Hand Wash, Machine Wash, or ONR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Wash, Machine Wash, or ONR?

Most of the time, I bring my car to a hand car wash (due to my schedule and convenience).

According to this article below though, automatic wash was proven to be better for paint in the long run than a hand wash:
http://www.hannacarwash.com/resources/handversus.pdf

I live in an apart. with no hose, and the nearest coin self wash is about 15 miles.

I read a lot of article about Optimum No Rinse Car Wash.

1. For those in SOCAL, do you know any good car wash place? I am trying to find a touchless car wash here where they only use water pressure, but have found no luck so far.

2. I am still somehow skeptical with ONR, regardless of the many good reviews. Should I be? I feel ONR is for quick and easy wash, but not meant to fully wash the car. Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
if you only knew...

I only hand wash. I either do it myself or take it to a place close to my house. Mechanical car washes can mess up wheels or scratch your paint. IMO the touchfree washes are only good if the car was clean and maybe only was rained on or something, they don't really clean well.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by handy911
Most of the time, I bring my car to a hand car wash (due to my schedule and convenience).

According to this article below though, automatic wash was proven to be better for paint in the long run than a hand wash:
http://www.hannacarwash.com/resources/handversus.pdf

I live in an apart. with no hose, and the nearest coin self wash is about 15 miles.

I read a lot of article about Optimum No Rinse Car Wash.

1. For those in SOCAL, do you know any good car wash place? I am trying to find a touchless car wash here where they only use water pressure, but have found no luck so far.

2. I am still somehow skeptical with ONR, regardless of the many good reviews. Should I be? I feel ONR is for quick and easy wash, but not meant to fully wash the car. Correct me if I am wrong

Thanks.
Ok, you are wrong. I am not sure what you are skeptical about. I am not sure what you mean by "quick and easy wash"? It takes me 2-3 hours to completely wash my car using NRWS or the normal bucket and hose method. I think the Optimum NRWS is your best bet for your situation. NRWS has its limitations if you let your car get super filthy. If you are serious about keeping your paint free of swirls and scratches then you will wash it yourself.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Racer

hei jazz, i think you are right. I am probably just a lazy ass.

but, I am giving Optimum Non Rinse some serious thoughts now.

As you mentioned in your writeup about ONR, if the car is too dusty, it's best to use the mister / sprayer first (did you purchase this from patrick btw?).

And that is exactly whats holding me up at the moment. Since I most of the time park outside, the car gets pretty dusty sometime. Even after using the sprayer like you did, is it perfectly safe to wipe the car off right away with the ONR solution + MF mitt or towel?

My second question is how does the dust or dirt react to the ONR solution as such wiping it off won't scratch or swirl the paint?

What I am thinking now is go to the coin car wash first, pay $2 for the water to get dust off the car completely, then wash with the ONR solution, and wipe with QD or spray wax.

Thanks and sorry about my long questions.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Racer

Found coin op. wash nearby..need to buy a few items

Should have googled it a long time ago..but I found a coin op car wash near buy and need to purchase a few items:

1. Since water hose is not an issue anymore, will a premium car wash product like this : http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...6688&pd=283732 be a better choice that an Optimum No Rinse?

2. Need to buy sheepskin mitts too from excel, but the web only has light / medium, which I assume not as plush as the heavy ones. Pat, u going to get some more of these soon?

3. Need to buy this too: http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...9280&pd=300168

I already have QD, Spray Wax....do I need anything else? Please recommend me for some good products...

(It looks like I am going to spend the stimulus package tax rebate way before I get it)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
hei jazz, i think you are right. I am probably just a lazy ass.

but, I am giving Optimum Non Rinse some serious thoughts now.

As you mentioned in your writeup about ONR, if the car is too dusty, it's best to use the mister / sprayer first (did you purchase this from patrick btw?).

And that is exactly whats holding me up at the moment. Since I most of the time park outside, the car gets pretty dusty sometime. Even after using the sprayer like you did, is it perfectly safe to wipe the car off right away with the ONR solution + MF mitt or towel?

My second question is how does the dust or dirt react to the ONR solution as such wiping it off won't scratch or swirl the paint?

What I am thinking now is go to the coin car wash first, pay $2 for the water to get dust off the car completely, then wash with the ONR solution, and wipe with QD or spray wax.

Thanks and sorry about my long questions.
I think using the sprayer is a must. I was suprised to find out that the prewash step using the sprayer loosened up the dust into the liquid bubbles. Since the dust was no longer on the paint it was easy to use the wet MF wash cloth to clean the car without creating swirls and scratches.

I purchsed the sprayer and NRWS as a kit from Patrick. The coin operated wash is a good place to get rid of the dust if it is real bad. Then use the NRWS solution and the QD or Spray Wax which should work just fine.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Racer

thanks..I am ready to order now and experience my first no rinse wash

Pat, I am placing the above order except for the wash mitt....do I need a special discount code here
Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
No way is an automatic wash better for your paint in the long run. I worked for the new car prep department of a Land Rover dealer for a few months last year. We had a dark blue LR3 demo that we ran through the local automatic car wash about twice a week. After two months, it had swirls and spiderwebbing out the kazoo so we gave it to a detail shop to polish up. When it came back, I barely recognized it. Before, the paint was hazy and shallow looking and afterward it had depth and shine to it. The spinning motion of the so-called "soft cotton" in the wash had actually hazed the paint horribly.

