Fuzz with new Microfiber WW

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuzz with new Microfiber WW

Hi everyone,

I just got two Sonus WW Microfiber towels in the mail (got them Monday and have been just WAITING to wash my car). So tonight I had a chance, but it ended up getting dark, so I was drying in the dark. Anyway, once I pulled the car into the garage under the light, I noticed all this fuzz, especially around black trim (like by the sunroof) and on parts of the actual body.

Do I need to wash them first or something? Anyway to prevent this? From the reading I did on here, I decided to switch from a chamois / absorber to WW Microfiber for drying...but I'm kinda dissapointed

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
WW actually have a slight break in period. You will find them softer and more absorbant after a wash or two.
Wash in hot water, no softener (softener is actually a water repellant), then dry low/medium heat or hang. They actually wick (absorb) a little better if theyre a little damp!
Toss the chamois and Absorber! (Or get a Monterey WW)
Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Always wash first .. I do mine in Dawn and after a few washes add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Also when drying dry in straight lines and a slow motion .. they work better that way.

I use 2 to dry ... the first I fold in half and pull it over the car doing a preliminary drying picking up 90% of the water .. then I take the second one and fold it in 1/4 and final dry the windows first .. then hood/roof/trunk/doors and finally the bumpers. Total time about 3 minutes. Then I use a separate old M/F drying towel for the door, trunk edges and under the hood .. and another dedicated old one for the wheels.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by exceldetail
WW actually have a slight break in period. You will find them softer and more absorbant after a wash or two.
Wash in hot water, no softener (softener is actually a water repellant), then dry low/medium heat or hang. They actually wick (absorb) a little better if theyre a little damp!
Toss the chamois and Absorber! (Or get a Monterey WW).
Thanks for the reassurance. After reading this forum (and buying a $20 chamois a few days earlier) I decided to stop using the chamois and absorber. I was just a bit dissapointed today, but I'm glad to hear this - I'll stick with it

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Always wash first .. I do mine in Dawn and after a few washes add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Also when drying dry in straight lines and a slow motion .. they work better that way.

I use 2 to dry ... the first I fold in half and pull it over the car doing a preliminary drying picking up 90% of the water .. then I take the second one and fold it in 1/4 and final dry the windows first .. then hood/roof/trunk/doors and finally the bumpers. Total time about 3 minutes. Then I use a separate old M/F drying towel for the door, trunk edges and under the hood .. and another dedicated old one for the wheels.
Sounds good - I use a very simliar method. I picked up a 25 pack of maybe 15" x 12" microfiber cloths from Sam's Club. I use a new one each time for the wheels first, then I use a new one for the door jams / trunk. Then, I throw them in a plastic holder until I'm almost full and then I plan to wash them. I've still got about 18 clean ones...so I'm gonna wash once I get down to about 5 or so.

Thanks for the tips guys - they're both helpful!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i love my absorber......i'll never get rid of it damnit!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Lembo! We have to convert you!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
i love my absorber......i'll never get rid of it damnit!!!

LOL

I' have an absorber, used it once and then stored it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Lembo! We have to convert you!
never! i've used an absorber for over 8 years......love it!!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
never! i've used an absorber for over 8 years......love it!!

Are there any 12 step programs for auto detailers?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor

2 steps......A Bic lighter and bucket of water........
Im kidding Lembo. Use it if you like it. Truth be told, I used one about 10 years ago. It turned moldy/mildew and I never looked back......I could never get use to it not sliding across the surface.