How do you guys clean floor mats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you guys clean floor mats?

Can I wash them in regular washer/dryer? Or do you think it is better to spend $10 and get it done at professional place?

Please let me know, thanks!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're talking about the factory carpet mats, treat them like any carpet or door mat. Take them off, lay them on some garbage bags and vacuum the rubber lining then sprinkle the carpeted side with carpet deodorant and let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum.

I got sick of cleaning two sets of mats that I now only use the rubber mats all year round. I picked up a set of black "Pant-Saver" mats from Costco and wash them along with the car (using regular car wash soap) every so often
Old 11-24-2004, 10:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Azuki
Can I wash them in regular washer/dryer? Or do you think it is better to spend $10 and get it done at professional place?

Please let me know, thanks!
I've never tried washing mine in the machine. I know someone with a VW who has *only* cleaned hers in the washer and dryer and her mats look brand new. ??

I usually dampen the mat, spray some carpet shampoo, then use a carpet brush and scrub by hand. After I've let some of that sit (or even immediately after) - I vaccuum the mat with a wet/dry vac. You should see how brown and dirty the remaining moisture is in the vac canister! If I were to let the shampoo dry into the mat instead of using the vaccuum while still it's still a bit moist, I would be leaving all of that dirt in the carpet. ...You'd be surprised at what's really in there even when you think it looks clean.

If you're going to have the whole interior steam cleaned/shampooed, then I would consider a professional detailer (although I do it myself). If you're only going to have them clean the mats, I think $10 is a bit much for two or four mats.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
You'd be surprised at what's really in there even when you think it looks clean.

That's why I don't use the carpet mats anymore.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
You can try to put them in the washer and dryewr, but they won't look good anymore.... I put my Toyotas carpet mats in the washer and dryer, they look funny now....

For the Acura, I just got some rubber mats and I just wash them every time I wash the car. I vaccuum the carpet ones, so they still look new.... I would get them professionally cleaned this one time and then get some rubber mats to put over the carpet ones... peace.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

You don't really need 2 sets of mats in there it will take up legroom. The carpeted mats underneath won't do a thing and would just take up space. It requires too much maintenance and sucks up all the water when it rains.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Boy Genius

I've taken my carpeted mats to the coin wash, tack them up against the wall and go to work with the water gun. I do that first before the car, so by the time I put them back in most of the excess water has dripped off. Has worked fine for me and the pressure of the water gets really deep into the dirt and grit in the fibres.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just take the vaccuum to them and spot clean them with those woolite wipes. Did mine today and they still look new. well they practically are but thats besides the point.

I plan on picking up a set of the rubber mats also. I think they would be better for me.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

For my old car (2002 Accord), I used to take them out and run my normal carpet vacuum over them. Lots of sand gets stuck in the carpet fibers and the beater bar of the vacuum really loosens them up so the vacuum can do it's thing. About twice a year, I would use my Hoover carpet shampooer on them. I usually clean them 3 or 4 times before the water that's extracted doesn't look completely black. I then finish up with a water rinse (no shampoo). They look new when I'm done. It really is amazing how much stuff is trapped in the mats.

In my TL, I still plan to do the vacuum/shampooer, but I have not done so in the 3 months I've had the car. So far I've just vacuumed the mats with my shop vac. The dealer threw in the rubber mats when I got the car and I'll give them a try this winter. Hopefully it will help since most of the grime comes from being dragged into the car when it snows.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by lokman
I've taken my carpeted mats to the coin wash, tack them up against the wall and go to work with the water gun. I do that first before the car, so by the time I put them back in most of the excess water has dripped off. Has worked fine for me and the pressure of the water gets really deep into the dirt and grit in the fibres.

Yep, and I bet that's what a lot of 'detailers' do as well --- the ones you pay $15 to clean your mats (in terms of Azuki's original questions)! :P That's why I just do the stuff myself whenever possible!!

Footnote: I'm sure many pros really do clean with more time, care, and professional products than the coin-wash method, but just know what you're paying for!
Old 11-26-2004, 09:41 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I use Simple Green, I vacuum off the mat lightly then cover it w/ a bunch of shots of SG. I thin get a hard bristled brush and scrub vigorously and then hose off and go at them w/ the shop vac.

Does great. For real hard stains I use Folex
Old 11-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Advanced

If only spot cleaning needed:

1) vacuum carpets mats completely
2) spay carpet shampoo/cleaner on needed areas
3) scrub with a stiff bristled brush
4) take a cotton towel and wrap around the brush and brush the treated area (you'll see the dirt picked up onto the towel)
5) then finish by vacuuming the whole carpet mat again in straight motion in one direction

If you need to wet shampoo the whole carpet mat:

1) vacuum carpets mats completely
2) spay carpet shampoo/cleaner on the whole matt (don't hold back on the shampoo, douse it)
3) scrub with a stiff bristled brush (or use an orbital with the bristle attachment)
4) rinse carpet completely with water till no foam is present (a pressure washer is great to use here if you have one)
5) use a wet vac to vacuum all the water out in a straight motion in one direction
6) let the carpet hang dry (you can use binder clips to hold the carpet mats and hang to a nail on your fence)
Note: if you see stains at the bottom of the carpet, you didn't rinse it completely. Also, if the carpet is very stiff, again, you didn't rinse it completely and need to spray rinse the carpets again till no foam is present
7) Once dry, you can vacuum them again in a straight motion in one direction or just use a brush to brush them in a straight motion to give it a nice consistent look