Maintaining the "Slickness" after waxing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintaining the "Slickness" after waxing.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've noticed that after washing the car today with ONR, the slickness that was created by FS UPP and Dodo Purple Haze is pretty much GONE! Anyway, I was just wondering if this is normal? I just waxed the car with both of these about 2-3 weeks ago.

Lastly, if the waxes/sealants don't maintain their "slickness", then how do you really tell when the car needs to be re-waxed? Does this mean that the protection is gone? My car was hardcore beading when I pre-soaked it.

Also, is there any kind of a wax that will keep the "slickness" for a long time, even through multiple car washes?

Thanks,

Jeff

P.s. I will go add some Optimum Spray wax, which should pick up the slickness, but is this something I will have to do after every car wash now?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Racer

doing some sort of spray wax, or a product like Optimum Instant Detailer Gloss Enhancer will be beneficial after washing.

I cannot answer why you need to do this, but it helps with the slickness.

depending on your situation with your vehicle, you can expect a wax like purple haze to last about 2 months, if its a daily driver and sees alot of sun, and is not parked inside.

your protecting is close to being gone when you notice your beads of water going really flat, or non exsistant...it is my practice though to just wax every 6 weeks, but I like to wax, to others that may be overkill...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff, If I know you, im certain its still "slick", lol.
I fully endorse QD treatments during the week, and spray waxes once monthly. Two of my fav prod's to enhance and maintain UPP's slickness, is Optimum ID & GE, every few days and after washes, and OSW monthly.
Unfortunately, even the best of the best, dont last forever. Although i did OSW my ride two weeks ago, and its still super slick. But then again, i havent washed those initial slickness oils off yet either.
My regimine is:
Base coat of sealant, twice weekly ID & GE, followed by monthly app of OSW. I, my friend, am a happy camper with this routine.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Jeff, If I know you, im certain its still "slick", lol.
I fully endorse QD treatments during the week, and spray waxes once monthly. Two of my fav prod's to enhance and maintain UPP's slickness, is Optimum ID & GE, every few days and after washes, and OSW monthly.
Unfortunately, even the best of the best, dont last forever. Although i did OSW my ride two weeks ago, and its still super slick. But then again, i havent washed those initial slickness oils off yet either.
My regimine is:
Base coat of sealant, twice weekly ID & GE, followed by monthly app of OSW. I, my friend, am a happy camper with this routine.
Hey Pat,

What are ID & GE, and OSW? I'm assuming that "ID" is Instant Detailer. If so, which one do you use? Also, can this be used after the car has been driven lightly and has accumulated some dust?

Guess I'll be placing an order fairly soon, LOL!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Would not diluting ONR with enough water cause it to strip some of the wax/sealant off JLTSX07's car?

Also, and this may just be me, but I found that the one time I topped 4* UPP with a carnuba it took away a lot of the slickness. Maybe I did something wrong here?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=tacowall;10932073]Would not diluting ONR with enough water cause it to strip some of the wax/sealant off JLTSX07's car?

I don't think that's the issue since I add more than I need (added reassurance). So, I'm thinking that it's probably just the initial lubricating oils that are being washed off. The car is still beading like a MOFO though
Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hey Pat,

What are ID & GE, and OSW? I'm assuming that "ID" is Instant Detailer. If so, which one do you use? Also, can this be used after the car has been driven lightly and has accumulated some dust?

Guess I'll be placing an order fairly soon, LOL!
ID & GE is Optimums Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer/ OSW is Optimum Spray Wax. I use both. Use the detailer for that light dust, thats what its made for!

Would not diluting ONR with enough water cause it to strip some of the wax/sealant off JLTSX07's car?

Also, and this may just be me, but I found that the one time I topped 4* UPP with a carnuba it took away a lot of the slickness. Maybe I did something wrong here?
ONR will not strip sealants away. I think what Jeff might have seen is the initial oils ( which also attract dust, and are inherent with EVERY sealant or Nuba) washed away. Still plenty of protection left. Just not that initial slickness. And this is where the ID & GE, and OSW come into play. Either or, will restore that slickness.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
My UPP was still slick after a 1/2 doz. washes but I'm using conventional soap.

