00 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Originally Posted by jimlenz
Since I am new to this, it sounds like the Optimum Polish II and Optiseal would be much better off then Menzerna.

Should I stick with optimum wax/sealant or would you suggest a different one based on using these two products?

Finally, is the flex overboard for a noob or should i just get the PC?

Thanks

Jim
Jim,

No, I don't think the Flex is overboard. It's a very nice tool indeed.

Here's what I would get:

Optimum Polish II (med-fine polish)
Optimum Poliseal (fine polish / all-in-one)
Optimum Opti-seal (sealant)
Optimum Car Wax (spray wax, inexpensive, looks good, super easy to use)
Optimum Instant Detailer (Super slick, easy to use, recommended to use when drying your vehicle)
Flex w/ white and black pads to start
High quality MF towels
High quality mf or sheepskin wash mitt
Grit Guard

That should get you started.

Both forum sponsors (Detailed Image and Excel Detail) offer discounts for AZ members.

Feel free to send me a PM or email (go to my profile) if you need advice.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Jim,

Here's what I would get:

Optimum Instant Detailer (Super slick, easy to use, recommended to use when drying your vehicle)
High quality MF towels
Grit Guard

Both forum sponsors (Detailed Image and Excel Detail) offer discounts for AZ members.

Todd

Thanks for the recommendations. The only confusing part is the multiple polish,wax and sealant. For my first detail on the new car what would I use. Just go with the polish II and then wax and that is all. How would I know when to use the other products?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions.

Jim
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

will this also work on my tahoe

One additinoal question. Are all these products okay for my 07 chevy tahoe? I plan to learn on this car and then go to the acura after that.

Jim
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Jim,

You always want to start with the least aggressive first. So I would do a test section with the Poliseal and see how it turns out. If it looks great, then finish up the car with it. If you've got some heavier defects that the Poliseal won't remove, then step up to the OPII with a white pad, and then go back and finish it off afterwards with the Poliseal and a grey pad. Keep in mind that with your paint, you will be either doing a one-step with Poliseal, or a two-step with OPII and then Poliseal. On most paint you could get away with a one step polish with OPII, but yours is very soft.

After you've done one of the above methods, then go back and apply the Opti-seal sealant. You don't HAVE to use the wax after the sealant, but I would recommend using the quick detailer to buff the finish after you've let the Opti-seal cure for 20 or 30 minutes.

Even with a coat of Opti-seal (or two), I still like to use the Optimum spray wax after every other wash or so. Sure it's overkill since it's got some durability, but it looks nice and is safe to use regularly.

Yep, all of these products would be good for the Tahoe (even though it has a harder cc and won't correct as easily), but it's a smart idea to get used to the feel of everything on that one before tackling the Acura.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Jim,

Congrats on the new TL and welcome to the board!

Todd has given you some solid information. The only thing I would ad is that you really need to MASTER washing your car. There is great information on this forum as well as other detailing forums. Once you master how to properly wash your car then you will only need to perform minor corrections from here on out. Acura paint chips and scratches very easily. It takes good solid paint maintenance techniques to keep black Acura paint at a high level.

The flex machine is a great polisher. I have been using one for almost two years now. However, once you get the machine there are a couple of preventive measures you should take before using it for the first time. First, purchase some air tool oil at Home Depot or the like. Second, remove the polishing disk and lubricate the white felt o-ring with a bead of tool oil on the surface of the entire felt o-ring. The felt o-ring will easily absorb the oil. If necessary, send me a PM or post on this thread and I will talk you through it.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

Package

Jim,

Here's what I would get:

High quality MF towels
Grit Guard

Thanks for the advice, I have been looking around for a package with the flex and the optimum products and dont see one at either place you recommend or AG. Guess I can start picemealing it.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Im not sure why your considering the Flex actually. Its probably more then youll need at this point....in all honesty, Ive been using the UDM/PC for quite some time, and never needed anything more then that......just my $.02.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Racer

I love my UDM, but the flex is tempting, more cut for RDS and shortens correction time by a couple passes. dont think im ready for an orbital, but the flex is next on my list.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Im not sure why your considering the Flex actually. Its probably more then youll need at this point....in all honesty, Ive been using the UDM/PC for quite some time, and never needed anything more then that......just my $.02.
You are probably right. I really dont want to pay the extra money so the PC may be the right choice. I just want to have a nice machine that is going to last and not keep me out working all day.

JL
Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Of course the new PC will be more powerful then existing also. May be something to consider if you can wait a bit.....