Mind you twice a week is again, a bit extreme but imagine that once a month over five years...not good.

Edit: And that so-called article was put out by a company that specializes in automatic car washes. What else would they say? They say low pressure is bad for the paint...high pressure can have the exact same effect.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 02-15-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Pat, u going to get some more of these soon?
NOTHING until April!
When the sheeskins are gone, theyre gone! (Well, till April)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

I have the med wt ones from Patrick and they're great...plus they ship with some great little candy. Yummers.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

I think the touchless automatics are safe, with a good operator.

The dealership used one on my car for years, never a complaint. Wasn't micro thin super soft honda paint though...
Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Instructor

The only hand wash I'd do is one I do myself. (or take it to a "real" detailing shop) I've had really bad luck with the 10 minute hand wash places. I cringe every time I watch them clean a car. They'll use the same mitt to wash the car without ever rinsing it. I made the mistake of taking my TSX to one a few weeks after I had done a full polish and wax. I was about ready to strangle the guy after I got my car back!

In the winter, I'll just take it to one of those pressure wash booths, and give it a good spray to get most of the crap off. Even though it's not a super clean job, it gets most of the salt and mud off. Sure it leaves a film of dirt on there, but it's not going to do too much damage to the car as the salt. I then do a hand wash when it's warm out (once every few months?)
Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Syee if you got a garage, take it to the pressure wash place, then do an ONR on it... I just did my car with it (NBP) and it cleaned it up like a charm without ANY additional scratches. Or at least I didnt think there were any additional scratches
Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Syee if you got a garage, take it to the pressure wash place, then do an ONR on it... I just did my car with it (NBP) and it cleaned it up like a charm without ANY additional scratches. Or at least I didnt think there were any additional scratches
Yup, this is exactly I am planning to do...just bought the supplies from Excel.
I finally convinced myself that ONR is supposed to have more and BETTER lubricity than regular car wash soap. But, I feel that the pre-rinse is still necessary.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Quick update on the Sheepskin W/mitts. Nothing left but Light weight!! And no more until Mid March.....
Also Yellow Supremes out of stock until late this week.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
hates the winter

Hand wash by me, or no wash at all. Even in the winter I get a few chances to wash it. ONR is really good, but if the car gets VERY dirty then you will need to find a place where you can hand wash it yourself. Don't forget to hose off the undercarrige and wheel wells.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Quick update on the Sheepskin W/mitts. Nothing left but Light weight!! And no more until Mid March.....
Also Yellow Supremes out of stock until late this week.
Exceldetail:

Good thing the sheepskin mits last two years, and I got a 4-year supply.

Had a dirty mit that was hopeless, washed in Woolite, and good as new
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Racer

is it better to use natural or synthetic sheepskin mitts?

i was looking ath this product: http://www.autogeek.net/sheepwas.html
and it costs about twice more expensive than a similar product by Mother's http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-lambswool.html

Are they not the same, lambswool and sheepskin?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Racer

I really can't wait to do my first ONR....but a couple questions here (after reading previous postings):

1. Are we not supposed to put pressure on the mitt / sponge when washing with ONR? So, should we just glide on the surface?

2. Is 2-3 gallon solution enough to wash one car?

3. When using the 2 bucket tech., do you guys replace the rinse bucket with a clean water at any point?

4. Is using too much ONR harmless, since it simply just acts as clay lubricant or QD?
-----> concern about ruining my Xzilon...(don't know if it even makes sense)

5. Last, Patrick, you'd better hurry and ship my products I really can't wait...he he he..this sunday will be perfect after all those rains they're predicting

Last edited by handy911; 02-20-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

is it better to use natural or synthetic sheepskin mitts?

i was looking ath this product: http://www.autogeek.net/sheepwas.html
and it costs about twice more expensive than a similar product by Mother's http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-lambswool.html

Are they not the same, lambswool and sheepskin?

I really can't wait to do my first ONR....but a couple questions here (after reading previous postings):

1. Are we not supposed to put pressure on the mitt / sponge when washing with ONR? So, should we just glide on the surface?

2. Is 2-3 gallon solution enough to wash one car?

3. When using the 2 bucket tech., do you guys replace the rinse bucket with a clean water at any point?

4. Is using too much ONR harmless, since it simply just acts as clay lubricant or QD?
-----> concern about ruining my Xzilon...(don't know if it even makes sense)

5. Last, Patrick, you'd better hurry and ship my products I really can't wait...he he he..this sunday will be perfect after all those rains they're predicting
Natural sheepskin/(wool) is always the best way to go vs synthetic.
Only use enough pressure to manipulate movement of sponge/sheepskin/microfiber/waffle weave.
3 gals would be better then two.
Usually a Grit Guard is beneficial when it comes to the rinse (and wash) bucket). Normally when using the 2 bucket, I wont rinse the rinse bucket.
Too much NRWS isnt going to hurt your Xzilon. You may reach a point of streaking though if the wash is too concentrated.
And Im doing my best with your order!