how to make sure my car is clean

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to make sure my car is clean

i want to keep my new ride spotless always..i see lot of great looking cars in this community (good job guys.) how do you keep it clean?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
usually we wash them...lol....j/k...cant go wrong with meguires products

Last edited by 07tl-s6spd; 10-11-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Wrong forum, you want to post this in Wash & Wax section, because that's exactly what we do. Wash and wax. I use Armour All wash and turtle carnuba wax, and I like it so far. I'm stil experimenting though.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Clay bar the finish, then buff/polish, then synthetic sealer. In general, synthetic sealants will outlast traditional wax products. 2 coats with 12-24 hrs between is good for a few months.

I try to wax or use sealer every other month, and clay car 2-3 times a year.

Doing this will make hand washing and hand drying the car a lot easier.

You can learn everything in the wash/wax section.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
usually we wash them...lol....j/k...cant go wrong with meguires products
lol...thanks i did take it to a car wash today but seems like i can never get it right (wash left few water marks)
Old 10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Wrong forum, you want to post this in Wash & Wax section, because that's exactly what we do. Wash and wax. I use Armour All wash and turtle carnuba wax, and I like it so far. I'm stil experimenting though.
thanks..yeah being a newbie to the community confused me a bit....
Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by powerflow
Clay bar the finish, then buff/polish, then synthetic sealer. In general, synthetic sealants will outlast traditional wax products. 2 coats with 12-24 hrs between is good for a few months.

I try to wax or use sealer every other month, and clay car 2-3 times a year.

Doing this will make hand washing and hand drying the car a lot easier.

You can learn everything in the wash/wax section.
thanks...will try this next weekend...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
If you insist on taking it to the scratch and dashes, use a spray wax after every wash. Im assuming you have applied a base coat of protection as well?
A lot of folks regularly schedule maintenance trip to the dealer or mechanic, yet fail to care for exterior and interior components, Ive always wondered why.
Preventative maintenance goes a long way with exterior and interior car care.
Use a gentle clay bar twice annually, followed by polishing with a light abrasive polish, then wrap it up with a nice Polymer protectant. Use that spray wax after every wash, and an occasional quick detail to refreshen between washes.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My first question is what color is your car?

My second question is how dedicated are you keeping your car clean ALL the time?

I'm probably the nuttiest on this forum for keeping their car clean . Most people are satisfied with simply washing their car and keeping it clean for 1-2 days. After the dust, dew, and pollen take over the car is back to looking . If this is your commitment then do what everyone else does.

For me, it is show time every time I drive my TL-S. Yes, I mean EVERY time I drive my TL-S! I rarely have to wash my TL-S when it is not raining. What I mean is I have only washed my car 1-2 times since June. Why? It is bone dry out here in CA during the late spring and summer. I also have a solid paint maintenance program. I really do not like washing since it takes me 3 hrs from start to finish. I have listed what a typical week looks like for me in order to maintain show car paint all the time. Note that I commute 80 miles/day for work during the week.

Saturday
  • Morning: Duster + Quick Detailer on paint, wheels, and glass. Total Time = 1 hour
  • Morning: Optimum NRWS on wheels and tires if brake dust is getting heavy. Add one coat of Tuf Shine tire clearcoat if needed.

Sunday
  • Morning: Duster on paint and glass + Quick Detailer on wheels. Total Time = 10-15 minutes
  • Evening: Duster on paint and glass + Quick Detailer on wheels.

Monday
  • Arrive at work: Duster on paint and glass + Quick Detailer on wheels. Total Time = 10-15 minutes

Tuesday
  • Arrive at work: Duster on paint and glass + Quick Detailer on wheels.

Wednesday
  • Drive Civic to work

Thursday
  • Drive Civic to work

Friday

You can click on this link for a detailed description of my daily paint maintenance program. CLICK HERE

Naturally, this program is modified when the weather gets wet during the winter and spring. I do not use my paint maintenance procedure on a dirty car. This is very important for keeping swirls and scratches out of soft Acura paint. My paint maintenance procedure works because the paint rarely gets more than a little dusty. Also, I do not have to worry about prepping for winter since it does not snow at sea level in the bay area. Winter is just cold, dry, with some rain mixed in.

Do you really want to keep your car "spotless always"?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
:
Indeed you are.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

My second question is how dedicated are you keeping your car clean ALL the time?

I'm probably the nuttiest on this forum for keeping their car clean . Most people are satisfied with simply washing their car and keeping it clean for 1-2 days. After the dust, dew, and pollen take over the car is back to looking . If this is your commitment then do what everyone else does.

For me, it is show time every time I drive my TL-S. Yes, I mean EVERY time I drive my TL-S! I rarely have to wash my TL-S when it is not raining. What I mean is I have only washed my car 1-2 times since June. Why? It is bone dry out here in CA during the late spring and summer. I also have a solid paint maintenance program. I really do not like washing since it takes me 3 hrs from start to finish. I have listed what a typical week looks like for me in order to maintain show car paint all the time. Note that I commute 80 miles/day for work during the week.

Saturday
  • Morning: Duster + Quick Detailer on paint, wheels, and glass. Total Time = 1 hour
  • Morning: Optimum NRWS on wheels and tires if brake dust is getting heavy. Add one coat of Tuf Shine tire clearcoat if needed.

Sunday
  • Morning: Duster on paint and glass + Quick Detailer on wheels. Total Time = 10-15 minutes

Monday
  • Arrive at work: Duster on paint and glass + Quick Detailer on wheels. Total Time = 10-15 minutes

Tuesday

Wednesday
  • Drive Civic to work

Thursday
  • Drive Civic to work

Friday

You can click on this link for a detailed description of my daily paint maintenance program. CLICK HERE

Naturally, this program is modified when the weather gets wet during the winter and spring. I do not use my paint maintenance procedure on a dirty car. This is very important for keeping swirls and scratches out of soft Acura paint. My paint maintenance procedure works because the paint rarely gets more than a little dusty. Also, I do not have to worry about prepping for winter since it does not snow at sea level in the bay area. Winter is just cold, dry, with some rain mixed in.

Oh wow...i am not sure if i can follow u r schedule but yes i want to keep it clean always.....thanks for the info now atleast i know what it takes for me to make my car look like yours....
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Racer

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday
  • Drive Civic to work

Thursday
  • Drive Civic to work

Friday

Not nutty, just deticated, a true enthusiast, your Type S is gotta be in the top three cleanest NBP's on AZ
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
For those of us that don't live in Cali, you just have to accept that dirt happens. Having the paint clean with clay and layered with sealants helps to protect the paint and enable you to keep the car clean easily and be able to wash and spray wax between major details (twice a year)
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

Once you have it properly detailed, I'd say you can very easily maintain it with a once a week wash, and still have a great looking car. If the weather is good, then once every 2 weeks is possible, although a black car will start looking dirty sooner if you're up close.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04yfz
Once you have it properly detailed, I'd say you can very easily maintain it with a once a week wash, and still have a great looking car. If the weather is good, then once every 2 weeks is possible, although a black car will start looking dirty sooner if you're up close.
I fully endorse spray waxes with this above procedure!!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfox23
Not nutty, just deticated, a true enthusiast, your Type S is gotta be in the top three cleanest NBP's on AZ
Thanks skyfox23.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I fully endorse spray waxes with this above procedure!!
I shouldve mentioned it, yes a spray wax is a must. Optimum Spray Wax is one of my favorite products.