Slickness has nothing to do with protection.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Racer

I'm sure if you used a conventional soap like Jesstzn was saying, you would notice the slickness still there, I know both my cars are still super slick after a DG 901 wash.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Pro

Hey Pat, if someone wanted to, could they use Optimum Spray Wax instead of regular wax? By this I mean, could someone instead of hand waxing the car, just apply some OSW and achieve the same results as someone who apply's a wax/sealant first, and then tops their choice with OSW?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh heck yeah! OSW is a LSP.....
Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Optimum Car Wax FTW!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Pro

Oh wow, Pat. I think I will just start using OSW form now on. Maybe once in awhile I will use the FS UPP, but I can do the whole car with OSW in literally 5-10 minutes. I definitely think that's an easier route to go.

Ideally for a daily driven car, being washed with ONR, how long do you think an application of OSW will last?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ideally for a daily driven car, being washed with ONR, how long do you think an application of OSW will last?
I feel it lasts no longer than 2 weeks under those circumstances.

At least that is the case for me.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh wow, Pat. I think I will just start using OSW form now on. Maybe once in awhile I will use the FS UPP, but I can do the whole car with OSW in literally 5-10 minutes. I definitely think that's an easier route to go.

Jeff, include it in your wash ritual once monthly and your really covered/protected very well. Optimum claims 5 months protection. Im willing to go 2 months, but of course Im a little more judgmental then others. But, if its included as part of your exterior regimen, I see no reason why you couldnt get 6 months, until stripping everything off with a polish, and applying another layer of UPP. And as you stated, 5-10 minutes (a month) is not a lot to set aside for protection and superior slickness.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Doesn't the UPP provide enough protection, or do I really need to apply a spray wax as well? Also, what's the purpose of the ID / GE? - I've been using that monthly on top of the UPP (which I plan to do every 6 months or so)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 AM
B A N N E D

stick with a synthetic wax........

Last edited by jaysizzlecity; 05-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mklaudt
Doesn't the UPP provide enough protection, or do I really need to apply a spray wax as well? Also, what's the purpose of the ID / GE? - I've been using that monthly on top of the UPP (which I plan to do every 6 months or so)
More than enough protection... I don't use adders after my final layer of LSP. The only time I use a QD or anything is for claying and after I arrive at a show just to remove the bugs and the minor dusting aquired on the trip.

Sorry gang but I still don't really believe a spray wax is going to be of benifit. For the additional time it takes I'll add another layer of my LSP every couple weeks.

As far as slickness goes UPP so far is the best I have used and the slickness has lasted at least 8 washes. Could be more but then I added another layer.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mklaudt
This is my thought process. Nothing lasts forever, even UPP, lol. Protection doesnt "grow" or "enhance" after its been applied. It degrades, and this pretty much starts as soon as it gets to the sun.
If, after every wash (Or even, whenever you felt like it), you could simply spray on and wipe off, additional temporary slickness & protection that could last until its next wash, why not? Step in, Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer.
What if once a month, you could literally "add" a layer of protection, in the form of a spray. Sort of a sacrificial barrier. Enter Optimum Spray Wax, the best of Polymers and Nubas, in one (Hybrid).
I think we can all afford 5-10 minutes after a wash, cant we? So time is really not an issue is it? With each of the above steps, it revitalizes slickness and protection. We're all after the same goal here. Whats it look like, whats it feel like, and is it protected?
As Dale mentioned above, he doesnt necessarily buy into additional steps of using spray this or spray thats. He is happy with UPP, on its own (which has a lot to say for UPP, and I thank you for that Dale!) and thats fine. I am just trying to protect and extend that base protections durability.
Nothing is wrong with doing nothing, after applying UPP. Its a great product all on its own.
But on the other hand, I think Spray Waxes and QD's have a lot to offer the obsessed enthusiast. They are quick, easy. manageable and fairly affordable.
And as Dale said, if you have enough time on your hands to apply more sealant vs. a spray wax/sealant, its obviously your choice!

