Meguirs Gold Class Wax

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 04:03 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguirs Gold Class Wax

Anyone out there use the Meguirs Gold Class wax yet? I just got some and was wondering how I could use it to get the best results
Old 07-02-2001, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gold Class is some good wax kid. Just put it on like you would w/ any other wax. It's any easy application. 1-2-3. Pe@ce!
Old 07-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Yup, use Meguiar's Gold Class exclusively. It is good stuff. I apply it with a power buffer, but you can get great results by hand. They used to make a product called "Clear Coat Prep/Swirl Reducer" that you apply first, but I don't see it in the stores or catalog anymore. It acted as a VERY light cleaner and a polish to put oil into your paint and give it good depth. You might try calling their 800 number and ask if they have replaced it, or what to use instead.

How you wax really depends on the condition of your paint (i.e. is it oxidized, and if so, to what degree). If it is oxidized, use a pre-wax cleaner first but make sure it's ok for clear coats. Also be sure to clay bar your paint. You'll be shocked at how well this one step prepares paint for waxing. In order, I'd go this route:

1) Pre-wax cleaner (if oxidized).

2) Clay bar, then wash.

3) Clear coat prep or polish or glaze, whichever is available to put oil into your paint.

4) Wax. One coat is good, two are better.

By the way...don't bother with Meguiar's car wash liquid. The stuff is crap. I will qualify this by saying that here in Texas we have very hard water which knocks suds down in a hurry, but Meguiars doesn't last at all. I use Armor-All car wash liquid. It doesn't cost a fortune, the suds really hang in and it doesn't strip your paint.

Hope this helps...Good luck
Old 07-03-2001, 12:38 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,180 Likes on 688 Posts
I just finished waxing my car using the gold class. Just clayed and then used some of their swirl reducer stuff and applied the wax. Looks great Granted it took me hours it was well worth it and a lot cheaper than this Zaino stuff everyone raves about.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:17 AM
Instructor

I use the Gold Class on my black CLS too. It's wonderful. After wiping the wax off with some microfiber towels I go back over it with some wet&shine detail spray...No streaks or residue when you pull it out in the sun!
Old 07-04-2001, 04:21 AM
Pro

I just got the Mothers Clay Bar. Hopefully this week I can try it out if it doesn't rain here in Texas this week. I'll post my results. And how do you know if your car is oxidized?
Old 07-04-2001, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by MikeSwing:
<STRONG>And how do you know if your car is oxidized?</STRONG>
It's usually when you notice a lack of glossiness in the paint and the finish has a real dull/matte look (and feel?) to it.
Old 07-04-2001, 04:05 PM
Pro

Another question I have is about Zaino? What is it? I super type of wax? Where can I get it? Is it better than the Meguirs Gold Class?
Old 07-05-2001, 12:58 AM
Intermediate

Who makes that wet and shine? The Meguires quick detailer seems to leave streaks as well as a residue on my black CLS
Originally posted by Driven:
<STRONG>I use the Gold Class on my black CLS too. It's wonderful. After wiping the wax off with some microfiber towels I go back over it with some wet&shine detail spray...No streaks or residue when you pull it out in the sun!</STRONG>
Old 07-05-2001, 02:08 AM
w.t.f., mate?

I use it!

I luv that shizzit
Old 07-05-2001, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by bry_lee:
<STRONG>Who makes that wet and shine? The Meguires quick detailer seems to leave streaks as well as a residue on my black CLS
</STRONG>
I use the Eagle One wipe and shine (correction) with microfiber towels...one to apply, and one to wipe it off with. I'm sure the Meguiars is very similar....Personally I think the secret is in the microfiber towels...they're great!
Old 07-05-2001, 02:51 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by MikeSwing:
<STRONG>Another question I have is about Zaino? What is it? I super type of wax? Where can I get it? Is it better than the Meguirs Gold Class?</STRONG>
From what I've heard and seen, Zaino is very good stuff if you have the time. My friends use it on their cars and it looks very good...but not worth the trade-off in time for me at least. A high quality wax like Meguiars in a day works for me. The main selling point for me to buy any Zaino is the fact that it does not cause "static cling" like ordinary waxes which ironically attracts dust after you've shined your car.
You usually have to get Zaino thru the mail... www.zainobros.com

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Driven ]