I just tried out Mother's clay bar..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 05:43 PM
It's Go-Time.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tried out Mother's clay bar..

This afternoon, I useda clay bar for the first time. The cost was $20.23cdn for the Mother's clay bar and well worth it! I was somewhat skeptical about using the clay for the first time and the cost vs. reward.

Once I got the hang of it, I was totally amazed how much crap it removed from the paint. I used a TON of lube, as specified and the whole process was a breeze, but you must take your time.

When I bought my car, the trunk lid had lots of tiny specks that I could not get off. I tried Meguiar's Fine Cut #7, Bug & Tar, a hi speed buffer and to no avail. But with the clay bar, it removed most of the crap and the lid now feels really smooth.

I would highly recommend this process, you'll won't be disappointed.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:48 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I almost shit when I saw how much crap came off when I clayed in the spring!!!!!
Old 06-23-2002, 01:09 AM
A-CL & LS1.COM Member

Yeah - claying is a must! Glad to hear your great results.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:15 PM
It's Go-Time.

Originally posted by nd9ta
Yeah - claying is a must! Glad to hear your great results.
Do you have any pics of your ride?
Old 06-23-2002, 10:43 PM
A-CL & LS1.COM Member

Pics

Ya sure do...follow the url... http://216.181.42.214/2003cls/
Mine's the Black TA and the CLS is my brothers
My TransAm is almost 3 years old. We took these pics on
Saturday. They will load slowly..please be patient.

Enjoy
Old 06-23-2002, 10:50 PM
It's Go-Time.

Re: Pics

Thanks for the pix, nice rides!
Old 06-23-2002, 11:01 PM
A-CL & LS1.COM Member

Re: Re: Pics

Originally posted by GOT PSI?
Thanks for the pix, nice rides!
No problem and thanks!
Old 07-06-2002, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear

What do you guys use to lube the clay bar? I wasn't aware that you had to lube it up...
Old 07-06-2002, 07:53 PM
It's Go-Time.

Originally posted by Skarface32
What do you guys use to lube the clay bar? I wasn't aware that you had to lube it up...
The clay bar I used from Mother's was a "kit" which included the lube or spritzer. The lube from Mother's is a detailing spray. I have read other threads that you can also use a combination of water and car soap.

Lubing is the most important step of the claying process, hopefully you didn't try to clay without it!
Old 07-06-2002, 08:45 PM
Advanced

If you don't use a lot of lubrication, i.e., car-wash soap or the detailing spray that came with the bar, and just use water, you probably will mark up your finish. And those marks can be hard to get off sometimes.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Where's your 6th gear?

I picked up the Meguiar's variant to test clay since it's about half the price. It also comes with a bar and their 'Quick Detail' spray. I am impressed with how much junk it pulled off the paint; made it soooo smooth. I followed it up with some polish and P21S wax and oh! the shine.

Using lots of lubricant is a must. I put just a little at first and left a clay mark on the paint. After that I used generous amounts of lube and it was a cinch. Polish took the clay mark off easily.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Cruisin'

You remove what dealers call raildust or overspray

Clay bar removes specks of raildust which is the hot embers that come from trains wheels moving across tracks and throwing them up in the air. The best way to remove raildust is too go to napa and get you some aerosol gas cleaner and spray it and then move the claybar in a circular motion. Then wash and wax to restore the wax since the clay bar removed all of the wax.

I am a professional acura detailer contact for future questions,
bryant
Old 07-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: You remove what dealers call raildust or overspray

Originally posted by bdheilig
Clay bar removes specks of raildust which is the hot embers that come from trains wheels moving across tracks and throwing them up in the air. The best way to remove raildust is too go to napa and get you some aerosol gas cleaner and spray it and then move the claybar in a circular motion. Then wash and wax to restore the wax since the clay bar removed all of the wax.

I am a professional acura detailer contact for future questions,
bryant
Oh so now you are in favor of using the clay bar? Dude, get your facts straight. Aerosol gas cleaner? WTF is that?

Best bet for clay bar is either a quick detailing spray, Meguiars is excellent, very slippery, or a mixture of car wash soap and water.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Rickrack79@hotmail.com

NSXNEXT, you should really listen to this guy since he's a Professional Acura Detailer !!!!! Boy, they must have alot of trains where he lives!
Old 07-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Cruisin'

Re: You remove what dealers call raildust or overspray

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bdheilig
[B]Clay bar removes specks of raildust which is the hot embers that come from trains wheels moving across tracks and throwing them up in the air. The best way to remove raildust is too go to napa and get you some aerosol gas cleaner and spray it and then move the claybar in a circular motion. Then wash and wax to restore the wax since the clay bar removed all of the wax.

Look clay bar for the outside of the car if you need to get off raildust or overspray. For any other reason like to remove swirls and other stuff a clay bar does nothing. And use an aerosol glass cleaner to do windows and headlamps that are covered in bugs.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Re: You remove what dealers call raildust or overspray

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bdheilig
[B]
Originally posted by bdheilig

Look clay bar for the outside of the car if you need to get off raildust or overspray. For any other reason like to remove swirls and other stuff a clay bar does nothing. And use an aerosol glass cleaner to do windows and headlamps that are covered in bugs.
I'm not sure where in the hell you get these ideas from, but if you honestly think a clay bar is only good for 'raildust' and 'overspray', you really need to stay in school!