Need of great advice from Detail experts

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need of great advice from Detail experts

ok i just recently bought a udm + optimum trio set (polish, compound, & hyper compound) and duragloss 105 from exceldetail (thx pat work great, shines like crazy in hawaii weather )
but now, i'll be doing my brothers car which is Nighthawk Black. i know for a fact that its a challenge to get all the swirls out and color black show all mistake..

so can any pro detailer give me some tips/advices on my next project
thx~
Old 09-27-2008, 07:24 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Jumping right into NBP...brave man!

It's going to depend on a lot of factors. How bad of condition is the NBP? What pad selection do you have?

My recommendation would be to start with the least aggressive combo (as always), and see what level of correction you get. OP usually does a good job on NBP, but you may need to step up if there are deeper defects. OC and heavier will leave a tremendous amount of hazing on the finish, but don't worry, it will come up with a finer polish. You actually need a finer polish than OP to finish off NBP properly. If you have grey pads, use those with OP as a finishing step if you're not able to get a finer polish like Optimum Poli-Seal (looks tremendous on NBP). Even OPS with a grey pad will leave ultra-fine marring on the finish, but it's so fine that most people would never notice it. NBP really requires something like 3M Ultrafina SE or Menzerna PO85RD for a finishing polishing if you want to achieve absolute perfection.

I own a NBP TL-S, and use Optimum, Menzerna, and 3M products...I have tested many different combos on this finish to see what works.

Don't get me wrong, you can achieve a tremendous finish with OP and OPS. It's just when you're chasing that last 5% that you need to step up to the high $$ ultra fine polishes combined with blue or red pads.

I would highly recommend adding OPS to your arsenal. It's super easy to apply, and can be used either as a light polish or as a finishing polish. I'll usually use it with a white pad for light correction, or apply it with a grey pad if using it as a finish polish or topper. It leaves a high gloss, and a very slick finish.

The photo in my avatar is after polishing with OPS!

Last edited by TSC17; 09-27-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Great advice!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:11 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great advice TSC!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TSC17
Jumping right into NBP...brave man!

It's going to depend on a lot of factors. How bad of condition is the NBP? What pad selection do you have?

My recommendation would be to start with the least aggressive combo (as always), and see what level of correction you get. OP usually does a good job on NBP, but you may need to step up if there are deeper defects. OC and heavier will leave a tremendous amount of hazing on the finish, but don't worry, it will come up with a finer polish. You actually need a finer polish than OP to finish off NBP properly. If you have grey pads, use those with OP as a finishing step if you're not able to get a finer polish like Optimum Poli-Seal (looks tremendous on NBP). Even OPS with a grey pad will leave ultra-fine marring on the finish, but it's so fine that most people would never notice it. NBP really requires something like 3M Ultrafina SE or Menzerna PO85RD for a finishing polishing if you want to achieve absolute perfection.

I own a NBP TL-S, and use Optimum, Menzerna, and 3M products...I have tested many different combos on this finish to see what works.

Don't get me wrong, you can achieve a tremendous finish with OP and OPS. It's just when you're chasing that last 5% that you need to step up to the high $$ ultra fine polishes combined with blue or red pads.

I would highly recommend adding OPS to your arsenal. It's super easy to apply, and can be used either as a light polish or as a finishing polish. I'll usually use it with a white pad for light correction, or apply it with a grey pad if using it as a finish polish or topper. It leaves a high gloss, and a very slick finish.

The photo in my avatar is after polishing with OPS!
wow thx guys .. and its a 08 tl-s so i have to be very careful

the pads i have is basic i think orange/white/red. and i dont have OPS but i do have duragloss 105 is that alright?
recently i see alot ppl talking about the OPS, is it something i should get for future use on dark/black cars or overall? i really like optimum products and i think i will take ur advice.

really thx all you, im really enjoy detailing, its my stress reliever and in the future i'll do some side jobs when i get better
Old 09-28-2008, 01:12 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by TSC17
Even OPS with a grey pad will leave ultra-fine marring on the finish, but it's so fine that most people would never notice it. NBP really requires something like 3M Ultrafina SE or Menzerna PO85RD for a finishing polishing if you want to achieve absolute perfection.
Just wondering since I've never had a chance to play with any Menzerna polishes before, but how does PO106FF compare to PO85RD? Does PO106FF give the better finish (is it a finer polish?)?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 AM
The Detailer

I believe PO106FF is rated for normal clearcoats while PO85RD is rated for ceramiclear clearcoats.

