I am ready to order a PC, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I am ready to order a PC, need some advice.

As stated in the title, I am stepping up my detailing game and I am ready to buy a PC. However I would like your advice and answers.

I am hoping to take advantage of DI's "Buffer Week" so I can get a better deal.

-First off, what is the difference between the 7424 and the 7424xp?
Also, I will be using the buffer for mainly applying polishes, and maybe I will use it for waxing every once in a while....Which leads me to my next question.....What pads should I get for removing light and medium scratches and blemishes in the paint, applying polishes and wax. I plan on getting 3 pads in total.

-What is the best size pad? 4 or 6.5?

Also, what products work best with what pads?

I appreciate ANY and all info.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Also, is it necessary to get the counter weight?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think 3 pads should cover the whole range from non abrasive to intensive. and i think the best size depends on what kind of work you are doing.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Investing in a PC will definitely help improve your details.

The primary difference between the Porter Cable 7424 and the 7424 XP is a bigger motor (3.7A to 4.5A) and more speed (6,000 OPM to 6,800 OPM). The switch was upgraded to a more durable switch and the placement of the speed dial was relocated for easier switching between speeds. It's definitely a nice improvement over the previous model and runs a little smoother when operating.

The counterweight helps reduce some vibration with larger pads. It certainly is not a necessity, but one of the biggest complaints about the PC is the amount of vibration at full speed.

Smaller pads offer more control and the ability to concentrate the energy of the buffer in a smaller area, which allows you to break down polishes more effectively. It may take a little longer to properly polish with smaller pads, but you give yourself the ability to correct deeper imperfections easier. Larger pads are nice for applying glazes, sealants or liquid waxes since you don't have to break down any abrasive particles.

If I were picking three pads, I'd go with orange, white and black... or for a little less bite, swap the orange with a green pad. It's nice to have various options when it comes to pads so you can easily tackle more imperfections.

For a polish, one of the best starting points is Menzerna Power Finish. It's a medium cut polish that finishes down quite nicely. In many cases it's as effective, if not more effective than most 2 step combinations, which makes it a very popular polish amongst professional detailers.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you think of the new tool.

George
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Myself I don't use 6.5" pads I prefer the 5.5" pads, and as far as the 4" ones go I only use them for spot correction or tighter areas. I don't buy the theory that they correct better ..

Think of it this way one rotation of a 4" pad travels 13" a rotation of a 5.5" pad travels 18.5" thus the speed of the 5.5" pad will be greater generating more heat and correction. And where needed you can apply pressure to one side of the pad for added correction.

I'm in the process of doing an oxidized and badly rail dusted white 2001 Alero that has never been taken care of and I am getting equal but quicker results with the 5.5" pad than with the 4" pad.

6.5" pads to me are too cumbersome and the added vibration even with the counter weight gets tiring.

JMHO