Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner: a brief review

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner: a brief review

I've read on a couple of threads here at Lexol is sometimes disfavored as a leather cleaner and conditioner because of various problems, one of them being that it's too sticky. Well, I recently bought and applied some Lexol, and here are my thoughts.

I bought my TL in July of '06 and havn't cleaned or conditioned the leather since then. I've got the tan interior, so the seats looked really filthy, especially the driver's seat. I decided to try the Lexol cleaner and conditioner, which is readily available at the Pep Boys a few blocks from my apartment.

The first thing I noticed is that the cleaner works REALLY well. I started out with a bright green, clean microfiber cloth and by the end, it was literally brown and black all over. The only thing I struggled with a little is that the instructions said to work the cleaner into the leather until it was "foamy"... I couldn't get it to foam up, but it was clearly removing dirt and grime nonetheless. It smelled fine. Not great, but not bad either.

The conditioner was easy to apply. After applying the conditioner, letting it soak into the leather, and wiping the surfaces with a very slightly dampened clean microfiber cloth, the results were AMAZING. The seats now look and feel BRAND NEW - they seem the same as the day I bought the car. There is NO STICKINESS WHATSOEVER. The final smell is nearly imperceivable and the seats look and feel brand new.

Perhaps if people are struggling with stickiness with the Lexol product, it's because they either didn't fully remove the cleaner with a clean damp cloth, as instructed), or they applied WAY too much conditioner. A little conditioner goes a long way - just spray a small amount on a clean, slightly dampened cloth and lightly apply it so that it forms a very light coat. It will soak into the leather and be dry to the touch within 10 or 15 seconds. That's all that's needed to restore the seats to brand-new.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the Lexol leather products and would highly recommend them to anyone. If you follow the instructions and apply only a very light coat of conditioner (you don't need to pour gallons of it on the seats), you should get no stickiness and will be left with perfect seats.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
2002 TL-S NGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and review. I, too have been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my tan interior with the same results. I am impressed with the cleaner as it really does clean. Actually, I prefer the Lexol conditioner to Griot's Garage Leather Conditioner. The GG-brand conditoner left the leather way too "oily" and took excessively long to dry. For both products you are correct that "a little goes a long way."
Old 04-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Advanced

Nice review. I agree that Lexol cleaner and conditioner are great products. I have been using these products for 3 years now on my TSX and it has kept the leather in very good condition. I just got tired of using the same product so when I ran out of the Lexol conditioner I bought the Four Star Ultimate leather conditioner. I think four star is a step up to Lexol in terms of keeping the leather soft and supple.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:14 AM
Burning Brakes

ITs good that you found lexol products useful.. I on the other hand did not seem to find the type of results that you have, and now that you mentioned you had a tan interior that may be why. I have black leather on my 03 CL which is probably why I don't see a whole lot of difference afterwards. I just used it anyway to maintain the leather.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

There are a number of members who prefer Lexol as their product of choice. Likewise, there are those who prefer other products. With so many different products available, if you find one you like and the results are to your liking, continue to use 'em.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 AM
2002 TL-S NGP

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
There are a number of members who prefer Lexol as their product of choice. Likewise, there are those who prefer other products. With so many different products available, if you find one you like and the results are to your liking, continue to use 'em.
Agree. I'm guessing that many of us, myself included, like to try different products out. Right now, I like the results of Lexol, but am open to trying others - especially those that other members have had good results. I like the other Four Star products, so I may have to try their leather conditioner.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JB_TSX
I think four star is a step up to Lexol in terms of keeping the leather soft and supple.
Although I have not used Lexol, I have become extremely satisfied with the Four Star Leather care twins. The Duragloss twins are a cloese second, but for value, its hard to be the FS line of leather care products......
Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
what do you use? I have lexol too but result is just whatever.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Safety Car

Currently using a solution of woolite & water (about a 1:15 ratio) and PB Leather Stuff (got a 8 oz sample from a from a buddy). It's okay - leaves a pleasant new car leather smell and a very light sheen. I'll probably try something else this summer . . . oops, forgot to mention it's a one step cleaner/conditioner.