Meguiars NXT thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 AM
01 CLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars NXT thoughts

I decided to try that new wax from Meguiars...NXT. Wax went on very easy and I would give it 7.5-8.0/10 for shine and depth. However it's only been about 3 weeks and I would say I've lost most of the shine. Very dissappointed! I'm NOT saying this is a bad wax, just stating my experience. Meguiars makes some very good products. Gonna take the plunge and try the Zaino stuff next, I'm tired of hearing about how great it is! Wanna see it for myself!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
However it's only been about 3 weeks and I would say I've lost most of the shine. Very dissappointed!
We could have saved you $15.00 if you asked first, as these are the findings of most who have used it before. It makes an attractive dust collector though......And if you ever need a whiff of something that smells decent, ya have it! Four Star UPP should be considered prior to the Zaino plunge...
Old 05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
01 CLS

exceldetail, why "Four Star UPP" before Zaino? I'm I missing something?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,403 Likes on 4,082 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
We could have saved you $15.00 if you asked first, as these are the findings of most who have used it before. It makes an attractive dust collector though......And if you ever need a whiff of something that smells decent, ya have it! Four Star UPP should be considered prior to the Zaino plunge...

Can the Four Star be applied over the NXT. I Just ordered some Four Star from YOU!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchCLS
I decided to try that new wax from Meguiars...NXT. Wax went on very easy and I would give it 7.5-8.0/10 for shine and depth. However it's only been about 3 weeks and I would say I've lost most of the shine. Very dissappointed! I'm NOT saying this is a bad wax, just stating my experience. Meguiars makes some very good products. Gonna take the plunge and try the Zaino stuff next, I'm tired of hearing about how great it is! Wanna see it for myself!
I'm very surprised. Sounds like a poor prep prior to the application of the NXT. I've had NXT on my car for 7 months and it still looks great. I would have to question how you prepped your car. Paint preparation is 90% of the prize. NXT tech wax (it's not a real wax) needs to be maintained using the NXT spray wax about every 4-6 weeks. The spray wax freshens up the top coat but does not add enough to call it another layer. If you have lost the shine then I bet your paint prep is the reason. Proper wash, clay, clean/polish, and finally the last step protection (NXT wax) is recommended.

I think it is only fair to judge a product if ALL of the steps are followed before making a judgement on a product. I am not a fan of Turtle Wax but if a car is prepped properly then it will look great even with Turtle Wax as the last step protection.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:51 PM
04 remembrance

NXT is one of my favorites, but I don't use them often for couple of reasons. 1) It attracts A LOT of dust. I've no clue to why, but every single time after 24 hours there's so much dust sitting on the hood. 2) One layer doesn't cut it- I usually need to apply three coats for the shine/depth to last 3-5 months (depending on the weather conditions).

Overall however (after three coats), I'd rate this product 8/10.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:52 PM
My first Avatar....

Can the NXT Tech Wax be layered? I know the Four Star PPD can be - That's why I'll make the switch. I want a BIG layer between the birds, and bugs, and my Night Hawk Black TL's paint.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by pttl
Can the NXT Tech Wax be layered? I know the Four Star PPD can be - That's why I'll make the switch. I want a BIG layer between the birds, and bugs, and my Night Hawk Black TL's paint.

I recommend using no more than 2-3 coats. Any more is a waste in my opinion.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 PM
My first Avatar....

So, even though the NXT has a light cleaner in it - It still adds to an older coat?

Cool!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Check out the July 2006 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. There is an article and ratings of different waxes. NXT ranked in the middle of the pack with Black Magic and Turtle Wax finishing with recommendations for gloss, durability, cleaning and value. It did not review the exotic waxes mentioned in this thread.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DutchCLS
exceldetail, why "Four Star UPP" before Zaino? I'm I missing something?
Im just saying it may be worth evaluating prior to making the Z plunge. They'll get you to use all of their product line. I actually use about three different product lines when I detail......I agree with Sweet too. Proper prep is most of the job....Too little credit goes to proper products as well.......I mean you cant do the right job without the right tools......
Old 05-31-2006, 01:21 AM
01 CLS

thanks for the info and suggestions guys. I did a 3 stage on my car, clay/paint cleaner, polish and 2 coats of NXT, I do agree the prep is everything. My only real point is I've used some better waxes in my time. NXT collects so much dust the car always seems dirty!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

NXT collects so much dust the car always seems dirty!
Thats inherant with just about any "good" Polymer product.......Imagine what the "real" good polymers collect!
It usually dissapates after the first wash or can quickly be alleviated/minimized by letting the car "cure" in the sun, then rewiping with a QD.........The sun will actually thin the oils out, and allow for better removal.....
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
My first Avatar....

Thats inherant with just about any "good" Polymer product.......Imagine what the "real" good polymers collect!
It usually dissapates after the first wash or can quickly be alleviated/minimized by letting the car "cure" in the sun, then rewiping with a QD.........The sun will actually thin the oils out, and allow for better removal.....

What can be used to repel dust? Carnuba over a Polymer?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

What can be used to repel dust? Carnuba over a Polymer?
Same process, allow the sun some time wihit to thin the oils, and wipe again. Carnaubas leave trace oils behind as well. If you want something dust free (seriously) go with Turtle Wax......its a lot cheaper, if you know what I mean.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
My first Avatar....

