My 06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 09:43 PM
Cruising in my

My 06 TL

My 2006 TL aspec 6MT is going to be a year old this July and I'm noticing some swirls in the paint now and I'm getting concerned. It's just not as clean as I'd like it to be.
Please don't flame me but I've never really done much to the exterior of the car except frequent washes with my Mequires car wash stuff, Karcher pressure washer, and what I think is a sheep wash glove. I've been using mostly cotton cloths for drying but I've been doing some research and I kinda have an idea what I need.

For cloths I'm going to get the waffle weave, microfiber, terry cloth, and probably a new wash glove cause the hair fibers are falling out of mine.
I'll use the 2 bucket method I read about from now on.
I'm going to keep using my Meguires car wash.

I'm hoping to try claying my car but keep in mind I've never tried it before. I have read a few threads on it and feel comfortable enough to try it though. I just don't know the steps to do after claying to keep my car protected.

I read another guys post and he said:

wash > clay > polish > sealant > wax

I'm just unsure about polishing and the sealant.
What is the process and the result of polish, sealant and wax and how is the outcome of each different?
What products are good? Would I be okay sticking with one brand like Meguires or Mothers for all the products? and would I be O.K. to do all this by hand?

(Sorry I know it seems like a lot but I care about my car and I want to keep it looking good) I'll post a pic of her taken at a meet in April.
Old 05-31-2007 | 09:45 PM
Cruising in my

Old 06-01-2007 | 01:08 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Looks good from afar. Maybe some close ups of the problem areas will help the pros here give you a more defined plan.

BTW, AWESOME backdrop for the photos!! Wish you had zoomed out a bit...
Old 06-01-2007 | 07:38 AM
Cruising in my

Ask and you shall receive!
This is taken from the Canmore Nordic Centre in Alberta. It was used in the 1988 Calgary Olympics.
Back onto the topic of my car. I was browsing the MOTHERS site and there's tons of information on there about car care. I found it very helpful! I'm going to buy some products today hopefully after work!

Old 06-01-2007 | 10:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eh? spec
. . . I'm hoping to try claying my car but keep in mind I've never tried it before. I have read a few threads on it and feel comfortable enough to try it though. I just don't know the steps to do after claying to keep my car protected.

I read another guys post and he said:

wash > clay > polish > sealant > wax

I'm just unsure about polishing and the sealant.
What is the process and the result of polish, sealant and wax and how is the outcome of each different?
What products are good? Would I be okay sticking with one brand like Meguires or Mothers for all the products? and would I be O.K. to do all this by hand?

(Sorry I know it seems like a lot but I care about my car and I want to keep it looking good) I'll post a pic of her taken at a meet in April.
Polishing is the process of correcting/removing surface defects and cleansing the paint using a product containing diminishing abrasives. The process will also add gloss and reflectivity and I think one of the other detailing sites calls it paint rejuvenation. Most polishes do not have the capability to protect and sealing is the final step. This process protects the paint from the elements using synthetic or natural waxes. Synthetics will have durability and longevity compared to natural waxes and can last anywhere from 5-6 months with regular upkeep.

As far as products are concerned, there are many products available be it OTC or online and it really comes down to personal choice. Every product line has a loyal following. In addition to Megs and Mothers, you'll read or hear about others like Poorboys, Optimum, Menzerna, Four Star, Zaino, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, etc. The one common thing among all these - they were designed to protect the painted surface. Bottom line is if you like the end result a particular brand, continue to use it. You can check out this thread and see what products some of forum members prefer.
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:25 AM
Cruising in my

So is a wax a type of sealant then?
I notice Meg's doesn't sell a sealant.

After I clay my car would I ok to polish then wax and thats it?

I'm going to go to "Canadian Tire" after work to buy some stuff so I just want to know what I need.
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eh? spec
So is a wax a type of sealant then?
I notice Meg's doesn't sell a sealant.

After I clay my car would I ok to polish then wax and thats it?

I'm going to go to "Canadian Tire" after work to buy some stuff so I just want to know what I need.
Yea, you could call it a sealant and their main goal is to protect. Synthetic waxes are more often referred to as sealants and a carnuba is often to referred to a wax. Perhaps this article will give you a more definitive explanation. BTW, Megs does have a sealant (#20 & #21) or NXT.

After claying, polishing would be the next step followed by sealing.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 06-01-2007 at 11:36 AM.