Need HELP deciding what to get.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Need HELP deciding what to get.

im a noob to the detailng world, and from what ive read ..... and read and read and read, no point really in waxing unless your going to be correcting and you need a PC or Flex for it.

so im wondering what would be a good "kit" to buy? this whole needing different types of pads for different jobs is confusing. any recommendations on products?

I have Meguiars Ultimate car compound and Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus. i was thinking about adding a Duraglos 105.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...googleproducts

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cab...-C7424XP-LCKIT

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...medium=organic

the car was detailed from the dealership, and there are no visible swirls or defects. looking to apply a few coats of polish and sealant.

2009 Acura TL-Sh-AWD in PMM

ANY AND ALL ADVICE/GUIDANCE/CRITICISM is welcomed.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Mo,

First, I found my Porter Cable used on Craig's List-I got lucky.

Second, I would put some of our Vendor's to good use. First I'd call Nick at AutoGeek.net and talk to him about your specific color TL and see what he suggests. He's great to talk to in person and will steer you in the right direction!

Meg's is good stuff, but there is more "exotic" stuff on the market that I've tried and really liked. I've used the Duragloss with good success. I've also used Dodo Juice wax and really loved it.

Currently, I'm using Griot's Garage products and am very, very happy and satisfied with them. I've also used Zaino products and liked them a lot too. But your car should probably be already corrected before using Zaino.

I've signed up for a few e-newsletters (Griot's, Autogeek, Detailed Image). They always have stuff on sale and bring new products to the market.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAbbas
im a noob to the detailng world, and from what ive read ..... and read and read and read, no point really in waxing unless your going to be correcting and you need a PC or Flex for it.
Wherever you read that or whoever told you that, it's Even if the paint isn't 100% perfect/swirl-free, a wax still serves a purpose.... to protect the paint from further contamination and damage such as bird poop. A wax can also help maintain the paints condition, such as preventing it from fading or developing clearcoat failure.

so im wondering what would be a good "kit" to buy? this whole needing different types of pads for different jobs is confusing. any recommendations on products?
The Porter Cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage Random Orbital would be good choices. Wait for a possible Labor Day sale from one of our vendors here. Detailed Image has run a few specials where you can get, for example, the Griot's Random Orbital with 6 pads for a nice discount.

the car was detailed from the dealership, and there are no visible swirls or defects. looking to apply a few coats of polish and sealant.
If there are "no visible swirls or defects," then why do you want to apply "a few coats of polish?" Not to mention a polish isn't applied or layered like a wax/sealant is. I think you're confused about what a polish is.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Mo,

First, I found my Porter Cable used on Craig's List-I got lucky.

Second, I would put some of our Vendor's to good use. First I'd call Nick at AutoGeek.net and talk to him about your specific color TL and see what he suggests. He's great to talk to in person and will steer you in the right direction!

Meg's is good stuff, but there is more "exotic" stuff on the market that I've tried and really liked. I've used the Duragloss with good success. I've also used Dodo Juice wax and really loved it.

Currently, I'm using Griot's Garage products and am very, very happy and satisfied with them. I've also used Zaino products and liked them a lot too. But your car should probably be already corrected before using Zaino.

I've signed up for a few e-newsletters (Griot's, Autogeek, Detailed Image). They always have stuff on sale and bring new products to the market.
thanks for the info,

i did go on craigslist, found a few deals i really liked, but the only thing i'll get out of that is a restraining order, been vigorously emailing and "spamming" the guy.

I'll call nick tomorrow, probably can find his number somewhere on one of these threads, vendors page i bet, i'll look there first.

I want that mirror finish look, but with my PMM, dark gray essentially, it seems like it wouldnt be as pronounced. i was wanting to go with Zaino, but i wanna have someone tell me im good to go with it, and then i'll proceed. not sure if i can mess up whats there, thats the scary part when i have never detailed and no one i know details.

Originally Posted by AZuser
Wherever you read that or whoever told you that, it's Even if the paint isn't 100% perfect/swirl-free, a wax still serves a purpose.... to protect the paint from further contamination and damage such as bird poop. A wax can also help maintain the paints condition, such as preventing it from fading or developing clearcoat failure.

The Porter Cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage Random Orbital would be good choices. Wait for a possible Labor Day sale from one of our vendors here. Detailed Image has run a few specials where you can get, for example, the Griot's Random Orbital with 6 pads for a nice discount.

