hand waxing vs. rotational buffer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 12:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hand waxing vs. rotational buffer

Hello,

First and foremost thanks to everyone for helping me out with my two other questions the first being around rims, the second around the stereo.

Just as an FYI, I ended up getting 18x8 TSW Kyalami rims with 245/40/18 Yoko ES100's. Car looks amazing. Get a lot of compliments. The hyper silver on the rims looks awesome against the black. On the radio situation I took most people's advice and kept the system the way it is. Seems like it had to go through a break in period.

My next question is I have read a lot on this forum about Zaino, so I decided to go out and purchase their products. I had heard power buffers are not recommended for new cars! Not sure if that is true. I might be wrong, but I would think you would get a more efficient removal of the wax as well as a much better polished look. Should I leave the power buffing to the professionals or should I give it a shot.

thx
Old 06-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is like asking should you shit daily vs. once a week enema. Not even worth the comparison. Rotational buffers can damage the paint, and the whole point of waxing the car is to protect the paint.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Your thread will be moved to the more appropriate forum now...

Wash & Wax...
Old 06-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AnuTL
Should I leave the power buffing to the professionals or should I give it a shot.

thx
Yes, you should leave the power buffing to the professionals. As already stated, you run the risk of "cutting" the paint off of your car if you're not a veteran.

With Zaino, trust me, you won't need any power buffer to remove the stuff. It comes off easier than a 18 year-old girl's panties on prom night.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:27 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by AnuTL
Hello,

I had heard power buffers are not recommended for new cars! Not sure if that is true. I might be wrong, but I would think you would get a more efficient removal of the wax as well as a much better polished look. Should I leave the power buffing to the professionals or should I give it a shot.

thx

leave the rotary work to the professionals.. You might want to invest in a Orbital polisher though. An orbital will do just as good of a job as a rotary but it will be much much safer and it will also take much more time.. Typically the rotary will be used and then the orbital and then maybe a final coat by hand.. If you were going to spend money on an orbital I would reccomend the Porter Cable 7424, check out www.bettercarcare.com for an article and picturtes on it, you won't believe your eyes.. And if you want to see some meguiars videos on "removing paint defects" there are located in the "detailing how-to section" or one of the other sections it isn't hard to find.

enjoy thoes videos, I have watched them a bunch of times. They help out alot with understanding the paint
Old 06-25-2004, 01:32 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by tripp11
Yes, you should leave the power buffing to the professionals. As already stated, you run the risk of "cutting" the paint off of your car if you're not a veteran.

With Zaino, trust me, you won't need any power buffer to remove the stuff. It comes off easier than a 18 year-old girl's panties on prom night.

Actually, Zaino is one of the hardest products to remove compared to NXT, woflgang, Klasse, P21S, Enziette, etc.etc.

Personally I perfer these products over Zaino as well but to each is own... but it is definitely not one of the easier products to remove..
Old 06-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
Actually, Zaino is one of the hardest products to remove compared to NXT, woflgang, Klasse, P21S, Enziette, etc.etc.

Personally I perfer these products over Zaino as well but to each is own... but it is definitely not one of the easier products to remove..
Can you buy most of these stuff at retail store such as kragen, pepboys, or walmart? thanks,
Old 06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a good orbital, easy to use once you know the rules about angle of attack and pressure needed. But it will WEAR your arms and fingers out.. the vibration makes ya go numb. But it works very nicely.

And remember, put the pad down before you turn it on.. kinda like not turning your SoniCare toothbrush on until it's in your mouth. In both cases if you don't, you get coated in paste.

I still have yet to polish/wax my TL.. been lazy. Trying to find a nice cool weekend that it's not A) Raining, B) Bright Sun. WE don't get many of the inbetweens. And I don't have a garage.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom

Never used any of the above, but might try based on your recommendation sometime. If they are easier to remove than Zaino, then the stuff should just fall off the car on its own with me just holding a towel and looking at it.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro

AnulTL

I use Zaino and love the stuff easy to apply and it comes off easy. When applying on the horizontal surfaces go from left to right when applying from the hood towards the trunk or vs. versa. When doing the verticle surfaces you want to go up and down. When taking the polish off you can take it off any way you want. This info was from the email i received from Sal Zaino.

On the buffer issue you dont need to worry about it. A buffer is designed to build up heat and litterly cut and melt the surface scratches off your clear coat. The reason people get in trouble is they have no clue what there doing. Since your car is brand new you dont need to be messing with a buffer unless you washed your car with steel wool or something. An orbital polisher like the porter cables are real nice and they are very hard to burn the paint with. If your using the Zaino products you wont need either. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Skip the Rotary but an Orbital like teh 7424 or 7336 (Lowes) will make a tremendous improvement in your finished product.

There is a ton of info on the web about use, pads, products to use, etc. The model from Lowes can be had for less than $100 (plus any tax) if you use the 10% movers coupon.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by tripp11

hey it was very hard to get that grl to drop her panties haha

neways, stick to the hand polish. power polisher should be done by pros
Old 07-01-2004, 07:08 AM
NYC... How Sweet It Is!!

I have to recommend going with a Porter Cable Orbital Buffer. I love that machine. I do use mine to apply zaino. But I remove by hand. Zaino isn't as hard as some people make it out to be. I've applied over 30 coats of zaino to many cars and find it so easy. Once that first coat is on, the rest of the coats with go on and come off like butter.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Porter Cable 7424 rules
I use it for polishing and applying Zaino. Delivers really thin coats.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

AnuTL-

I know it's been a while since you posted this thread, but I'm interested in seeing some pics of your car . . . I'm interested in those TSW wheels and I want to know how they look on a TL. If you don't mind, hit me with some pics at steven@skdavisgroup.com

Thanks,

Steven