Long day after detailing - no 56ker

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long day after detailing - no 56ker

This is the first time I use the UDM. Patrick, thanks for overnight pads. I'll get this out of the way first. I am somewhat satisfied, but not overly excited. I guess I didnt use the right combination of pads/polish. I can still see swirls directly under the sun. The car is so bright that I cant look at it too long. Here's the product I use:

Meguiar Gold Wash
Duragloss Aquawax on wheels
3M painter tape on certain area
Optimum Compound/Orange Pad (speed 3, then 5)
Optimum Polish/White Pad (speed 3, then 5)
Danase Wet Glaze/White Pad (speed 1)
Four Star UPP by hand w/ microfiber
Black Wow (question on this later)
Stoner Invisible Glass

Total time: 8 hrs

I dont know how to use Black Wow. After applying it, I thought it was suppose to dry? When I put my finger on it, it feel greasy. I didnt wait for the DWG to cure, I just apply UPP right after that. I will apply another layer of UPP tomorrow and then 2 more layers of Meguiar NXT 2.0. I figure NXT 2.0 is less expensive and I want to see how it will turn out. Good idea or bad? I need some feedback on the polishing product/pads. I want to get rid of these swirls. Here are the pictures:

Before

Before polishing:

After:

Here's a picture out in the sun today:
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow!! Really nice.......... you sure let you car go a bit before this detail. Great job though. I'll let the experts comment on the pads/products and what you need to do get rid of the swirls. You car looks great
Old 07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Wow!! Really nice.......... you sure let you car go a bit before this detail. Great job though. I'll let the experts comment on the pads/products and what you need to do get rid of the swirls. You car looks great
It's only been a month since my last car wash. I can only wash my car about every 4-6 weeks. The next time I'm spending this much time detailing it is 6 months later. I had to spend extra time because I got a close friend wedding coming up this Saturday and the All-Cali Meet next Saturday. I park under this tree that keep falling these yellow thing on my car, so I park to the left. I been to a few construction zone, so there's dust all over my car.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
dont waist your time putting two more coats of nxt on top of the upp...you have upp and dwg, i would put another coat of one or both of thoes, but you can now ditch the nxt since you have thoes two products...

speed 3 with your udm and your orange pad and compound isnt very effective....you need speed, and you probably could have used a yellow pad on that paint or atleast another full pass with the orange/compound....

still, i bet your results were pretty good....
Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnier6
dont waist your time putting two more coats of nxt on top of the upp...you have upp and dwg, i would put another coat of one or both of thoes, but you can now ditch the nxt since you have thoes two products...

speed 3 with your udm and your orange pad and compound isnt very effective....you need speed, and you probably could have used a yellow pad on that paint or atleast another full pass with the orange/compound....

I think he meant that he spreads his polish on speed 3 and then polishes on 5. I would recommend that you polish on speed 6 and if you are still seeing scratches then you prob just want to add a couple more drops of compound and hit the area again and repeat until the scratches are gone. Note I said "Scratches" not marring. The compound will usually leave marring on the paint and you can tell because they go in a circular pattern obviously caused by the buffers circular/orbital motion. these should be taken care of with the Optimum polish although I'm not a huge fan of OP. You may have been good simply by doing another pass or two of the OP on the white pad. Most of the mistakes people make is using way too much polish and not working the polish long enough to break it down. A good rule of thumb is you can't really work OP too long. Better too long than not long enough. When its pretty easy to wipe off the residue then you know you worked your polish long enough and it has broken down.

Over all looks like your car turned out very nicely. The white pearl is a beautiful color and very reflective so you should be hard pressed to see any of the remaining swirls. Nice job.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by vinnier6

I cant put anymore DWG, it's only the 2oz sample. I think I use more than half, but I cant tell because it's all purple in there...Thanks! 85% is pretty good I guess
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by conan777
I think he meant that he spreads his polish on speed 3 and then polishes on 5. I would recommend that you polish on speed 6 and if you are still seeing scratches then you prob just want to add a couple more drops of compound and hit the area again and repeat until the scratches are gone. Note I said "Scratches" not marring. The compound will usually leave marring on the paint and you can tell because they go in a circular pattern obviously caused by the buffers circular/orbital motion. these should be taken care of with the Optimum polish although I'm not a huge fan of OP. You may have been good simply by doing another pass or two of the OP on the white pad. Most of the mistakes people make is using way too much polish and not working the polish long enough to break it down. A good rule of thumb is you can't really work OP too long. Better too long than not long enough. When its pretty easy to wipe off the residue then you know you worked your polish long enough and it has broken down.

Over all looks like your car turned out very nicely. The white pearl is a beautiful color and very reflective so you should be hard pressed to see any of the remaining swirls. Nice job.
What I did is apply the OP Compound on the UDM and then dab it here and there so the product is somewhat all over the working area. Then I use speed 3 to work it in slowly. Afterward, I use speed 5 to finish the compound. I copy what the youtube video guy did with the PC and Pinnacle product.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
getting ready for all-cali i see....

nice work tho~!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Kang Ho

phee, I see you. How do you use the Black WOW?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
forget youtube videos

go to UDMs homepage and they have their Pro using the UDM in a couple of scenarios- shows how much product, how to apply products to the pads, and the best patterns to use for polishing.
Getting the feel of of the motion and letting the tool do the work -- it takes a few times doing the car- you get more aggressive as you get skills, and scratches go away faster.

I used the Hyper compound on low speed and was impressed- did the whole car with 3 levels of products on 1-2 speed, thinking- better safe than sorry
Car looked awesome- or so I thought
A month later decided to try some other products to work on the micro stuff and made huge differance in the results. Like a different color car with all the contaminents removed
Now to do the final super micro scratch stuff and then seal it up good.
Ready to face another 3-6 months of torture in the outside world
Old 07-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
forget youtube videos

go to UDMs homepage and they have their Pro using the UDM in a couple of scenarios- shows how much product, how to apply products to the pads, and the best patterns to use for polishing.
Getting the feel of of the motion and letting the tool do the work -- it takes a few times doing the car- you get more aggressive as you get skills, and scratches go away faster.

I used the Hyper compound on low speed and was impressed- did the whole car with 3 levels of products on 1-2 speed, thinking- better safe than sorry
Car looked awesome- or so I thought
A month later decided to try some other products to work on the micro stuff and made huge differance in the results. Like a different color car with all the contaminents removed
Now to do the final super micro scratch stuff and then seal it up good.
Ready to face another 3-6 months of torture in the outside world
What products did you use?