Help with scratches, Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with scratches, Please

This morning I almost had a heart attack when I discovered the whole passenger side of my hood full of scratches. I swear if I find out whose cat it was Im going to kill that sucker maybe not, but I am extremely mad :angry: the scratches look kind of deep I can put my fingernail on it and all are about six inches long from the center of the hood to the fender. Any ideas on how to fix it? I figured that I better check with the experts in this forum before I make it worse.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: Help with scratches, Please

[i]....the scratches look kind of deep I can put my fingernail on it and all are about six inches long from the center of the hood to the fender. Any ideas on how to fix it?[/B]
Does the scratch appear to go through the clearcoat down to the paint?

Based on what you're telling us, nothing that you could do would fix it completely. It might be possible for someone skilled with a rotary buffer to minimize the appearance of the scratches, however I would imagine that the only way to get it back to new condition is a repaint.

Any chance of posting closeup pictures?

Sorry.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You could always give Meguires Scratch X a try.........
Old 06-12-2002, 01:14 PM

some of the scratches are a little deeper than others, Im going to try some scratch removers before i decide to get it repainted.

Today I went to autozone to check out what they had and figure that I would ask for your guys recomendetions before doing permenant damage with some bad stuff.
Nicky Pass I did see Meguires Scratch X at autozone, but dint know if it was any good. I also have a bottle of turtle was swirl and scratch remover that I found in the shed. Should I try it or stay away from it?

thanks guys, I feel a lot better than i did yesterday. (It feels worse than getting kicked in the balls :'(
Old 06-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Just trying to save you some money.

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, scratch remover is not going to fix it.

Save the money and find a good bodyshop. I can't see anything but a rotary buffer helping to minimize the scratches.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:47 PM
I love eggs!!!!!!!!!

I used that turtle wax-didn't work for shit, well, not for me anyway, and my scratches aren't real deep
Old 06-16-2002, 07:44 PM

I had a chance to the turtle wax for about 10 minutes today, before it started to pour. It did help it a bit for the short period of time that I tried. Now white marks are gone, but I still have the scratches. I think the will come off with a lot of elbow grease, just hope that it does not rain tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Rickrack79@hotmail.com

scratches

I own a detail shop in MA and if the scratches are as deep as you say, than you won't be able to get them out by hand. If you can put your fingernail in the scratch than you will probably need to bring it to someone who knows how to wetsand. I recommend using some 2000 grit wet/dry paper on the scratches. You will need to compound the wetsanded area with a high speed buffer and follow it up with some glaze or polish to bring back the shine. If this does not do the trick than you will need a repaint. You'd be amazed at some of the scratches I have removed by wetsanding. If you don't get the results you were looking for and don't want to pay for a repaint than you can try this also: get some factory touch up paint and fill in the scratches that are really deep. Don't worry about being to anal about it. Just fill in the scratches so the paint is higher than the paint on the car. Let it dry for a couple hours and wetsand over the high spots until the painted areas are smooth. This should fill in the scratches without leaving big gobs of paint on your hood. Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you decide to try this and how it comes out. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2002, 06:56 PM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Just trying to save you some money.

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, scratch remover is not going to fix it.

Save the money and find a good bodyshop. I can't see anything but a rotary buffer helping to minimize the scratches.
He is completly correct
Old 07-01-2002, 06:57 PM
Adult Supervision

Re: scratches

Originally posted by RickRack
I own a detail shop in MA and if the scratches are as deep as you say, than you won't be able to get them out by hand. If you can put your fingernail in the scratch than you will probably need to bring it to someone who knows how to wetsand. I recommend using some 2000 grit wet/dry paper on the scratches. You will need to compound the wetsanded area with a high speed buffer and follow it up with some glaze or polish to bring back the shine. If this does not do the trick than you will need a repaint. You'd be amazed at some of the scratches I have removed by wetsanding. If you don't get the results you were looking for and don't want to pay for a repaint than you can try this also: get some factory touch up paint and fill in the scratches that are really deep. Don't worry about being to anal about it. Just fill in the scratches so the paint is higher than the paint on the car. Let it dry for a couple hours and wetsand over the high spots until the painted areas are smooth. This should fill in the scratches without leaving big gobs of paint on your hood. Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you decide to try this and how it comes out. Good luck!
RickRack - Welcome. I'm a bit north of you in NA.