Need help on my first detail on my used black car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Need help on my first detail on my used black car...

in late Feb i picked up a Black 01 GS430. now that it is getting warmer, i want to dust off the PC and make the Lexy bling like she should be.

the black paint shows some dullness and swirls in the clearcoat. understandable being in NJ with the winters... the previous owner was an older gentlemen that only got occasional washes when the car was in for service or after snowstorms...

in a few weeks i plan on doing a wash/clay/wash/??polish??/Klasse AIO...

to be honest, i am not exactly sure how to tackle this as i have always owned light colored metallic cars... this is my first black car and the swirls are annoying to my OCD...

so can you guys provide me any help/input on what kind of polish i should be using for the swirls (3M, Meg, Chem bro, etc?) is there any steps i am missing or should eliminate in the above... should i do a sealant and what kind? or should i wait until my final summer/autumn detail before winter to do the sealant before snow...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
in late Feb i picked up a Black 01 GS430. now that it is getting warmer, i want to dust off the PC and make the Lexy bling like she should be.

the black paint shows some dullness and swirls in the clearcoat. understandable being in NJ with the winters... the previous owner was an older gentlemen that only got occasional washes when the car was in for service or after snowstorms...

in a few weeks i plan on doing a wash/clay/wash/??polish??/Klasse AIO...

to be honest, i am not exactly sure how to tackle this as i have always owned light colored metallic cars... this is my first black car and the swirls are annoying to my OCD...

so can you guys provide me any help/input on what kind of polish i should be using for the swirls (3M, Meg, Chem bro, etc?) is there any steps i am missing or should eliminate in the above... should i do a sealant and what kind? or should i wait until my final summer/autumn detail before winter to do the sealant before snow...
KaMLuNg,

It is almost impossible to advise without providing some pics. These pics should be of a sun reflection or lighting that shows scratches and swirls. The sun is best since it is unrelenting in showing paint flaws. Also, do you know if the paint is a single or two-stage(with clearcoat) version? Some of the older black GS's were single stage.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to polish, you won't really need KAIO. Also some pictures would help us help you. As a rule of thumb, always start with the least aggressive combo and work your way up as necessary.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
WHat might you have on hand?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
KaMLuNg,

It is almost impossible to advise without providing some pics. These pics should be of a sun reflection or lighting that shows scratches and swirls. The sun is best since it is unrelenting in showing paint flaws. Also, do you know if the paint is a single or two-stage(with clearcoat) version? Some of the older black GS's were single stage.
sorry i don't know about paint.. ill ask on the lexus forums to see if anyone knows...

Originally Posted by Denzil
If you're going to polish, you won't really need KAIO. Also some pictures would help us help you. As a rule of thumb, always start with the least aggressive combo and work your way up as necessary.
alright i will try to snap some photos within the next few days... today is shot since it is cloudy and about to rain... wtf?? i just washed the car on sunday!!!

Originally Posted by exceldetail
WHat might you have on hand?
like you mean in my arsenal as far as polishing supplies?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

What products might you already have on hand......No sense in buying something if you already have an appropriate product.
I would however, highly recommend a PC/UDM if you dont have one already. Its real hard to bring black, back to life without assistance from a RO machine.
A few necessities though: And Im going to go out on a limb here assuming your not even considering starting without a PC.
Light and medium grade polishes
Assortment of pads, about 5 or so.....
at least 6 Microfibers for product removal
Trim products
Wheel cleaners
Tire treatment
Assorted brushes
I know I have left a lot out, but these are just some basics assuming you also have wash items.....
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Kam, my plan for my black paint rejuvination is as follows, guys help me out here if I'm on the wrong track.

Wash/clay/rinse/Four Star Body Shop Med. Cut Compound (Orange Pad)/Optimum Poliseal (White Pad)/Danase WG (Black Pad) any issues with this approach?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

[QUOTE=KaMLuNg;10769594] i want to dust off the PC and make the Lexy bling like she should be.

[QUOTE]

What products might you already have on hand......No sense in buying something if you already have an appropriate product.
I would however, highly recommend a PC/UDM if you dont have one already. Its real hard to bring black, back to life without assistance from a RO machine.
A few necessities though: And Im going to go out on a limb here assuming your not even considering starting without a PC.
Light and medium grade polishes
Assortment of pads, about 5 or so.....
at least 6 Microfibers for product removal
Trim products
Wheel cleaners
Tire treatment
Assorted brushes
I know I have left a lot out, but these are just some basics assuming you also have wash items.....
thanks patrick

roger on the PC... i got all the wash necessities, sonus claybar kit, mf and ww towels etc... it has been a year since i put my PC stuff away but i am pretty sure i have a yellow, black and white pad...

polishes i will have to look though...
Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

verdict from CL.com about the paint... it is two stage...
Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

FS BS MC may be a tad abrasive for starters, especially with orange.....That removes some serious swirl defects....
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

i found a green pad... if that helps...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Drew,

Guessing here but
wash
clay
yellow with Light cut polish (If you have some heavy defects)
white pad or orange with Swirl remover/Poliseal (if you do the prior step or have only minor defects)
Black pad with 4 star UPP

I tried to accommodate the pads you mentioned you had.

