leather conditioners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Amateur CL Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather conditioners?

I recently purchased my '97 3.0 CL, probably about two months ago. This is the first car I have ever had with leather seats. Since some of you guys are real professionals, maybe you could reccomend a good leather conditioner that actually leaves the leather feeling conditioned. I have tried Meguiar's Gold Class and one other brand but both have same results, leather still feels dry. Any help
Old 07-11-2002, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
303, Vickers, and/or a product designed for coated-leather!

IMO, the 303 Protectant is fine...

http://www.303products.com/protectant.htm

The World's Most Manufacturer-Recommended product: Because of its enduring cosmetic properties, resistance to dust, soiling, and staining, water repellency and unparalleled protective abilities, manufacturers worldwide recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant for countless uses:
  • Satellite Dishes
  • Rubber
  • Vinyl
  • Clear Vinyl
  • Fiberglass
  • Plastics
  • Dacron and Monofilm Sails
  • Inflatable Boats
  • Finished Leathers (AS USED IN THE ACURA CLS)
    Lexan® and Acrylics

Fiber-Shield Industries Leather Cleaner and Protector

"The Vickers Leathercryl System® is the industry leader in the protection and stain removal of fine leather products. Leathercryl™ is a water-based polymer solution that imparts excellent oil and water repellency, stain resistance and exceptional resiliency to all top coated leather and smooth vinyl surfaces"

It's made for top-coated leather -- the seats we have are COATED and the leather is underneath the coating.

Analogy: you have paint on the metal of your car. Do you buy metal polish or paint "protectants"?????
Old 07-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Lexol!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 01:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nicky Pass
I use Lexol!!!!!!
From some Lexol people who like the stuff... (Hmmm... the wording makes me wonder). (I have no stock or interest in 303 or Vickers products and enjoy and use the whole spectrum of Lexol products for other leathers... just not the CL's)

The goggle cache still has this data, but the main link is dead...

"...There is more than one type of leather. Most American cars have a leather surface that is applied like a paint rather than soaked into the leather. This process closes off most of the pores and makes this type of leather less susceptible to spills and stains. Most European cars have a leather that has been dyed rather than coated. It is softer, but may stain more easily. Lexol will not soak into American type leather as easily, but it will still do it's job. Lexol will soak right into dyed leather much easier. It's great for either type, it will just feel different when applying it...."

And, here is the Classic Motoring link and you can see they sell Lexol, but don't sell the Vicker's product:

http://www.properautocare.com/propleatcar.html

"...Coated or "Corinthian" leather.

Some leather being used in domestic automobiles has a top veneer of vinyl. This should be considered a vinyl interior and treated with a vinyl dressing. Do not use a leather conditioner on vinyl-topped leather. The conditioning oils can not penetrate the vinyl coating to reach the leather. If you're not sure if your car's leather is vinyl coated, check with your car dealer or the manufacturer...."

(When I hear 'Corinthian' Leather, I'm waiting to hear a recording or "That Rich Corinthian leather..." from Ricardo Montalban )
Old 07-12-2002, 07:33 AM
'Cooter

i still think Zaino Leather in a Bottle works fine...does wonders for the dash too!!
Old 07-13-2002, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

Simoniz Leather Cleaner & Protector

mmmm so fresh and so clean.. cleans & protects
Old 07-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I like Pinnacle Cleaner & Conditioner the best.

I've tried Lexol, Zaino, and Pinnacle so far. I hear that 303 stuff is pretty good too, but I haven't used any yet.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:05 PM