Got Metal ? Get Optimum Metal Polish!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Got Metal ? Get Optimum Metal Polish!

Another new product from Optimum. Optimum designed a metal polish for the motorcycle industry, and had so much success with it, it's now available here for your auto care needs! Use by hand, or machine. Simply add a small quantity to a foam applicator, gently wipe onto surface and watch it remove light oxidation. Oxidation is the single most contributing factor to unsightly metal finishes. This product quickly and safely removes it, revealing aluminum, stainless and chromes beauty!
Not heavily scented or thick with distillates or ammonia.
As easy to use as the entire Optimum car care line.

Last edited by exceldetail; 01-23-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my exhaust could use this lol
Old 01-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Mine Too!!!! Actually mine needs a little steel wool action also........baaaaad shape.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Kang Ho

nice...i was thinking about grabbing the SC Metal bottle. Which one do you preferred? There's so many brands out there, I think Optimum is good for me so far.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Dont ask! LOL, I have used more SC then Optimum, so its not fair of me to pick a winner. I think the Optimum is for metals in a little worse condition then SC metal polishes. The Optimum is very good also....
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
will this work on oxidized chrome trim? also patrick, speaking of optimum, will some Optimum compound (new and improved formula) work on hard german paint with an orange LC pad to correct defects? If so what speed on the PC?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 AM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by csmeance
will this work on oxidized chrome trim? also patrick, speaking of optimum, will some Optimum compound (new and improved formula) work on hard german paint with an orange LC pad to correct defects? If so what speed on the PC?
Your best bet would probably be a 4" orange pad on speed 6 with very slow passes and possibly several applications if you're going to be using OC.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

will this work on oxidized chrome trim? also patrick, speaking of optimum, will some Optimum compound (new and improved formula) work on hard German paint with an orange LC pad to correct defects? If so what speed on the PC?
Are you asking about chrome trimmed plastic?
Man, I dont know why, but that chrome trim plastic can be a b**** sometimes. In short, yes it will work on it. Ive seen that plastic chrome over polished before, and they actually reduced the amount of chrome remaining on it, thus never really able to bring the zing back.
I agree with Denzil about the German paint (Im guessing Audi or VW on this one). Your best bet is a smaller, more concentrated work zone & pad. But I would go at it at 4-5 for a run and guage your results before going turbo on it. The Newer compound should let you know much quicker then the earlier version of compound. Ive always got the 4oz Hyper compound as well.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Man, I dont know why, but that chrome trim plastic can be a b**** sometimes. In short, yes it will work on it. Ive seen that plastic chrome over polished before, and they actually reduced the amount of chrome remaining on it, thus never really able to bring the zing back.
I agree with Denzil about the German paint (Im guessing Audi or VW on this one). Your best bet is a smaller, more concentrated work zone & pad. But I would go at it at 4-5 for a run and guage your results before going turbo on it. The Newer compound should let you know much quicker then the earlier version of compound. Ive always got the 4oz Hyper compound as well.
its the BMW Paint and chrome trim. I'll not sure what's its made of though. I've had someone try to correct some defects on the paint (deep ones) and 10 passes of 3m extra cut compound (known as rocks in a bottle) and 2 passes of SIP, it made little difference. (Makita rotary with wool pads). I wanted to try myself to see if I can do something with the PC to help minimize them. Also is there any glaze I can throw ontop of it to make it look better?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 AM
The Detailer

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that csmeance was referring to the new OC. I'm used to the original OC and I'm not familiar with the new OC so I would go with Patrick's recommendation before mine.

its the BMW Paint and chrome trim. I'll not sure what's its made of though. I've had someone try to correct some defects on the paint (deep ones) and 10 passes of 3m extra cut compound (known as rocks in a bottle) and 2 passes of SIP, it made little difference. (Makita rotary with wool pads). I wanted to try myself to see if I can do something with the PC to help minimize them. Also is there any glaze I can throw ontop of it to make it look better?
Yeah, BMW paint is really tough to work with. I have a '89 525i that's still being worked on and even after 1500 grit wet sandpaper, there are still some deeper RIDS that just won't budge without further wet sanding. I still haven't decided if I'm going to be wet sanding any further or just leaving it as is. The car's a beater so I'll probably bust out the paint thickness gauge to find out how much paint I have left to work with.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Ah Bimmer paint!! I did an X3 from hell......once. That 3M ECC is pretty tough stuff. If that didnt do a lot via rotary, OC with a PC aint going to do anything for you.
Wet Glaze is your best friend for easy enhancement. What color Bimmer?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah Bimmer paint!! I did an X3 from hell......once. That 3M ECC is pretty tough stuff. If that didnt do a lot via rotary, OC with a PC aint going to do anything for you.
Wet Glaze is your best friend for easy enhancement. What color Bimmer?
alpine white, the guy that did the 10 passes of 3m was shocked, he does Bugatti's and Ferrari's all day and said never in 10 years of detailing has he come across this big of a mess. If I can borrow a paint meter from someone, I might go ahead and wetsand the whole damn car...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Kang Ho

Dont ask! LOL, I have used more SC then Optimum, so its not fair of me to pick a winner. I think the Optimum is for metals in a little worse condition then SC metal polishes. The Optimum is very good also....
I see. Would it make any difference if I told you I plan to use it on my exhaust? The SC still the bomb?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I would go the Optimum route.......(Im not just saying that to entice you.) I think the edge goes to Optimum though.....
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Kang Ho

I would go the Optimum route.......(Im not just saying that to entice you.) I think the edge goes to Optimum though.....
Out with the old and in with the new ehh? I'll put that to my list of items for my next purchase.