Mothers Reflections Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mothers Reflections Impressions

I have not seen that many posts about the Mothers Reflections line so I thought I would post my experience.

Background
I have an 05 SSM/Ebony TL manufactured in April and purchased in June. The dealer did not do a detailed prep. In August I clayed the car and applied two coats of Meguiars NXT (12 hours in-between to cure). I always wash the car myself using NXT Carwash and frequently use the NXT QD.

NXT never got the finish as slippery as I would like (I previously used Zaino on a dark blue SAAB), but even over 8 weeks later, it still beads relatively well. The NXT provided a respectable shine and helped the metallic flakes pop (a particular problem with the SSM, which IMO often looks like primer).

Applying Reflections
Washed with NXT (I love Meguiar's Water Magnet); the TL didn't need to be clayed. I applied one coat of the Reflections "Car Wax" (using Meguiars Even Applicator) which is a polymer sealant with some light cleaners. It went on similar to NXT, but slightly more effort than is required by Zaino. It wiped right off using MF towels from Costco.

I allowed about 2 hours for additional curing then applied one coat of Reflections "Top Coat" using the Even Applicator. "Top Coat" is a polymer-carnauba hybrid with no cleaners. It went on easier and had a thinner consistency than the "Car Wax". It also wiped right off.

Both products have a nice fragrance.

I also bought the Reflections all-in-one leather cleaner and conditioner. I love this stuff - I have already given my remaining bottles of Lexol away. It smells great, left a nice matte finish and didn't need a second wipe-down. Anyone trying to avoid shiny black leather, I would recommend this product! The Reflections Tire Care doesn't appear to be anything special.

Results
I just did this today, so it probably hasn't fully cured nor can I speak to product longevity. My initial impressions are positive - the shine is definitely superior to NXT and comparable to Zaino (somewhat hard to judge since it is two different cars). The surface is also much slicker than with NXT; 95% as good as Zaino (although that may improve as the product fully cures over the next day or two... I hope). FYI: When I used Zaino, I would usually do 3 (1 of Z-5 and 2 of Z-2) coats and apply the gloss enhancer in between.

I initially was attracted to Reflections because it is OTC, you can layer the "Top Coat" product and to try to find something that lasts longer than NXT. I ended up having to buy direct from Mothers since I couldn't find anyone carrying "Top Coat", consequently it was no longer an OTC solution for me. I will probably put another coat of "Top Coat" on the TL next weekend to see how much improvement it offers (i.e. is there any value to layering "Top Coat"). I will also be looking to see how much the metallic flake pops after the product fully cures - right now I am only see a lot of light being reflected (no pun intended).
Old 11-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Great review! Info like this is what makes this forum stand out from the others.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Update...

I put a second coat of Top Coat on my TL this morning. The metallic flakes in the SSM really pop now and the second coat also added some additional depth. The car looks great.

My one concern is durability. The car lost more of the "slipperiness" than I would have like in the past week. However, the dealer washed my car on Thursday (despite my request not to) but I am going to forgive them since the fixed the only rattle in my car! I am thinking I may also switch car wash products; I am currently using NXT but may switch to either Mothers Carnauba Gold or Meguiar's Gold Class. I was amazed by Zaino's ability to maintain "slipperiness" but I was also using their car wash exclusively.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Racer

i heard that the NXT is actually better then Gold Class (more slipery)
Old 11-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by micvog
Update...

I put a second coat of Top Coat on my TL this morning. The metallic flakes in the SSM really pop now and the second coat also added some additional depth. The car looks great.

My one concern is durability. The car lost more of the "slipperiness" than I would have like in the past week. However, the dealer washed my car on Thursday (despite my request not to) but I am going to forgive them since the fixed the only rattle in my car! I am thinking I may also switch car wash products; I am currently using NXT but may switch to either Mothers Carnauba Gold or Meguiar's Gold Class. I was amazed by Zaino's ability to maintain "slipperiness" but I was also using their car wash exclusively.
I am using the NXT car wash with Blackfire product for wax, it seems like as soon as I wash the car it looses some slipperiness. From now I am going to use the Blackfire carwash to see if there is a difference or not.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thAviEtbOi 37
i heard that the NXT is actually better then Gold Class (more slipery)
I was using the NXT wash because I thought it would work better with the NXT wax. But looking at the Meguiar's online forums, it appears that the Gold Class is their better wash. The NXT apparently is designed for use with hard water; the Gold Class is best to maintain shine and slipperiness.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThaShef
I am using the NXT car wash with Blackfire product for wax, it seems like as soon as I wash the car it looses some slipperiness. From now I am going to use the Blackfire carwash to see if there is a difference or not.
Thanks ThaShef. That makes me feel better. Let me know your results.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:47 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Sorry, I just let my .Mac account expire. If someone wants to host the pics, I would be glad to take some and e-mail the pics to them.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by micvog
Sorry, I just let my .Mac account expire. If someone wants to host the pics, I would be glad to take some and e-mail the pics to them.
Open an account with Photobucket. Upload your pics to their server and copy the IMG URL. Click on the "Go Advanced" button on the thread you want to post on and when the window opens click on the image icon on the toolbar. Paste the IMG URL and click preview post. Voila, picture posted.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the assist Hawhyen51.

Here are four images; the purpose of the last image is to show the effect of the Reflections Tire Care. Most of the pics are in the shade - pics of the car in the sun show too much shine/reflection to be useful. The third pic appears to give the most accurate indication of the amount of metallic pop; there was a definite improvement over the NXT in that category.

The pictures were taken about 1 week after the Top Coat was applied. The car had just been washed with NXT.

Last edited by micvog; 11-13-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Reflections today for the first time on the roof of my Expedition. I have to say im impressed with user ease, big time....Not much in the way of cleaning power, so the surface should be pretty satisfactory. But smells great, spreads nice, and wipes just as easily as the best i have used, i.e. Blackfire, UPP, UPPS, EX-P, Optimum. (Dare I even mention NXT?)
Old 11-23-2005, 08:03 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been using so many products for such a long time. NXT is incredibly easy, but since it is a synthetic wax, putting on one coat or ten coats wont make a difference. NXT does not layer like a traditional wax would, so you are really wasting your time by applying more than one coat.

Other than that, looks HOT! I miss my silver cars.....

On another note, Meguiars Color-X is also very impressive....nice shine, easy app and removal.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Did you use any polishes before you applied Reflections?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Instructor

I did not. The car had been clayed and NXT'd about 2-3 months prior. I used the Reflections Car Wax which has a very mild cleaner and then the Top Coat.