Leather and Vinyl Surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003 | 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Leather and Vinyl Surfaces

Can anyone list what are the true leather surfaces and which are vinyl surfaces on our car? I think it's been said many times that only the perforated surfaces are leather and the rest are vinyl. Does that mean that the door panel perforations are also leather surfaces and that the seat bolsters on the bottom and backs along with the headrests and the center armrest are all vinyl?

Just trying to figure out what cleaning products to use on the appropriate surfaces.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2003 | 11:06 AM
aqj
Who ya gonna call?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing, but haven't received any responses.
I think it is safe to assume that perforated pieces are leather. But the door panels shouldn't be perforated, im pretty sure they are vinyl made to look like leather. Headrests, seat backs and side bolsters are also vinyl. I used vinyl cleaner on those parts and everything seems to be just fine
Old 07-30-2003 | 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Good question. I've got some lexol leather cleaner and conditioner that I was going to use on the seats and door panels (and other leather looking surfaces), but now I'm not sure
Old 08-04-2003 | 07:25 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

I think the front seat backs and rear seat headrests are vinyl. But I believe all of the leather is clearcoated anyway. So I use products designed for both leather and vinyl.

I use 303 most of the time, and Lexol cleaner/conditioner sometimes. If I use Lexol more often, the leather becomes too soft and stretch too much. Microfiber towels for cleaning and applying.

I use only 303 on the front seat backs and rear seat headrests.

Something from another forum:

"2. Since the leather is coated more cleaning is required than conditioning. To help prevent UV damage to the protective coating dress with a PDMS dressing like 303.

3. The coating was designed to keep stains and things off the leather, too keep unwanted moisture off the leather and to help "lock in" oils to prevent the leather from becoming dried out. The coating has small holes that allow the leather to "vent". These holes will also allow conditioner to reach the actual hide, but once conditioned the coating will hold in the oils of the conditioner much more than a non-coated seat would, it locks the oils in. Thus, you don't need to condition them nearly as often as a non coated seat. Uncoated leather tends to abrade very easily, the coating will keep the seat looking good for a very long time.
"

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...coated+leather

Have to register to view, so I cut and pasted.