How do buffers/orbitals work to remove scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
How do buffers/orbitals work to remove scratches?

So my NBP RL has quite a bit of fine scratches and such from getting it washed at the dealer back when I got it. I'm thinking about using a random orbital to take the swirl marks out. I just have a couple of questions:

1. What is the theory behind using a orbital to remove the scratches? Does it melt the paint just enough so the scratches are covered up, or does it take just enough paint off so that the swirl marks are removed? If so, wouldn't the paint just get thinner and thinner each time and remove the clear coat? Isn't that bad?

2. Can polishing remove minor rock chip marks and smooth out touch up paint?

3. Is it the same working on the body of the car compared to the bumpers?

4. I still have some adhesive residue from taking the car from delivery (from those plastic lining things that are on the car). I tried using goo-gone to get rid of it, but it's not happening. Wondering if polishing it will remove it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Bold

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
So my NBP RL has quite a bit of fine scratches and such from getting it washed at the dealer back when I got it. I'm thinking about using a random orbital to take the swirl marks out. I just have a couple of questions:
Wise move, which Im certain will provide you many years of pleasure!

1. What is the theory behind using a orbital to remove the scratches? Does it melt the paint just enough so the scratches are covered up, or does it take just enough paint off so that the swirl marks are removed? If so, wouldn't the paint just get thinner and thinner each time and remove the clear coat? Isn't that bad?
RO's do not generate enough heat when used properly to heat the paint/surface to cause any damage. RO's themself, do not remove the paint (actually clear coat on most of the cars on the road), its the combination or pads used and products applied. The abrasive and cutting properties of pads and polishes are what help reduce the vertical edges of swirls and scratches, when polishing. No theort there, proven fact!
There are many variables when polishing, that yield many results. But far less room for error or damage then a hi speed rotary in the hands of a beginner.
Yes, its true, the CC does get thinner and thinnner, but were talking very minute amounts, even over the years. I certainly do not recommend polishing with compound or other very abrasive products with every turn of the season. Nor do I really recommend removing every single scratch and swirl, every time. You must reach a happy medium you can live with. Over polishing as you can imagine, is not a good thing. Depeleting the cars protection (clear coat) is not the goal were after when polishing, minimizing swirls and scratches is, isnt it?

2. Can polishing remove minor rock chip marks and smooth out touch up paint?
No and yes. A chip is an accidental fracture in the paint which normally is so severe, as the word states, it chips away. Polishing is also part of the steps required to smooth touch up repairs.

3. Is it the same working on the body of the car compared to the bumpers?
Basically yes, although bumpers are not painted while attached to the car, so they dont recieve identical paint treatments. Plus bumpers are hardened plastic, and easier to heat up with polishes and orbitals. They are also flexible to a degree, which is good and bad when polishing. You would take a similar approach to polishing bumpers as you would the rest of the car. I use 4" pads when polishing bumpers also.

4. I still have some adhesive residue from taking the car from delivery (from those plastic lining things that are on the car). I tried using goo-gone to get rid of it, but it's not happening. Wondering if polishing it will remove it?
Some folks use alcohol to help break up adhesives. I have had good luck with WD-40 for adhesives. Also, careful with goo gone around plastics. I have a new organic product I will soon be carrying, not that that does you any luck at the moment though!

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Pro

Wow, thanks for the info! I just hope when I do polish the RL with the random orbital that I won't eff it up like a 12 year old highschool drop out. Probably practice on another car first.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually those using a PC for the 1st time have quite a few more questions? Polishes? Pads? Speeds?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info! I just hope when I do polish the RL with the random orbital that I won't eff it up like a 12 year old highschool drop out. Probably practice on another car first.
Here's a step by step guide on properly polishing your vehicle, addressing differences between buffers, pad selection and some common polish combinations. If you take some time to read up on properly polishing, there's very little risk to damaging your paint. The more you practice polishing, the better you'll be at it.

If you need a hand selecting anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Usually those using a PC for the 1st time have quite a few more questions? Polishes? Pads? Speeds?
Oh yes, I forgot about those. I'm pretty clueless about polishes, but from what I read it's usually a pretty non abrasive polish used for getting the swirl marks out, I think. As for pads, it should generally be the foam pads correct? I'm not sure which type of foam pads to use if there are varying types. For the speeds, does it depend on the random orbital itself? I was looking at griotsgarage's video about using a random orbital and they seemed to favor 4 for the speed to remove the swirl marks.

Thanks for the help again.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DetailedImage
Here's a step by step guide on properly polishing your vehicle, addressing differences between buffers, pad selection and some common polish combinations. If you take some time to read up on properly polishing, there's very little risk to damaging your paint. The more you practice polishing, the better you'll be at it.

If you need a hand selecting anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Great info, thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Great info, thanks
i would also encourage you to read a few of the sticky threads in this forum. if you have a specific question, Patrick and George both have products available to help you accomplish your goal... and many of the members have tons of experience...

but like Patrick said, manage your expectations... you aren't going to get the car in showroom condition, especially if it is your DD