If there are "no visible swirls or defects," then why do you want to apply "a few coats of polish?" Not to mention a polish isn't applied or layered like a wax/sealant is. I think you're confused about what a polish is.
i missed the labor day sale by 2 days i'll see what nick has to say if he can give me a noob discount

yeah i messed up when i was typing. from my understanding, i should, wash, clay, 50/50 ipa/water wipe, POLISH, sealant/wax^n.

busy studying and all i do is study medicine and read the forums to see what i can do with my car.

thanks for the help.

question to all, any of the vendors in NJ? seems like there all in FL.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-29-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

yeah i messed up when i was typing. from my understanding, i should, wash, clay, 50/50 ipa/water wipe, POLISH, sealant/wax^n.
You do the IPA wipe AFTER the polish step and before the sealant ... and you don't need to seal & wax ... a sealant does the same as wax but better ....
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM
moabizzi

i put sealant/wax because im still unsure of which to use. sealant for protection and wax for deep rich color. wash, clay, polish, ipa, sealant or wax.

so i called up nick today from autogeek and i left him a msg and i didnt get a call back, so i got really antsy and had to pick up a PC. i picked one up from tools-plus for 157 shipped. this is what was included:

The 7424XP-LC KIT includes:

Model 7424XP Car Buffer Polisher
One (1) 54745 6" Polishing Pad
One (1) Astro Pneumatic 4606 Hook and Loop Pad
One (1) 6" Counterweight
One (1) 5" Counterweight (mounted on unit)
Operating Manual
Wrench
Side Handle
One (1) Orange CCS Pad - Light to Moderate Scratch Removal
One (1) White CCS Pad - Pre-wax cleaner, Wax, or Sealant
One (1) Black CCS Pad - Paste Application, Sealant, Glaze or Liquid wax
One (1) Blue CCS Pad - Final Waxing or Glazing
BONUS 16 x 16 Micro Fiber Detailing Cloth

cant wait now!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
One orange and white pad isn't going to be enough if you're planning to do the whole car. Personally, I would have skipped the black and blue pads (I prefer applying a sealant/wax by hand) and gotten at least another (if not two) orange and white pad.

The same goes for microfiber towels. You'll want to have plenty of them to replace the ones that get dirty, dropped, etc.

Last edited by AZuser; 08-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by AZuser
One orange and white pad isn't going to be enough if you're planning to do the whole car. Personally, I would have skipped the black and blue pads (I prefer applying a sealant/wax by hand) and gotten at least another (if not two) orange and white pad.

The same goes for microfiber towels. You'll want to have plenty of them to replace the ones that get dirty, dropped, etc.
Just ordered 3 more pads,

5.5" Orange White and Gray.

I have 7 Microfiber towels, i need to find a microfiber bonnet. 4 waffle weave, 2 mcguiars brand and 1 coming with the PC.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Nice Mo - I would be excited too if I ordered that kit.! +1 for having ALOT of MF towels.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by LawnPro
Nice Mo - I would be excited too if I ordered that kit.! +1 for having ALOT of MF towels.
yeah, i watched the whole meguairs training video:

and would 7 MF towels be considered a lot? i see some people who took pics of it with like 30 or 40 towels.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Just ordered 3 more pads,

5.5" Orange White and Gray.

I have 7 Microfiber towels, i need to find a microfiber bonnet. 4 waffle weave, 2 mcguiars brand and 1 coming with the PC.
What for?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
What for?
you can add it to a clean pad and use that to wipe off and shine on the final sealant stages. instead of doing it by hand, im in the phase where i want everything i see, not the, i know exactly what i need.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

you can add it to a clean pad and use that to wipe off and shine on the final sealant stages. instead of doing it by hand, im in the phase where i want everything i see, not the, i know exactly what i need.
You also risk marring the hell out of the paint doing that , your rubbing dried product into the surface in circular motions.

Sealants should be removed by hand and in straight lines using a good quality MF that is folded and not scrunched up.
The following users liked this post:
MoAbbas (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
You also risk marring the hell out of the paint doing that , your rubbing dried product into the surface in circular motions.

Sealants should be removed by hand and in straight lines using a good quality MF that is folded and not scrunched up.
thanks, i was gonna order the bonnet, but oh well, no need to.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 PM
moabizzi

So i got the PC today, basically 1 day after ordering it. ordered august 29th around 920pm, cause i posted what i got after i ordered it.

pretty surprised how fast everything came, and how heavy the PC is. wasnt thinking it would be that heavy. but seems like a solid tool that i'll have in my garage for a long time to come.