Leather Cleaning / Conditioning Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:41 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Leather Cleaning / Conditioning Question.

I've read almost every leather cleaning / conditioning thread on the site, and my question would be.

Do I need to clean the leather? Or can I just skip the step and condition it. The leather looks clean, but i've been starting to notice the wrinkles from just everyday exiting and entering the car.

The car was purchased new 11/06, and I'm from MN, harsh harsh winters temps.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its always best to clean leather before conditioning to remove dirt and sweat from your seats.I like using the Lexol products for my leather.

Here is a link for more info: http://www.autogeek.net/lexol.html

Last edited by triggerman; 03-24-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:45 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I just picked up some zymol from target. Which i'll try out tommorow, if i get this question figured out.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Some things that people over-look when conditioning leather. Ideally, what your trying to find/look for, is a product that wont leave the seat with any obvious product remnants. You ABSOLUTELY want the seat to have some slickness. This lessens the attrition of daily get in, and get outs. You want your pants to slide along, not grip the leather. So just because it smells good, and costs a lot, and has a fancy name, doesnt mean anything. Use gentle cleaners and conditioners. If its obvious you have treated it with something, it actually may be too much.......The stickier it is, the more dust/dirt accumulation. (not good)
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I LOVE MY TL

i wear dark blue/sand blast blue denim pants alot and there was a bluish looking on my seat..just my seat..Lmao..soo i order leather cleaners from Patrick a few months ago...i clean my leather seats with Four Star Ultimate Leather Cleaner Gel & Four Star Ultimate Leather Conditioner...took it right off..i was shock that it took off the bluish off the seat..anyways after i was done with cleaning it. i used the conditioner and it feel smooth like a baby butt and smell good too after i apply it...no sticky..just smooooth and look like it should be.a new healthy leather that was clean right...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Initial conditioning - for the initial conditioning of uncoated leather, and/or if you are cleaning for the first time use a Leather Rejuvenator. (http://www.Leatherique.com) [Use Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle on coated leather] paying particular attention to area that are exposed to the most UV radiation, i.e. backs of headrests, seat shoulders, and then apply to the rest of the seating surfaces starting at he top and working your way down.

Allow the product to be absorbed into the hides for several hours on a sunny day, or overnight. Warmth makes the leather fibres pores open allowing the proteins and collagens to be absorbed readily. Park the car in direct sunlight, cover seats with black plastic trash bags, and roll up the windows to create a steam room to allow the Rejuvenator to fully penetrate into the hides.

Scheduled Maintenance: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Some things that people over-look when conditioning leather. Ideally, what your trying to find/look for, is a product that wont leave the seat with any obvious product remnants. You ABSOLUTELY want the seat to have some slickness. This lessens the attrition of daily get in, and get outs. You want your pants to slide along, not grip the leather. So just because it smells good, and costs a lot, and has a fancy name, doesnt mean anything. Use gentle cleaners and conditioners. If its obvious you have treated it with something, it actually may be too much.......The stickier it is, the more dust/dirt accumulation. (not good)

so what do you recommend for a cleaner /conditioner excel?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 AM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for what it worth, if you keep your leather properly conditioned, you should rarely ever have to "clean" with a leather cleaner. the oils the leather should be penetrated with will resist much of the dirt from daily wear/tear.

i personally love products (Armor all, megs tech protectant) that don't put a ton of silicone on the seat, but rather absorb lanolin into the seat, to clean from inside out. i feel that pinnacle's leather cleaner and the separate leather conditioner do this with great success. pinnacle also has an AIO leather cleaner and conditioner, but i dont see how you can clean and condition in one product...

oh well, good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TOUCHOFDETAIL
so what do you recommend for a cleaner /conditioner excel?
I used Duragloss 221 Leather Conditioner on this one over the weekend. The leather was extremely dry for a new car. The product absorbed wonderfully, and left a very light sheen. I buffed any residual that remained which wasnt even really noticeable, but felt compelled to ensure total elimination of residue. Seats came out beautiful! Nice light "leather" man made smell also!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bambo2888
for what it worth, if you keep your leather properly conditioned, you should rarely ever have to "clean" with a leather cleaner. the oils the leather should be penetrated with will resist much of the dirt from daily wear/tear.

i personally love products (Armor all, megs tech protectant) that don't put a ton of silicone on the seat, but rather absorb lanolin into the seat, to clean from inside out. i feel that pinnacle's leather cleaner and the separate leather conditioner do this with great success. pinnacle also has an AIO leather cleaner and conditioner, but i dont see how you can clean and condition in one product...

oh well, good luck!

let me correct that, I hate armor all and meg. tech protect., i just somehow typed that wrong.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Phew!

Glad you corrected that Armor All thing. I would never use it on good leather.

I found my factory leather to be dry on delivery of the new car. It soaked up Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle", which restored the dry leather to a soft, pliable condition and it smells great! Like being in a leather shop.

My experience over 3 years with this car in Florida is that it needs conditioning in this weather about once every month or two. If I start to see the beginings of a wrinkle, I break out the Zaino and they go away.

I wipe down the leater with a damp microfiber cloth to clean the surface dust and debris before condtioning. If I have picked up any stains, I spot clean them.

I let the leather dry a bit after the damp cloth, then rub in the Zaino with another microfiber cloth. I then let it set for a half hour or so before a final pass with microfiber to take off any excess product.

I agree with Excel: Properly conditioned leather lets you glide across it and resists wrinkling and staining much better. After all, it IS skin, you know, and need moisturizing once in a while to avoid aging wrinkles. :wink:

PS: I would not use any silicone product on my leather.