looking for some info

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for some info

Hey guys, I have a 2008 PMM TL w/navi and i remember seeing a thread somewhere on what products people used to clean their car. I have searched and I can't seem to find it. If anybody could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am eager to do my car myself once it warms up some over here...Glouceter Va. Anyhow sorry for the long post, hope everyone has a good day.

Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Flip, how clean/detailed are we talking? (before i print the Bible here)
Are we just talking wash and dry, maybe a spritz of protectant?
or the above with an occasional polish or paint cleaning followed by a spray protectant?
or the above with a semi-comprehensive polish followed by a polymer sealant, or..........
Get my drift? Help us understand your needs so we may better direct you...........
Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Flip, how clean/detailed are we talking? (before i print the Bible here)
Are we just talking wash and dry, maybe a spritz of protectant?
or the above with an occasional polish or paint cleaning followed by a spray protectant?
or the above with a semi-comprehensive polish followed by a polymer sealant, or..........
Get my drift? Help us understand your needs so we may better direct you...........
Well, I would like to do the full works, although I don't really know how often and the best kinds to use. I really love this car and want to take really good care of it as I have been wanting a TL for a few years now. My car was Chevy SUV and now that my son is older he is not quite as messy as he used to be, even though they thougth of tapping his shoes together is still a foreign concept. For Christams I got the Meguirars ulitmate car care kit and havent used any of it yet. I have been reading all these posts and it gets very confusing for some newbie like myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is the thread you're referring to . . . What's In Your Arsenal?.

A schedule is shown at the bottom of this article and can be modified to meet your needs. The basic detailing process consists of the following . . .
  • Washing - removes road film, dirt, debris and contamination from the vehicle's surfaces. Refer to this thread .
  • Claying - removes bonded particulates (brake dust, rail dust, industrial fallout) from the painted surface. Highly recommended if not been done before. See this thread on claying .
  • Polishing - removes/corrects minor surface defects such as swirls, scratches and oxidation while providing reflectivity and gloss to the painted surface. Refer to this article "What is Polishing?".
  • Sealing - protects what you just previously accomplished namely the painted surface of your vehicle. You can use a natural (Carnuba) or synthetic wax (most polymers provide durability and longevity). "How To Wax Your Car" .....
There are a number of online sites that provide superb info regarding detailing like Autopia, Autogeek and Paint Care-n-Detailing. The forum also has several individuals who are very knowledgeable and have a great deal of experience on the art of detailing. They are more than happy to render assistance. Hopefully this will give you a start....
Old 01-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

yep that was the one...i kept searching and couldn't find it. Thanks for finding and posting. I am sure i will have questions as i progress onward.

thanks

Steve