Hand polishing to fix clay-induced marring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Hand polishing to fix clay-induced marring?

I recently clayed my car and now have all these ghost images/scratches when the sun hits it. I just researched and it seems that it's normal to get the scratches, but that you're supposed to follow up with a light polish. Well, I didn't know that before claying, so on to the fixup stage.

I can't afford a machine, but what would be the cheapest route to getting rid of those fine scratches via hand polishing? I'm not trying to do a major polish, I just want those ugly scratches gone.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Just make sure you use a good applicator and peopper M/F towels or you will get more marring.

What color is your car? I clay a lot of cars and when propperly done I don't get marring . Most the time its from rubbing too hard and not kneeding the clay enough.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Most the time its from rubbing too hard and not kneeding the clay enough.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a Meguiars Clay kit from autozone, it came with the clay, polish and a sample of their wax.

I've gotta say, I'm pretty impressed how much crap it pulled off. Never thought just washing wouldn't be enough. I didn't get any scratches or anything though.

Hopefully you can just get that out with a nice microfiber and polish / waxing
Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Racer

The color of the car is gray. Once I started noticing them, I modified my technique and it seemed smaller motions (couple inches) didn't cause them as much as before (when I had about 1 foot motions), but they're still there.

Don't know if kneading the clay was my problem, because I have scratches on the very first section of the car I did, and the clay was fresh out the box.

Jesstzn, you've recommended Meguiars Ultimate Compound. From what little I understand about detailing, I thought a "compound" was for a severe polish/heavy swirl/scratch removal? Previous posts suggested a light polish would rid the paint from those scratches/holograms.

I'm also interested in technique for this process if anyone has hints for hand polishing. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dudeinaTL
The color of the car is gray. Once I started noticing them, I modified my technique and it seemed smaller motions (couple inches) didn't cause them as much as before (when I had about 1 foot motions), but they're still there. There
Don't know if kneading the clay was my problem, because I have scratches on the very first section of the car I did, and the clay was fresh out the box.

Jesstzn, you've recommended Meguiars Ultimate Compound. From what little I understand about detailing, I thought a "compound" was for a severe polish/heavy swirl/scratch removal? Previous posts suggested a light polish would rid the paint from those scratches/holograms.

I'm also interested in technique for this process if anyone has hints for hand polishing. Thanks.

When I clay I spray the QD liberally over say the top 1/2 of the door and I use long strokes that cover 1/2 that top 1/2. I just did an Infinity G35 today .. very dark grey ... no marring. What are you using to wipe off the QD after you clay? There is the possibility you also uncovering existing marring.

The word "compound" is grossly missused .. it can go anywhere from TW rubbing compound which is like sand paper to Optimums Compound II which is rather mild.

The reasons I suggested the UC was its not to course and its OTC.

As for hand polishing ... I guess patience is the only thing I have to offer and do small areas with a good applicator and soft M/F cloths.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 04-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Racer

Thanks for your additional input, Jesstzn. Based on your description, it appears that you perform the claying action with "large" strokes. For reference, I used "Clay Magic" which was a blue bar and a bottle of lube that I ran out of about 85% of the way. I would spray the clay, then spray & clay the paint, working my way in one direction. I then used an Autozone microfiber cloth to wipe off.

I have to ask - what is a "good" applicator? I used a cotton terry pad when I did my spray wax (shown below); would this be good enough for the Meg's UC? And am I correct that you should use circular as opposed to linear motions when hand polishing? Lastly, what is considered a soft microfiber? I hate to post such a large image, but of the 3 cloths shown below, which type would be considered soft enough for the polishing buff?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for your additional input, Jesstzn. Based on your description, it appears that you perform the claying action with "large" strokes. For reference, I used "Clay Magic" which was a blue bar and a bottle of lube that I ran out of about 85% of the way. I would spray the clay, then spray & clay the paint, working my way in one direction. I then used an Autozone microfiber cloth to wipe off.

I have to ask - what is a "good" applicator? I used a cotton terry pad when I did my spray wax (shown below); would this be good enough for the Meg's UC? And am I correct that you should use circular as opposed to linear motions when hand polishing? Lastly, what is considered a soft microfiber? I hate to post such a large image, but of the 3 cloths shown below, which type would be considered soft enough for the polishing buff?

I'm not fond of the terry applicators for wax but ok for polishing as they have more bite.

Do you have a Costco near you .. I use thier yellow MF 16 x 15 cloths.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Racer

What applicator do you recommend for wax? Do I have to rewax after I do the polish?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

What applicator do you recommend for wax? Do I have to rewax after I do the polish?

Yellow round foam ones for waxing .. and yes .. polishing will remove wax.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Racer

I just borrowed someones Costco card and grabbed a 36 pack of MF cloths! Costco is confusing to shop at.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I just borrowed someones Costco card and grabbed a 36 pack of MF cloths! Costco is confusing to shop at.
what could be soo confusing about shopping at costco...i dont get it...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Good cloths .. just cut the tags off close to the hem.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Good cloths .. just cut the tags off close to the hem.
Thanks for the tip & recommendation.

And vinnier6...it's just different than regular stores. Membership required (even just to enter), no bags, limited forms of payment, etc...But I guess the prices and the hot food negate all that.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the tip & recommendation.

And vinnier6...it's just different than regular stores. Membership required (even just to enter), no bags, limited forms of payment, etc...But I guess the prices and the hot food negate all that.
well, atleast you got the towels....did you get a hotdog or pice of pizza while you were there??
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vinnier6
well, atleast you got the towels....did you get a hotdog or pice of pizza while you were there??
Of course....for a buck-50, why not??! Their towels are definitely better than the AutoZone ones - much thicker. Only thing is I had to shake 'em out a bit prior to use (just washed my car and only had those for drying).