Any other thoughts?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Former Sponsor

i found a green pad... if that helps...
Ummm......shoot..Theres a couple different green compounds available. One is rather mild, like the older version Propels I used to have....then there's a pad which is a member of the Yellow compound family, which is more aggressive then the Orange.....but not quite as aggressive as yellow.
Id really like to see you go light Kam......
Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

yea you are right... i think ill go with the white then black pad duo first to see how it comes out... when i looked at the car on monday night, it didn't look as bad as i expected... there are just a few nicks here and there that may call for the yellow pad...

the dumb dealership put their personal emblem above the 'LEXUS' on the trunk... when i heated it up and took off the emblem, it looked like they took a brillo pad to clean the surface before putting the emblem on...

i had a touch at the green last night and it felt less course than my yellow... so i am thinking this may be the one just above orange??? but ill look at the brand of the pad tonight.. maybe that will help...

thanks for all your help fellas...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Patrick - you will be getting an order from me soon... need some more ONR and WW drying towels... is there anything else i should add in???
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
FS BS MC may be a tad abrasive for starters, especially with orange.....That removes some serious swirl defects....
Should I use a different pad?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

any reason for jumping into the MC? is it too much for a light cut?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Patrick - you will be getting an order from me soon... need some more ONR and WW drying towels... is there anything else i should add in???
Consider Orange and White 5.5''s for your polishing with either Compound or Polish (both available in 4oz, but not the new versions. 8oz available in new versions) Black pad for Finishing Polish. Red for sealant. Just a phone call away for anything you need.

Should I use a different pad?
The Orange is great with the FSBS MC! If you need it, it will ge the job done, no doubt. But dont expect a walk away finish, it will need a step down process for sure.

any reason for jumping into the MC? is it too much for a light cut?
MC is way too much for light cut. Its an advanced polish, removes 1200 or finer. Its a great polish, but it means business......
Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was ready to do a new post, but it's related to this post - I'll try not to hijack... I just got my PC yesterday (thanks to everyone's recommendations). In fact, already got some scuffs and abrasions out! Once I polish, I plan to use the UPP but I wasn't sure which pad to use for that - I have black, orange, white, and blue (the blue says for finishing and sealants) so should I use the blue instead of the black for the UPP? Also, I plan on doing three coats, so do I remove each coat before the next, and if so, do I use the PC for this or hand buff?? Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by mklaudt
I was ready to do a new post, but it's related to this post - I'll try not to hijack... I just got my PC yesterday (thanks to everyone's recommendations). In fact, already got some scuffs and abrasions out! Once I polish, I plan to use the UPP but I wasn't sure which pad to use for that - I have black, orange, white, and blue (the blue says for finishing and sealants) so should I use the blue instead of the black for the UPP? Also, I plan on doing three coats, so do I remove each coat before the next, and if so, do I use the PC for this or hand buff?? Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions.
I think you'd be fine with using either the black or the blue pad. Also with applying the three coats of UPP, it's usually traditional for you to apply then buff off but if it were me, I'd just reapplying without buffing off until after the third coat. However, I'd wait some time between coats.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

I'd rather see you apply coats three weekends in a row. I have had the best results this way.......As for pads, black or blue should suffice. Although it depends on where you got them actually! Check the suppliers recommendations.......
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Thanks. You guys are awesome. Do I buff it using the PC or just a microfiber? Also, my PC came with a big thick white pad in the box - is that good for anything? The pads that I bought are Lake Country.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by mklaudt
^^ Thanks. You guys are awesome. Do I buff it using the PC or just a microfiber? Also, my PC came with a big thick white pad in the box - is that good for anything? The pads that I bought are Lake Country.
The UPP? If you're applying it, you can use a foam applicator or the blue/black foam pad and the PC but if you're buffing it off, you can use a MF bonnet on the PC or by hand with a MF, which is what most people do.

As for the white pad, I have never used it and never intended to either. I guess it could work but I've never tried it. The LC pads should work just fine for you.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

what color pad would you recommend for a pre-cleaner wax?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

what color pad would you recommend for a pre-cleaner wax?
You can go with White or Black. Personally, I would go with black at a lower speed, around 4.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

thank you sir... i put in a small order with you last night... can't wait to get it...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Got it, and thank you! Im currently out of the NRWS 8oz, but am arranging with Optimum to have them drop one off to you. You will probably get that before the remainder from Ca.