Same process, allow the sun some time wihit to thin the oils, and wipe again. Carnaubas leave trace oils behind as well. If you want something dust free (seriously) go with Turtle Wax......its a lot cheaper, if you know what I mean.
My FS UPP Just shipped. I'll be giving that a try next. Can that go on over NXT?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

You could but it really prefers a little more sterile surface!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patrick, any more info and pictures of the new pads?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Up until recently, I used NXT almost exclusively on my car. I use the 3 step process from Meguiars as well. It always looked great, but I noticed (as have others) that the NXT wax doesn't last very long.

I've recently switched over to Klassie AIO and P21S. I'm very happy with the results of this combo. I still use Meguiars NXT for the dash, but I'll probably change that in the future.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Patrick, any more info and pictures of the new pads?
I have the prototype pads. I have also placed my order and expect delivery in about 1 week. They will be called Excel-Erasure polishing pads. Will probably run around $9.75, give or take $.25 ! The prototypes are a little rough, so I opted to wait for the production pads.......
Old 06-01-2006, 11:53 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

UPP initially collects lots of dust. After a while it hardens up. Looks pretty much the same though.

Speaking of looks, UPP casts a black tint. You can see it when applying. Weird how different products have different light reflecting properties. Happy with 2 coats of UPP.

Great benefit to two coats of UPP.

exceldetail provides great service and advice. Not all microfibres are the same.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
At a NXT promotion, they put on some NXT on top of Zaino. There were some swirls on my hood, the guy worked in the NXT ... the swirls were gone.

Here's my question ... can I put the NXT on top of my current 2 coats of Zaino, put on the NXT to hide the swirls ... wait a day or two ... then put on a coat of Z2 to 'trap' it? In theory, it would work, but in practice, probably won't do a thing.

Many people I know who have used NXT say the shine does not last particularly long. Zaino keeps the car looking 'wet' longer.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by derrick
At a NXT promotion, they put on some NXT on top of Zaino. There were some swirls on my hood, the guy worked in the NXT ... the swirls were gone.

Here's my question ... can I put the NXT on top of my current 2 coats of Zaino, put on the NXT to hide the swirls ... wait a day or two ... then put on a coat of Z2 to 'trap' it? In theory, it would work, but in practice, probably won't do a thing.

Many people I know who have used NXT say the shine does not last particularly long. Zaino keeps the car looking 'wet' longer.
Please read my response earlier in this thread. I get tired of hearing about how NXT does not last long. If 6-7 months is not long enough before a wax then I do not know what is. If your car is prepped properly and you maintain the NXT with the NXT spray wax every 4-6 weeks then 6-7 months of NXT protection is no problem. I'm currently on month #7 and all is good with the shine and protection.

Also, why do you want to hide the swirls? Why not get rid of the swirls for good?
You will keep watching the swirs return again and again.

Last edited by SweetJazz; 06-02-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Also, why do you want to hide the swirls? Why not get rid of the swirls for good?
You will keep watching the swirs return again and again.
You're right -- I'm being a cheap-ass by trying to use a product when I should be going out and getting an orbital and doing the job right the first time. First, I have to remove a couple of dents (stupid mall parking lot ) and a couple of door dings, then get it detailed properly.

I have used Dawn, clayed, washed then applied Z1, Z2 to the car and it looks great. Zaino Z5, however, does not do a particularly good job with swirls. Looks great from about 5' but when you get up close, you can see the swirls.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by derrick
You're right -- I'm being a cheap-ass by trying to use a product when I should be going out and getting an orbital and doing the job right the first time. First, I have to remove a couple of dents (stupid mall parking lot ) and a couple of door dings, then get it detailed properly.

I have used Dawn, clayed, washed then applied Z1, Z2 to the car and it looks great. Zaino Z5, however, does not do a particularly good job with swirls. Looks great from about 5' but when you get up close, you can see the swirls.
Those paintless dent removal guys work miracles. I love them.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use #21. It's the DA/PC version of NXT. It's much thinner and easier to apply. Because it is so easy to apply, I can put a coat on every month on my car without much effort and longevity doesn't become an issue anymore.

NXT probably still protects, but the shine and slickness does not last. That's why they made NXT spray wax. The paste/liquid wax protects, while the spray wax gives it shine.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by aaronng
I use #21. It's the DA/PC version of NXT. It's much thinner and easier to apply. Because it is so easy to apply, I can put a coat on every month on my car without much effort and longevity doesn't become an issue anymore.

NXT probably still protects, but the shine and slickness does not last. That's why they made NXT spray wax. The paste/liquid wax protects, while the spray wax gives it shine.
I recently ordered some #21. If it lasts longer than the NXT wax then I may get a full year before reapplying.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Racer

Question

I would wax my car with turtle wax paste, cover it and the next morning it would be COVERED with dust. WTF? It doesnt help that my car is a dark color. Maybe this happened before on my old white car and i just didnt noticed it.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
I recently ordered some #21. If it lasts longer than the NXT wax then I may get a full year before reapplying.
I haven't tested longevity over a year yet as I wax monthly. But #21 keeps me happy. My other waxes and sealants that I have are NXT and P21s. I don't reach for the other 2 anymore. But P21s still looks good to me.