M105-Review from a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
M105-Review from a rookie

I posted this on Autopia and Autogeek earlier this year, I was a total rookie then, and kinda still am .

My 2001 Acura TL has been a great car; I have had it for 12 years, and 172k miles. Until earlier this year I was taking care of my car all wrong, and with this car being white it’s hard to see all the mistakes. Then I bought a black car and wow all mistakes are visible no matter what. So today I did some correction with M105. It was my first time using M105 and didn’t know what to expect, I have read reviews about dusting and not letting it dry.

I was going to use M205 but was really happy with the results of the HT pads with M105.

Yes there is tons of dusting, and I did have some dry on the car I had to use blackfire waterless wash to remove it. As an amateur hobbyist I must say the results are great with m105, but please please take your time and work a small section at a time, and expect to dedicate 3 hours to polishing and clean up, before applying LSP.

Wells here’s some pics, first capturing imperfections in a white car was a challenge in its self. I think I spent close to 20 mins to get a good pic, and still ended up with some mediocre shots. The paint had swirls, rids, and waterspots.

After doing a rinseless wash with Megs D114 I primed the pad like Todd H said in his M105 video on Autopia. I worked the product into pad and let it sit for a couple of minutes. And at a speed of 6 on my Megs GV110 I went to work.

Heres some before shots, again it was really hard to capture RIDS, swirls and waterspots.

The Dusting

I used the purple cobras to clean up the m105, DO NOT LET IT DRY!!! You will spend equal amount of time cleaning it up as polishing.
Overall I was really happy with M105, the results are astonishing and with a Cyan LC Hydrotech pad the results were LSP ready.
Here is the finished product. No more waterspots and swirls!!

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions
-Dhaval
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You may want to "prime" your pad with a clay lube spray, which is what I do, quick frankly I have never experienced even the slightest dusting with 105 or 205, so I have to wonder why you are......

Try spraying the pad with one to two sprays of the lube spray and that should get rid of your dusting issue, remember if the polish is dusting that means its drying and being taken off by the pad before it even has the chance to "polish" the defects away.... food for thought.

The polish throughout the entire process, should never dust, it should stay moist and you are looking for it to "flash" on the paint (when it becomes translucent) which is your indicator that the polish has been broken down and its time to stop, inspect, and repeat if needed... you can try going on youtube and search "junkman" hes a very knowledgeable guy who has tons of videos with all the steps and info to go from a rookie to knowing what you are doing in a very short time.

Last edited by OntheJob; 12-04-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OntheJob
You may want to "prime" your pad with a clay lube spray, which is what I do, quick frankly I have never experienced even the slightest dusting with 105 or 205, so I have to wonder why you are......

Try spraying the pad with one to two sprays of the lube spray and that should get rid of your dusting issue, remember if the polish is dusting that means its drying and being taken off by the pad before it even has the chance to "polish" the defects away.... food for thought.

The polish throughout the entire process, should never dust, it should stay moist and you are looking for it to "flash" on the paint (when it becomes translucent) which is your indicator that the polish has been broken down and its time to stop, inspect, and repeat if needed... you can try going on youtube and search "junkman" hes a very knowledgeable guy who has tons of videos with all the steps and info to go from a rookie to knowing what you are doing in a very short time.
Well I first wrote this it was some time ago, did alot of learning since then

Well M105 is known for its 2 flaws of dusting and short working time,

Using a waterless wash or QD does help, but what helps the most is mineral oil. I was a bit skeptical when I heard this but it works.

Ill check out Junkmans videos
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dnd2984
Well I first wrote this it was some time ago, did alot of learning since then

Well M105 is known for its 2 flaws of dusting and short working time,

Using a waterless wash or QD does help, but what helps the most is mineral oil. I was a bit skeptical when I heard this but it works.

Ill check out Junkmans videos
mineral oil ???? what on the pad??? lol if so I would rather buy a different polish then put mineral oil on my paint.

I would be interested to hear about it though..
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
yea.. i would think thats taking away from the polishing.
making it slick n all.
i could be wrong though.

if anything, i use detail spray and alcohol solution at the end.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...g-s-105-a.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ng-issues.html

Give it a try next time on a small test spot.