How to get dried bugs, etc. off of car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get dried bugs, etc. off of car...

Anyone know a good way to get dried/hardened bugs, etc. off the front of my car? I live way down in the bayou and still have some love bugs stuck on my car that I just can't seem to get off. Please let me know if you use a certain product or method to get them off

Thanks,
Amanda
Old 03-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Claybar works pretty good.

You can order some from Zaino (instructions there too):
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

or you can pick some up from a pepboys or something.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

thanks for your reply. I don't have a tsx, yet, just an old saturn. I still like to take good care of her and keep her clean. Hopefully I can get that zaino clay bar and other stuff this week and thoroughly wash my car this weekend.

Thanks again,
Amanda
Old 03-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by TSX 'R' US

or you can pick some up from a pepboys or something.
Oops, I reread my post and probably mis-informed... Pepboys and other auto stores don't carry Zaino products, but they carry other brands of claybar..like Mothers. Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

oh ok... i misunderstood what you said too. I guess I'll search around online and fine the cheapest prices on zaino stuff.

thanks!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Try some WD-40. It sould take the stuff right off. Using a clay bar is kinda wasteful because you will want to throw it away after its full of bug guts.

Slats

P.S. The WD-40 will prevent more love bugs from sticking too!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:52 PM
CDR
Instructor

Clay will work fine, but can be overkill. There are cleaners made for insects and tar which work well and will not not remove the wax or sealant. I use Einszett "Anti-insekt" for sap, tar, and occasionally bugs; there are other brands as well.

It's used a lot like pretreating spots on a carpet. When washing your car, give the car it's first rinse with water, then spray on this or similar product on the bugs and let it sit a couple of minutes. Then, wash normally with your favorite car soap. Most stuff comes right off without any scrubbingl.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hot water,soap, and a sponge have always worked for me. Just gotta scrub a bit sometimes.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:28 PM
No Longer a Poseur

I picked up the trick from the Carwash section of using a well moistened fabric softener sheet or two.....it re-hydrates the bugs and lets you use soap and water to wash them away.

Tried it on a few cars that had some nicely baked on bugs, and it really works well. Even if you let the fabric softener dry, it's still easy to get the stuff off.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:07 AM
Racer

I find the trick to getting that type of stuff off your car is to wash it regularly, like every week.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Geaux Tigers!!!

wow, thanks for all of the replies... i have tried everything listed but the clay bar. We have some "Bug and Tar Remover" stuff and it doesn't work... I've tried using a Bounce(?) fabric softener sheet too, nothing seems to work. I'm not sure if ya'll have love bugs where ya'll are from, but those suckers are hard to get off. I even use a nose cover during love bug season but somehow still manage to have guts stuck on my car

Thanks again for the replies!

and note... I wash my car every two weeks like a damn fool! Even though it's just a 2000 Saturn SL2, I still treat her like a queen
Old 03-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Racer

Go for the clay then and then I'd try Zaino on your next detail. It's kind of hard to apply but it works really well. It's very slick feeling on the pain, and in my experience will make dried debris come off much more easily. Your car will wash dirt free with very little effort.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Racer

if you've never used clay bar before, u'd be shocked how well it works. make sure you wax your car after you use the clay bar. i recommend klasse all-in-one (AIO) toped with klasse sealent glaze (SG). do a search on the internet if you are interested. These two products are so easy to use. klasse AIO removes oxidation and contaminates from your car. and the SG gives your car a layer of arcrylic protection. you shouldn't have as much as a problem washing your car after you apply these products.

however, even if you don't choose klasse products, you SHOULD (by should, i mean you HAVE TO) wax your car with something after you clay bar it. besides, a waxed car will make washing easier next time.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

You know, I just realized that I may not be able to use any of this stuff on my car. I have to use special Saturn wax on my car because it's made of a different material or something. Granted, Saturn could be lying to me and making me buy wax from them... I'm not sure.

Do any of you know? I'd hate to buy all of this stuff and realize I can't use it.... or use it and then screw up my car :'(

Thx,
Amanda
Old 03-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Saturn Wax? I think they are pulling your leg. I recall from some Saturn advertising a few years ago that they make the body panels from fiberglass or something similar that resists dings and dents but surface treatment shouldn't be different. A wax will not damage anything. The TSX has fiberglass bumper covers and those get waxed just like the rest of the car. The wax is a protective coating that is laid down on top of the car surface. You should be OK using a good over the counter wax product.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jlukja
Saturn Wax? I think they are pulling your leg. I recall from some Saturn advertising a few years ago that they make the body panels from fiberglass or something similar that resists dings and dents but surface treatment shouldn't be different. A wax will not damage anything. The TSX has fiberglass bumper covers and those get waxed just like the rest of the car. The wax is a protective coating that is laid down on top of the car surface. You should be OK using a good over the counter wax product.
yeah, i've never heard of saturn wax before. i think its just marketing (i'm pretty sure). if honda made wax, i woudln't buy it form them anyhow. reason: honda is good at making cars. i'll buy wax from people who are good at making wax. if the wax you are using now leaves a powder like residue after you have buffed off the wax, then it is definatly not that great of a product.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!

yeah, i figured it was probably a load of bull.... but i sort of inherited this car and that person already had the saturn wax, so I inherited it too. Glad to know I don't have to use just that though... stuff is orange and stains everything! Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully the weather clears up by this weekend and I can clean her really good. I'm hyped up about using this clay bar stuff. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!