How to remedy moderate scratches on car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 11:07 PM
I've seen this before...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remedy moderate scratches on car?

I have these annoying, annoying scratches that are on my trunk and roof...is there any possible way to remove or at least hide them without getting a pricey paint job or touch-up? What products out there can I use? I know some of you have dealt with this before because I remember reading posts from way back. Any help would be appreciated. One more thing, where on the internet can I find cheap parts for my car, ESPECIALLY driver's and passenger side airbags??? Thanx for the help fellas...

One
Old 02-03-2002, 11:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
well, I had some polished wheels that were scratched, so I just took some steel wool and a brillow pad and tried to buff them out. then I polished them with some GS27 and a rough rag(I finnally found a damn use for that crap) . It didn't completely take out the surface scratch, but it looks like its 75% gone. hope that helps. the steel wool can be bought at the local hardware or plumbing supply store, get fine and coarse. good luck
Old 02-03-2002, 11:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
forget that last post, I misread your topic. I thought it said rim instead of car...
Old 02-04-2002, 09:58 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: How to remedy moderate scratches on car?

Originally posted by Mugen_Power
I have these annoying, annoying scratches that are on my trunk and roof...is there any possible way to remove or at least hide them without getting a pricey paint job or touch-up? What products out there can I use? I know some of you have dealt with this before because I remember reading posts from way back. Any help would be appreciated. One more thing, where on the internet can I find cheap parts for my car, ESPECIALLY driver's and passenger side airbags??? Thanx for the help fellas...

One

I too have a bunch of scratches on my trunk. So yesterday I went out and got some scratch remover made by Mothers. Well, I did as the instructions said but the scratches are still as noticable as before. I hope someone can suggest a product that has been tried and works.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Racer

There are many options - depending on the severity of the marks . . . but here is a cut and paste that gets passed around a lot . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

98% of all cars have swirl marks and fine scratches including brand new cars.

Why? Because of dealer prepping and using an abrasive polish combined with the
wrong towels and incorrect washing of towels. Abrasives and Polyester in towels are
the most common causes of swirl marks and fine scratches, especially on brand new
paint finishes. The dealer is the first person to start the swirl process on a paint
finish.

Here's a way to check if your paint has swirls or scratches. Look at your paint finish
under fluorescent lighting. This will let you see every mark on the paint surface.
Then you be the judge.

Store bought Swirl removers are just a temporary illusion and a Band-Aid
approach to the problem.....

I am totally against using abrasives on paint finishes. Abrasives, no matter how fine,
create new scratches, they should be avoided and only used when absolutely
necessary. And then only by a trained professional. The clear-coat on today's paint
finishes is very thin and abrasive products will thin it even further and hurt it, in
the long run creating many more swirl marks and fine scratches.

All swirl removers contain abrasives and are loaded with silicone oils and other oils.

Zaino Show Car Polish contains no Abrasives or Silicone oils. Although abrasives
remove scratches they create new scratches and swirls and they thin out the
clear-coat. Silicone oil camouflages swirls and scratches, temporarily, as soon as the
oil washes away or evaporates the swirls are visible again. Kinda a Catch-22. Z-5
fills swirls and scratches and does not create any new scratches. Because Z-5
durability is so high and will not wash away. The scratches will stay filled. That's
the hot ticket to a flawless paint finish.

The Z-5 is applied, as per directions, and will fill swirls and scratches in stages. One
to three coats of Z-5 depending on the amount and degree of scratches. Z-2 should
always be the last coat of polish on the car. Z-2 has higher optics than Z-5. You can
go from Z-2 to Z-5 and back to Z-2 anytime you like. Always use Z-6 "Gloss
Enhancer spray between each and ever coat of Z-5 or Z-2.

With deeper swirls and fine scratches sometimes the use of an mild abrasive product
like 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009 is necessary.. I try
to avoid the use of abrasives and would try my best with Z5, to see if it will correct
the problem. However if you don't see a visible difference after 1 or 2 coats of Z-5.
Waiting 6 to 24 hours between coats of Z-5... Then you need to use the 3M Foam
Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009... see following tips...

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By hand:
Simply apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) to a cotton diaper or piece
of cotton towel and rub back and forth into about a 1'X 1' section using light to
medium pressure until it starts to dry out. Then take a second towel and lightly rub
back and forth until the polish residue disappears and the gloss comes up. If there
are still some swirls visible you can repeat this step until they are minimal. I prefer
using a less aggressive product a couple times instead of using a more aggressive
product once. After you have done the entire car you can Dawn wash and reapply
your favorite wax/polish or Zaino Z-1 and Z-5/Z-2.

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By orbital:

Use a 100% cotton bonnet or a foam bonnet and apply the polish in a thin lined
growing circle starting from the center and spacing the growing line about an inch
from the last round all the way to the edge. Place the bonnet flat on a panel and
activate the polisher and begin working the entire panel using light to medium
pressure. When you have worked the panel thoroughly then take a clean towel and
wipe the residue off in a back and forth motion using light pressure. Then simply
move to the next section. When the entire car is done do a Dawn wash and Zaino.
DO NOT ever use cotton T-shirts on your car. They contain polyester and will cause
swirl marks and scratch your paint finish. Use my #314 applicator pad for applying
my polish. Read the Tips & Tricks sheet. http://www.zainobros.com

- - - - - - -

i hope this gets you started - there are other items out there besides the 3M - there are cutting compounds, etc, but best left to a brave hand . . .

also, try searching the subject here, using the search function . . .
Old 02-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by rondog
well, I had some polished wheels that were scratched, so I just took some steel wool and a brillow pad and tried to buff them out. then I polished them with some GS27 and a rough rag(I finnally found a damn use for that crap) . It didn't completely take out the surface scratch, but it looks like its 75% gone. hope that helps. the steel wool can be bought at the local hardware or plumbing supply store, get fine and coarse. good luck
GS27 comes off after carwash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2002, 12:57 PM
An Official Cl Whore

Just use Meguiars Scratch-X
Old 06-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

how good is the Meguiars Scratch-X?
Old 06-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Rickrack79@hotmail.com

Removing scratches in your paint

The only way that you will be able to remove the scratches in your paint is with a high speed buffer. I own a detail shop in Malden, MA and have been detailing for years. Anything you apply by hand just deepens the shine but doesn't remove the scratches...It just fills them in temporarily. All it does is hide them for a little while. A high speed buffer heats up the surface and actually melts the paint and will fill in the scratches in your paint. I suggest bringing it to a good local detail shop and having it buffed twice a year. Just keep it up by yourself between buff-jobs by waxing it every 2 months or so. Make sure that you bring it to a good detail that knows what they're doing because some people don't have a clue! Some people think they need to use high speed but it's not necessary unless you have reall deep scratches. A really light compound followed by a swirl remover or glaze should do the trick. Make sure they apply a good coat of wax after they're done buffing to seal in the shine and protect the paint. You should be left with no scratches or swirls as long as they use a low speed setting when buffing. Swirls are caused by using the buffer at high speeds. Hope this helps you out. Let me know how it comes out.