Last edited by exceldetail; 05-25-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
For the additional time it takes I'll add another layer of my LSP every couple weeks.
So you do a layer of UPP twice a month? I wasn't planning on doing it that frequently.

I get the sense that everyone has their own methods to their madness, and that most are probably fine - it's whatever makes you feel the best and your car look the best....

I am curious though as to signs that I need to reapply the UPP. In the past (pre-AZ-wash-wax forum / pre-UPP) I would always use the bubbling (or lack of bubbling) during a wash to let me know. Is it OK to still do that if I don't care too much about the "slickness" - I know, sacreligious. The only time my car is in the garage is at night when I'm home, o/w it's parked in the hot So Cal sun. So I just want to make sure that I'm not waiting too long b/t applications - I just don't have time to do a whole lot (I'm lucky to wash it every 1-2 weeks).
Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 PM
2016 E350 Sport

I would never wash my car and not follow up with a QD or Spray Wax. I will use a QD once or twice per week depending on weather and driving conditions. On NBP paint finger prints, smudges, bug poop, etc. are not tolerated for long on my cars. The Optimum Car Wax is the best spray wax I have used. It provides durable protection that will not simply wash off like most others. Also, it provides a very glossy and super slick finish. Just apply it like a QD.

I would still love to see someone properly QD or Spray Wax a car in 5 minutes. Please post on youtube. It takes me 30-60 minutes!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
I would never wash my car and not follow up with a QD or Spray Wax. I will use a QD once or twice per week depending on weather and driving conditions. On NBP paint finger prints, smudges, bug poop, etc. are not tolerated for long on my cars. The Optimum Car Wax is the best spray wax I have used. It provides durable protection that will not simply wash off like most others. Also, it provides a very glossy and super slick finish. Just apply it like a QD.

I would still love to see someone properly QD or Spray Wax a car in 5 minutes. Please post on youtube. It takes me 30-60 minutes!
How do you properly do it then? I just spray the panel, then buff it in with a microfiber towel - am I doing it wrong?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Instructor

me too ^^^
Old 05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Especially on a paint like NBP (as SweeJazz stated), you really need to use a QD or spray wax (optimum is my choice for both) after washing. I'll typically do it as a part of the drying process to kill two birds with one stone. If not, there's a tendency to get streaks or spots on the finish regardless of how well it has been previously polished or how recently it has been sealed. After every wash (which I try to do once per week), I always have a bottle of either in my hand. It takes me about 10 minutes FWIW...

When I'm done the surface is completely streak/spot free, it has a nice slick feel to it (although slickness is merely a personal preference IMO), and a deep gloss.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
2016 E350 Sport

How do you properly do it then? I just spray the panel, then buff it in with a microfiber towel - am I doing it wrong?

I dry as follows:
  1. Rinse as normal to remove all of the residual soap off of the car.
  2. Rinse using water sheeting method. Just let a steady stream of water run over the surface of the paint. Most of the water will sheet off and minimal drying is required.
  3. I grab the corners of a Waffleweave Microfiber and drag across the horizontal surfaces including the glass. I never wipe the paint at this stage.
  4. I use an electric leaf blower for remaining water on the paint and in between panels.
  5. I move the car into the garage and finish drying using the Waffleweave Microfiber by dabbing at any remaining water.
  6. I take my favorite QD, plush Eurow microfiber towel, and standard microfiber towel. I spray down the panel with the QD and wipe down the panel with the microfiber towel to ensure complete coverage. I use the plush Eurow microfiber towel to perform the final buff.
  7. I check for any streaking on the paint using a dual xenon flashlight.