Meguiars Quik Detailer - Damage Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Meguiars Quik Detailer - Damage Paint?

So last week I didn't have the time for a total wash, so I saw my dad had some Quik Detailer in the garage and used it: car came out nice for a quick wipe down. Today I finally washed it, applied some after it was dry and it came out awesome. However, I was thinking about a while ago where my friend told me that's how he keeps his car clean by just wipe on/ wipe off of the stuff, but if you're not careful, you can mess up your car's paint. Is it that easy for such a simple concept to ruin the finish? And are there any signs that I messed up my paint? These two times I followed the directions on the bottle (wet and dry cloth), but I used two cloths this time instead of folding the cloth like last time. Thanks for any info.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
you can scratch the finish if you use a really dirty microfiber or a papertowel.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Over what she said above the biggest problem is people us a QD on a car that too dusty and the dust acts like sand paper .... you end up with a lot of micro marring ..

Now a bunch of the guys with white/silver/grey cars etc will call bullshit but it is happening .. just not as visable .. you will see it first on dark blue & black.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^if its that dusty...ONR wash.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMike93
So last week I didn't have the time for a total wash, so I saw my dad had some Quik Detailer in the garage and used it: car came out nice for a quick wipe down. Today I finally washed it, applied some after it was dry and it came out awesome. However, I was thinking about a while ago where my friend told me that's how he keeps his car clean by just wipe on/ wipe off of the stuff, but if you're not careful, you can mess up your car's paint. Is it that easy for such a simple concept to ruin the finish? And are there any signs that I messed up my paint? These two times I followed the directions on the bottle (wet and dry cloth), but I used two cloths this time instead of folding the cloth like last time. Thanks for any info.
How dirty was the car before you used the QD?

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^if its that dusty...ONR wash.
Yes ma'am! I use ONR for just about every wash!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i love ONR...makes washing the cars so much easier. unless the car is really gross...then i have to bust out the hose. though i rarely let it get that way.

makes a pretty decent QD as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
That QD sucks on darker cars...if it's the red bottle, I threw a full one away because I hated how it left the car. I have NBP too and I don't bother with anything unless I have the hose going.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the meg's stuff in the red bottle is fine for claying. i started using the meg's professional detailer spray-its pink and smells like coconuts...better stuff. the consumer stuff is hit and miss dependng on the color of the car.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM

^^^right...that's exactly it...I didn't know that when I bought it...so I tossed it. I usually clay with Zaino z-6 or water.

I LOVE the quik wax from megs in the black bottle...that leaves a great finish even though only lasts a week.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the ultimate quick wax? i use that stuff too. nice stuff. the pink stuff from meg's last touch spray detailer. got a gallon of it. cheaper to buy in bulk. leaves a nice finish to the car with a touch on coconut.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Well, I do love coconuts...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Over what she said above the biggest problem is people us a QD on a car that too dusty and the dust acts like sand paper .... you end up with a lot of micro marring ..

Now a bunch of the guys with white/silver/grey cars etc will call bullshit but it is happening .. just not as visable .. you will see it first on dark blue & black.

I've got white and I agree 100%. I won't use QD to wipe a dirty car. I don't trust that dust and grime will get "suspended" away from the paint.

I'd rather give it quick wash than try to clean a car with QD. Whatever swirls you might get on a white car will stand out 10x more on a dark car.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I have an ABP TL and the meg's QD, I wouldn't recommend it. But that it just because I stay away from QDs in general. QDs are only really effective when you are just using it for clay bars. If you want a waxed finish just use wax.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
How dirty was the car before you used the QD?
It was mildly dirty for the first time I used it. For my taste, it wasn't filthy, but did need a wipe down. The cloth was pretty much filthy when I was finished. I will say it did a great job of giving my car that +1 after I washed it since it looked amazing. I was also wondering why on the bottle it explicitly says to not let it dry on the vehicle. My car is white, so swirls and micro scratches are mostly visible only under direct light. But on an 11 year old car, it probably needs a detail in the spring. And what is ONR?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
I have an ABP TL and the meg's QD, I wouldn't recommend it. But that it just because I stay away from QDs in general. QDs are only really effective when you are just using it for clay bars. If you want a waxed finish just use wax.
I don't completely agree with that. I think a QD can be effective if used properly. It's not a substitute for washing a dirty car and it's not a substitute for using a wax/sealant. It's possibly confusion on the end user side thinking the QD is going to "protect" the paint! If protecting the paint is your goal, then yes I would say use a wax/sealant.

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
It was mildly dirty for the first time I used it. For my taste, it wasn't filthy, but did need a wipe down. The cloth was pretty much filthy when I was finished. I will say it did a great job of giving my car that +1 after I washed it since it looked amazing. I was also wondering why on the bottle it explicitly says to not let it dry on the vehicle. My car is white, so swirls and micro scratches are mostly visible only under direct light. But on an 11 year old car, it probably needs a detail in the spring. And what is ONR?
What type of cloth did you use to wipe down. Also, if it was filthy when you were done, that could be a good sign the car may have been too dirty to use the QD. If you must use the QD, then I would say use multiple microfibers when you QD the car. If one starts to get dirty, switch to a new. That way you are not trying to clean the car with something that is filthy.

ONR = Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

Google it and search the Wash/Wax section. Plenty of info on how it's used.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't think I've ever used a QD for the purpose of cleaning dust off my car. It's way too risky knowing that if you trap just one large enough particle and have it embedded in the MF, it's going to scratch every panel you go over. I always use a QD after a wash to add some extra gloss and whatever protection it may offer.

Also, whenever I wipe down my car with QD after a wash, the MF is perfectly clean. It should be that way otherwise it means you didn't wash your car very well. It's only wet from the solution and I use about 2-3 MF's for a car.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
I don't think I've ever used a QD for the purpose of cleaning dust off my car. It's way too risky knowing that if you trap just one large enough particle and have it embedded in the MF, it's going to scratch every panel you go over. I always use a QD after a wash to add some extra gloss and whatever protection it may offer.

Also, whenever I wipe down my car with QD after a wash, the MF is perfectly clean. It should be that way otherwise it means you didn't wash your car very well. It's only wet from the solution and I use about 2-3 MF's for a car.
This is very sound advice.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty

Extreemly sound advice... The only time I use it is if all I have on the REAR of the car is a little brake dust residue from driving a short distance to a car show .. and the rest of the car has a couple bugs etc.. otherwise I ONR it there, then QD.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I wash my car often- I like using Mother's Carnauba Wash and Wax and the Mother's or Meguiars Quick Detailer. I only use the QD after I have washed the car-
Today is a wash the car day after I get back from the beach.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 12-16-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Currently Post-Acura

I had just used the QD because there was stuff all over my car (trees going into winter stage?) and I didn't have the time for a full wash that week. I was able to wash my car earlier this week, so now I think I'll do like v|nsan|ty and use it for some extra shine. And normally my steps to wash my car are: rinse -> Meguiars Gold Class wash and conditioner (I have a hose attachment that mixes the soap with the flowing water) -> rinse -> Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner -> Rest of the Gold Class wash to make sure wheels are spotless -> Westley's Bleche Wite. Then use towels to dry entire car -> Meguiars NXT Generation Tire Shine -> Eagle One glass cleaner -> Meguiars Gold Class Leather Spray. Like I said, guess I can include the QD after drying now :roll eyes: And depending on need, vacuum carpets and/or scrub out my all-weather mats
Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Sounds like you take good care of your car. I like to use the megs QD, but only after a wash, dry, and wax. It is only going to give the car a little extra shine til the next wash, or between wax jobs.