leather care and colorfastness test

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather care and colorfastness test

finally got around to wiping down the leather seats.

using meguiars leather conditioner/cleaner with a microfiber cloth i noticed some
color--greyish blue/black rubbing off onto the cloth.

doesn't really look like dirt. is this evidence of improper match for my leather seats?

if so can someone recommend another brand?

acura tsx 07 black leather/vinyl seats

thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
What you are probably seeing on the cloth is ‘dirt’ nothing to do with incompatibility of the product.

This is a lot of reading / information but should give you some ideas on leather care / maintenance

1. Cleaning 2. Conditioning 3. Ultra Violet Radiation protection

1.Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) to remove any dust or grit from the seams and vacuum the seating areas dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.
2.To bring back a matte finish and safely remove prior use products, Autoglym - Interior Cleaner, allow approx 24 hours for the panels to dry. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process to get it back to a matte finish. Then apply a leather conditioner (Zymol Treat) use sparingly, do not over-condition.

Note: most leather cleaner also contain oils (for lubrication) over use will make the leather surface 'shine'

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique's Prestine Clean, Zaino Leather in a bottle, Groit's Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)

Alternative product- (use with caution by trying it on an inconspicuous area first)
a) Mr Clean Magic Eraser Cleaning Pads
b) Steam cleaning- Cleaning interior doors, leather and vinyl upholstery clean exceptionally well with steam
http://www.vaporcleanproducts.com/st..._detailing.htm

All Purpose Cleaner (APC) - Leather should be cleaned with a product in the pH 5 to 5.5 range. That's actually a mildly acidic solution. Most multi-purpose cleaners and spot removers have a pH of 12 to 13. If you spray a multi-purpose, high pH cleaner on leather and buff with a dry cloth, the cloth will often turn brown. Most people will believe its dirt coming out of the hide; it's not dirt, its tanning agents. You’re actually de-tanning the hide

Notes:
a) With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
b) The harsh use of chemicals actually keeps dirt trapped in the fibres of the leather. If you abuse or neglect your leather, it won't survive. Keeping leather clean is important, but conditioning is the key to preserving its useful life, flexibility, appearance and longevity.
c) Do not use- Saddle soap (it's made to clean an entirely different type of leather), abrasive cleaners, furniture leather polish (they contain a wax), products that contain harsh solvent s or alcohol, as they will cause the stitching to fray and eventually break, petroleum distillate, bleach or ammonia based products, you should not use vinyl products on leather (nor vice versa as the emulsion will not penetrate).
d) Silicone or Lanolin-based conditioning products as they have trouble reaching the leathers deep fibres, also avoid using leather-conditioning creams on covered leathers as they cannot penetrate the surface finish and the residue will remain leaving a greasy surface on the leather. The silicone oil will dissolve out the leather's natural oils and tend to make the leather sticky. Use a product that contains natural penetrating oils that will nourish the fibres and restore the leather to its natural suppleness.
e) Alcohol- Alcohol can severely damage the finish of the leather; even a drop like you have will leave a permanent mark. Most finishes are water based and so any alcohol can begin to cut through them, even if you go over it and you see no colour come off, you probably just stripped off the clear protective top coat and are now sitting on the colour coat, which can get tacky very quickly and will eventually wear through as it does not have the durability found in the topcoat.
f) Vinyl dressing on leather as it will clog the pores of the leather and not allow any essential oils to permeate to the fibre, which will cause the leather to dry out and crack. The difference between leather and vinyl; leather will have an uneven or imperfect pattern to it while vinyl will have a much more even, almost repeating pattern. The depth of the lines within the grain on vinyl is also consistent, while the same lines on leather will vary; it is also usually smooth and soft to the touch.
g) Rule of Thumb - you can use leather products on vinyl, you can not use vinyl products on leather.

2. Initial conditioning - for the initial conditioning of uncoated leather, and/or if you are cleaning for the first time use a Leather Rejuvenator. (http://www.Leatherique.com) [Use Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle on coated leather] paying particular attention to area that are exposed to the most UV radiation, i.e. backs of headrests, seat shoulders, and then apply to the rest of the seating surfaces starting at he top and working your way down.

Allow the product to be absorbed into the hides for several hours on a sunny day, or overnight. Warmth makes the leather fibres pores open allowing the proteins and collagens to be absorbed readily. Park the car in direct sunlight, cover seats with black plastic trash bags, and roll up the windows to create a steam room to allow the Rejuvenator to fully penetrate into the hides.

2a. Conditioning- The leather tanning process is followed by a dressing or “fat-liquoring,” which essentially is conditioning performed in the factory. It introduces fatty substances that help the leather remain flexible and resistant to water and wear. But, leather is hygroscopic (it naturally absorbs and retains water), meaning it’s also susceptible to losing moisture necessary to keep it pliant and soft. A good conditioner will provide your leather upholstery with all the nutrients, UVR protection and moisture it needs to stay beautiful.

Recommend preventative maintenance routine- three to four times a year; once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products like Leatherique restore the lost moisture and maintain its natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide.

Conditioners are for leather which is porous, whereas vinyl is not, so do not use a vinyl product as a conditioner on leather as vinyl requires much stronger cleaning agents than leather and above all try to avoid raw silicone oil based products, as the silicone oil will dissolve the leather's natural oils and tend to make the leather sticky, silicone oils also have a very high electrostatic (static) attraction to dust and dirt particle.

1.Conditioning products should be applied to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate the coating (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer) allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the coating and reach the leather underneath.
2.It is possible to over-condition leather once the hide has absorbed the product it will saturate the foam and the hides stitching and may cause it to fray /disintegrate. I find that some leathers start to stretch when they are softened (conditioned) too much.
3.Over cleaning leather may lead to premature cracking and discoloration. Most leathers are treated at the tannery with a protective coating to help protect against staining. Excessive cleaning and conditioning can remove some of the protective properties.
4.Carry a small spray bottle of water and a clean micro fibre cloth so if you ever spill something onto your leather, spray the affected area and wipe it as soon as possible, you should then treat the affected area with leather conditioner.
5.Conditioning oils will penetrate the fibres more efficiently if they are warmed first; place the plastic container in a microwave before using. For best results warm the leather also before application (vehicle heating system, hairdryer, or the suns heat Allow sufficient permeation time (4-6 hours) or overnight if possible, especially with coated or spray-on dye leathers.)

Scheduled Maintenance: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

TOGWT ™ Copyright © 2002-2007. Jon Miller, all rights reserved

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-25-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bosmet
finally got around to wiping down the leather seats.

using meguiars leather conditioner/cleaner with a microfiber cloth i noticed some
color--greyish blue/black rubbing off onto the cloth.

doesn't really look like dirt. is this evidence of improper match for my leather seats?

if so can someone recommend another brand?

acura tsx 07 black leather/vinyl seats

thanks
I got the same thing on my microfiber when I detailed mine with the meguiars conditioner/cleaner. I have the quartz interior. Like TOGWT said, I wouldn't worry about it. Although once I'm done with the meguiars, I'm definelty going to upgrade to separate cleaner and conditioner products.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just did my leather yesterday. i used a 1:16 ratio of woolite/water to clean. I wanted to be on the safe side with the woolite. wiped on with a damp cloth and had all 4 doors open. once i got back to the other side it was dry, and applied Lexol conditioner with a MF. let it sit for a few min and wiped down with another MF.

seems to be ok.. my steering wheel is nice and soft now.