Maintenance Detail: 2007 Acura TL Type-S, KBP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Maintenance Detail: 2007 Acura TL Type-S, KBP

We are having nicer weather than normal for this time of the year and with the forecast calling for 4 more days of dry, sunny weather, I opted to clean the ride.

Process was a 2 bucket wash using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss. Meguiar's Super Degreaser 4:1 on the tires, wheels and exhaust tips. Dried with 2 Waffle Weave towels. Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer in the door and trunk jams. QID used under the hood on all of the plastics, too. Stoner's Invisible Glass (aerosol can) on all the glass. Duragloss Aquawax #952 for a little boost in protection to my base of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and layers of Collinite 476s. Optimum Opti-Bond 1:1 on the tires.

Pictures speak for themselves (before/after):

Some sun shots. Post would not be complete without a handful of glamour shots!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks great! Love KBP.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Car looks sharp. Love the before/after shots!

What microfiber brands do your recommend? Having a NBP TL-S it is hard to prevent scratches, swirls etc.

Also, how often do you polish your car and do you have any swirls/scratches from the two-bucket method?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by mynameisraj
Looks great! Love KBP.
Thanks, me too!

Originally Posted by vp55
Car looks sharp. Love the before/after shots!

What microfiber brands do your recommend? Having a NBP TL-S it is hard to prevent scratches, swirls etc.

Also, how often do you polish your car and do you have any swirls/scratches from the two-bucket method?
Thanks!

I recommend using either Autogeek's or Detailed Image's waffle weaves. I believe they are sourced from the same company. You can also try microfibertech.com if you want to save a few bucks. I use these: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/.

Always wash your drying towels separate from wax towels, window towels, etc.

I correct the car by machine 1 time per year. Typically, I do this around late May or early June when the weather becomes more reliable. You can catch my past correction in this thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/2007-acura-tl-type-s-kinetic-blue-pearl-correction-821322/

The 2 bucket method is a MUST when washing any car, no matter how dirty. If done properly, you will not induce scratches, swirls, marring, etc. into the clear coat. I even recommend using 3 buckets in the winter; 2, 5 gallon buckets with 3 gallons of water only and 1, 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of water and your shampoo. The rinse buckets are what makes this process and having more is better.

If you are really anal about the drying step, buy an electric leaf blower or Metro Vac. You can then blow the car mostly dry and blot the rest of the water off of the car. This is what I do for customer cars.
The following users liked this post:
vp55 (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
Thanks!

I recommend using either Autogeek's or Detailed Image's waffle weaves. I believe they are sourced from the same company. You can also try microfibertech.com if you want to save a few bucks. I use these: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/.

Always wash your drying towels separate from wax towels, window towels, etc.

I correct the car by machine 1 time per year. Typically, I do this around late May or early June when the weather becomes more reliable. You can catch my past correction in this thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821322

The 2 bucket method is a MUST when washing any car, no matter how dirty. If done properly, you will not induce scratches, swirls, marring, etc. into the clear coat. I even recommend using 3 buckets in the winter; 2, 5 gallon buckets with 3 gallons of water only and 1, 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of water and your shampoo. The rinse buckets are what makes this process and having more is better.

If you are really anal about the drying step, buy an electric leaf blower or Metro Vac. You can then blow the car mostly dry and blot the rest of the water off of the car. This is what I do for customer cars.
Thanks and I appreciate the feedback.

I was reading DI's articles and think I will try out the ONR wash since it is cold out now and try out the towels you recommended as well.

Also, isn't polishing every year removing some of the clear coat? Wouldn't that damage the paint eventually?

Sorry for the n00b questions, but your TL-S just looks so damn good.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
great work....but dont let the KBP get sooo dirty again LOL....

its actually my fav color
Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by vp55
Thanks and I appreciate the feedback.

I was reading DI's articles and think I will try out the ONR wash since it is cold out now and try out the towels you recommended as well.

Also, isn't polishing every year removing some of the clear coat? Wouldn't that damage the paint eventually?

Sorry for the n00b questions, but your TL-S just looks so damn good.
ONR is a staple product everyone should own. I have been using it for about 3 years now and it is great.

Polishing does remove clear coat, yes. However, there are several different types of machines, pads, compounds, polishes, etc. to take into consideration here. This year I will only need to use M205 on a white pad to achieve the correction I want. Once you properly compound and polish your paint, it's on you to wash it properly so you don't mar it back up. As long as that is done correctly, all that should be needed is a light polishing and you're good to move to LSP. Heavy compounding over and over and over again is where you get into trouble removing too much clear.
The following users liked this post:
vp55 (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by swoosh
great work....but dont let the KBP get sooo dirty again LOL....

its actually my fav color
Ha, its tough over here man. So much salt is put on the roads in the winter here. The worst is when the roads actually dry, the salt will turn into dust in the air. So even if you wash your car, just driving it on the dusty ass roads causes it to get a layer of salt dust.

I. Hate. It.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ ahaha i know what you mean bro....am in the midwest and the salt irritates the fawk outta me....

lucky this year it hasnt snowed a lot
Old 01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Great job and nice car. That is such a great color.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, what a revival!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Nothing like a fresh KBP
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow that color really comes through nicely.I can definitely appreciate a clean car especially in the northeast during the winter months
Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
KBPftmfw

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Great job and nice car. That is such a great color.
Thanks! I agree; KBP is awesome!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow, what a revival!
Thanks Steven!

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
Nothing like a fresh KBP
My fellow KBP brother from up North. I'm sure you can feel my winter pain, haha. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bRunCL
wow that color really comes through nicely.I can definitely appreciate a clean car especially in the northeast during the winter months
Thanks! It's definitely a bear to keep clean but when clean it really stands out against other colors.