From what I've read, PO85RD seems to not finish so well on softer paints.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZuser
Just wondering since I've never had a chance to play with any Menzerna polishes before, but how does PO106FF compare to PO85RD? Does PO106FF give the better finish (is it a finer polish?)?
106ff has a rated cut of 2.5 , 85rd has a rated cut of 1.5 thus, allowing a better finish. I use 85rd after 106ff on most jobs
Old 09-28-2008, 10:42 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
See article in DetailingWiki; Polishing - Menzerna Polishes -http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?title=Polishing_-_Menzerna_Polishes
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by Deep Gloss
106ff has a rated cut of 2.5 , 85rd has a rated cut of 1.5 thus, allowing a better finish. I use 85rd after 106ff on most jobs
Dang, I was thinking PO87MC instead of PO106FF... I confused myself, LoL.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
There has been some recent discussion about Menzerna using fillers.....I guess the best way to find out is with an IPA wipedown. On another note, the New Optimum Polish was designed at OEM level, at a G.M. Plant. Its currently in use at the facility. There will more then likely be another release of a slightly less aggressive polish, for those of us who may find it a little aggressive for a "polish".
Old 09-28-2008, 11:26 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
There has been some recent discussion about Menzerna using fillers.....I guess the best way to find out is with an IPA wipedown. On another note, the New Optimum Polish was designed at OEM level, at a G.M. Plant. Its currently in use at the facility. There will more then likely be another release of a slightly less aggressive polish, for those of us who may find it a little aggressive for a "polish".
Good info Patrick, thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Denzil
I believe PO106FF is rated for normal clearcoats while PO85RD is rated for ceramiclear clearcoats..
Super Intensive Polish (SIP), Power Finish (PO203S) and Nano Polish (106FF) these polishes are formulated for scratch resistant clear coats (i.e. CeramiClear, etc) , which contain nano ceramic particles, these micro diminishing abrasives are milled finer and much harder, and also contain a higher abrasive content, 7% were as the other polishes contain 3% abrasives.. Menzerna Nano Polish is currently used in Mercedes plants in Germany and in auto plants throughout the U. S. to create the reflective gloss on brand new scratch resistant paint finishes

From what I've read, PO85RD seems to not finish so well on softer paints.
PO 85 RD 3.01 Super Intensive Polish (F) black or dark coloured paint surfaces, and 'soft' paint - 1200 RPM -White primary (softer less dense foam (70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action ) LC CCS foam pad followed by a secondary Blue finishing (very soft 100 PPI) LC CCS foam pad - 1100 RPM
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Super Intensive Polish (SIP), Power Finish (PO203S) and Nano Polish (106FF) these polishes are formulated for scratch resistant clear coats (i.e. CeramiClear, etc) , which contain nano ceramic particles, these micro diminishing abrasives are milled finer and much harder, and also contain a higher abrasive content, 7% were as the other polishes contain 3% abrasives.. Menzerna Nano Polish is currently used in Mercedes plants in Germany and in auto plants throughout the U. S. to create the reflective gloss on brand new scratch resistant paint finishes
Well, I guess I was wrong about 106FF, LoL.

Originally Posted by TOGWT
PO 85 RD 3.01 Super Intensive Polish (F) black or dark coloured paint surfaces, and 'soft' paint - 1200 RPM -White primary (softer less dense foam (70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action ) LC CCS foam pad followed by a secondary Blue finishing (very soft 100 PPI) LC CCS foam pad - 1100 RPM
I actually did mean PO85RD and not SIP or PO85RD3.02 here though.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
How do the speed settings (1, 2, 3, etc.) on the new UDM translate to RPMs?