Is this a good way to wash your car in winter? (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good way to wash your car in winter? (vid)

The hose is frozen, my car is covered in road grime and salt. I've been to the high pressure self spray places but they do little. What do you guys think about using this technique? ..Or maybe spraying with ONR while in self wash bay, spray down with high pressure, then rewashing as shown in the video

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL5A29qIjnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL5A29qIjnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
yeep its fine per the vid.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Hehehe, who do you think introduced that ions ago?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
it's the only way to wash a car in the winter...IMO. I wouldn't use a sponge though, the bottle specifically says to use a microfiber towel.

One thing you'll notice when your done is that all of the dirt will be in the bottom of your bucket...it's really an amazing product...just did my two cars this morning, took about 1.5 hrs and one is a big SUV. I do the tires and the wells when I am done with all the panels. 1 oz/gallon will do an entire car.

This is the second winter I've been using it and haven't seen a single scratch.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I just did my car yesterday using ONR. My car was really dirty from the snow we got a week ago.

I do pre soak with ONR sometimes with a spritzer depending on how dirty my car got. This time around I went to one of the DIY car washes just to use the high pressure water only to rinse away all the heavy stuff. Came home and finished up with ONR.

One thing I do different from the video is use the two-bucket method so I don't wipe a panel and wring it out in my wash bucket.

This is how I used it last year - https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/my-1st-experience-optimum-nrws-709266/

Here is a very good write up from a member on ONR
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/optimum-no-rinse-wash-shine-review-pics-384012/

Last edited by MD03CL-S; 01-10-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SicK TypeS
The hose is frozen, my car is covered in road grime and salt. I've been to the high pressure self spray places but they do little. What do you guys think about using this technique? ..Or maybe spraying with ONR while in self wash bay, spray down with high pressure, then rewashing as shown in the video
Yeah, basically the same procedure. I don't like that type of sponge and the way he keeps going over the same area multiple times without rinsing. Also,
I will not use ONRWS on a filthy car. Not worth it on soft Acura paint.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Not a Registered User

Thanks!

Would you guys recommend a stronger pre-spray product for winter use?

Also, are the cheap $12-15 pump sprayers at Home Depot good enough for pre-spraying? I wouldn't mind paying more for one that can spray/emulsify better than some others.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

No, don't waste your money. I use a regular spray bottle, $0.99 at any drug/grocery store. I full a bucket with 1 gallon of water and 1 oz of ONR and out of that bucket I fill my spray bottle, very simple. The purpose of the spray bottle is purely to pre-wet the surface, not dislodge anything.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by rlerman
it's the only way to wash a car in the winter...IMO. I wouldn't use a sponge though, the bottle specifically says to use a microfiber towel.

One thing you'll notice when your done is that all of the dirt will be in the bottom of your bucket...it's really an amazing product...just did my two cars this morning, took about 1.5 hrs and one is a big SUV. I do the tires and the wells when I am done with all the panels. 1 oz/gallon will do an entire car.

This is the second winter I've been using it and haven't seen a single scratch.
Don't mind too much what the ONR bottle says... I get the same results with using a grout sponge or Zymol sponge. Also with a microfiber towel, you have to keep turning to a new face of the towel to always get a clean surface whereas with a sponge, all you have to do is wring it out in the rinse bucket (using the 2BM).

Thanks!

Would you guys recommend a stronger pre-spray product for winter use?

Also, are the cheap $12-15 pump sprayers at Home Depot good enough for pre-spraying? I wouldn't mind paying more for one that can spray/emulsify better than some others.
If you want to read more about pump sprayers, feel free to read this thread I created about them on Detailing Bliss: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...lore-3969.html
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S

This is how I used it last year - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709266

Here is a very good write up from a member on ONR
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384012
That write up Steve made is the best on the web...........That thing should be stickied (before I leave!)

For the record, I have been using an all plastic Chapin for several years with no ill affects. Identical to the ones I (Used to ) offer. (2- 1 Gals remain)
I also use a sheepskin. I just never found any comfort with the grout sponge.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm sorry but my programming on car washing screams "BAD IDEA!!!" when I watch those ONR videos. I was taught from the age of 3 to never wipe down a dry car and to this day I can't ignore it.

I'm not saying ONR is a bad product...I just can't bring myself to use it because it goes against everything I've been taught.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I'm sorry but my programming on car washing screams "BAD IDEA!!!" when I watch those ONR videos. I was taught from the age of 3 to never wipe down a dry car and to this day I can't ignore it.

I'm not saying ONR is a bad product...I just can't bring myself to use it because it goes against everything I've been taught.
It does have limitations! I was in your shoes a few years ago when it came out, actually before that when the only product choice for a No Rinse was ProtectAll's Quick Easy Wash.
Optimum NRWS is a product of the decade in my book.
The pre rinsing really adds a dimension of safety.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
The guy who designed it is locally to me (at least that is what he said). I have seen this in action and it works great. I need to get some myself now that you reminded me!

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL5A29qIjnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WL5A29qIjnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited by pimpin-tl; 01-11-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have extremely hard water at my house, so even washing in the summer is a task in which I hate. I am constantly running around the car trying to dry it before it dries and leaves water spots.

I may have to get some of this and use it even in the summer
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts
I need to invest in some ONR
Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
This is the guy I know and his video. Much better video than above.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ent=firefox-a#

Last edited by pimpin-tl; 01-11-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

where can find this product at?? is there any other products similiar to this one in the videos that is as good or better? im pretty meticulous when its keeping my car clean and i dread the hose method especially in the winter.thanks guys
Old 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

and i take it its safe on our rims/wheels to? how bout chrome or polished wheels??
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I was the same way...but this stuff really does work. The trick is to be gentle, you just need to wipe the car, not scrub, and you have to go in single direction (up/down or side/side), no circles. My car looks as good as it does when I wash it during the summer, if not better!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

I have used it a bunch .. mostly at car shows when we had to drive in the rain.. even used it on my daughters Ferarri ... works flawless ... I have the Ferarri polished out swirl free and it has very soft paint .. no issues at all.