Four Star UPP advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Four Star UPP advice

I've recently fallen in love with Four Star UPP after many recommendations. The shine and slickness is quite impressive! However, I'm looking for some advise from others that use UPP. For one, I tend to get white residue on the seams of my clear bra - it shows up well on my black paint. I can't see it much when I apply it as it shows up after it dries and I wipe it off. I really don't want to have to tape wherever my clear bra ends. I realize I'm probably putting it on too thick but the consistency of my UPP is kind of thick. How do you guys get such a thin layer? What kind of applicator are you using? Although I prefer the look and feel of UPP over Zaino, I never had this white residue problem on the clear bra with Zaino.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
A dab the size of a pencil eraser will do 1/3 the hood once the pad is saturated.

When applying along the clear bra apply it pareallel to the edge and very thin. Do that area at the tail end of the last third of the hood. Do the hood as the last panel etc.

Its harder to apply very thin than it is to gob it on thick but a lot less work to remove if applied thin and there is less chance of piles of residue around trim and letters etc.

For now run your fingernail or a round toothpick down the edge of the bra to remove the UPP. If you have it in the clear bra glue then thats another issue. I have used rubbing alcohol on a fine cloth to get it out. Just don't go nutz and unglue the edge of the bra.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Dales recommendation. Or tape it. Its tough getting the best of both worlds. What I normally do is just avoid that area for about 1/4 in. Then when wiping off the UPP, the oils in the towel will cover the avoided area. So there is literally a " non applied" application of UPP.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the one thing i have noticed about upp is, the residue that you dont get removed is a seriouse bitch to get off after a few washes....

i would tape the edges off, just tape as little as you can get away with....i would just overlap like a milimeter or soo....
Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for all the tips! As for the residue already there on the edge of my clear bra...how to get it out now that it's there? I can get out a lot of it with a fingernail but it makes me cringe knowing that I'm probably putting a scratch on the paint as I do this not to mention it's tedious at best. Is there any kind of liquid (cleaner? alcohol?) that I could with say a toothbrush that would take it out without harming the paint or clear bra?

Also, what kind of applicator do you recommend for UPP? I've been using the round foam applicator. Anything better out there?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza17
Thanks for all the tips! As for the residue already there on the edge of my clear bra...how to get it out now that it's there? I can get out a lot of it with a fingernail but it makes me cringe knowing that I'm probably putting a scratch on the paint as I do this not to mention it's tedious at best. Is there any kind of liquid (cleaner? alcohol?) that I could with say a toothbrush that would take it out without harming the paint or clear bra?

Also, what kind of applicator do you recommend for UPP? I've been using the round foam applicator. Anything better out there?
See post #2 above

run your fingernail or a round toothpick down the edge of the bra to remove the UPP. If you have it in the clear bra glue then thats another issue. I have used rubbing alcohol on a fine cloth to get it out. Just don't go nutz and unglue the edge of the bra.
Fingernail run gently down the edge isn't going to scratch nor is the toothpick.
There is no fast easy way when dealing with the edge of the clear bra.

Round yellow foam ones. and wash them right after if you plan on using them again.