Flex XC 3401 VRG who has one ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex XC 3401 VRG who has one ?

today i went by a local detail store to buy gritguard and couple of buckets for tomorrow job. so i notice the Flex XC 3401 VRG was going on sale for like $279 + free flex bag ($40)+ couple of 6inch pads. and that seem like a bargin,
what do you guys think? do any of guys have one and can you guys share some imput on it.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 AM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't personally own a Flex myself but from what I've read many users have enjoyed their Flex. It's a much more powerful machine than the PC or UDM and can take on some pretty tough paint correction jobs.

So what is the name of this local detail store?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I just wish our PC backing plates would fit it .... if they did I'd have had one long ago.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Racer

I have one and highly recommend it. Great machine for Pro's and beginners alike. Buy it! you will not be disappointed. If you do get one make sure you really tighten down the backing plate before your first use. Also buy some wool pads as well as the foam.
Actually I'll be posting a full correction detail on an Audi A4 in the next day or so using my Flex. keep an eye out for it.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have one and it is a great machine. This machine is a significant upgrade from a UDM while maintaining a high level of safety. I still use my UDM or PC for spot details using 4" pads. The backing plate is unique to this machine and can not be used with other backing plates.

To reiterate what Conan has stated earlier, do the following before using this machine for the first time.
  • Take off the backing plate using the supplied hex wrench
  • Ensure that the white felt ring is lubricated. If not, then purchase some tool oil from Home Depot and lay down a thin bead of oil around the entire felt ring. Some people have had the plastic backing plate melt onto the felt ring due to a lack of lubrication. I check the felt ring after every couple of details only as a precautionary measure. It is easy to turn the machine over and check for oil residue on the backing plate. Oil residue on the backing plate is a sign that the felt ring is properly lubricated.
  • Secure the backing plate and note that the backing plate fits into an oval groove where the hex bolt is screwed in.
  • Ensure that the securing bolt is tight and there is no play where the bolt and backing plate connects.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
one of the other detail forums that i read, the people there act like you cant detail a car with out the flex and if your using the udm/pc your not able to get a correction done correctly....they just push it soo hard....

i am sure its a great machine and all, but at 100 bucks more you can almost get two udm or pc's for the price of one....dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind having one, but for someone who is doing their own car and maybe helping out a friend or two i think the udm is the better choice....business i would probably choose the flex as you can get the job done quicker with fewer correction passes....i would guess anyway....
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Racer

Here is my recommendation... if you do not have a machine buffer and want something to use on your own car I would recommend a PC. There are so many accesories for it. You can get small backing plates and pads for those small tight areas that right now is not possible with the FLex. I have a UDM which is very similiar to the PC, I have the FLex and I have a Rotary. I like my Flex the best and pretty much use all 3 tools on almost all details now. The nice thing about a PC/UDM is there will always be a place for it in your detailing arsenal. If money is not a big deal get the Flex.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
I have one and it is a great machine. This machine is a significant upgrade from a UDM while maintaining a high level of safety. I still use my UDM or PC for spot details using 4" pads. The backing plate is unique to this machine and can not be used with other backing plates.

To reiterate what Conan has stated earlier, do the following before using this machine for the first time.
  • Take off the backing plate using the supplied hex wrench
  • Ensure that the white felt ring is lubricated. If not, then purchase some tool oil from Home Depot and lay down a thin bead of oil around the entire felt ring. Some people have had the plastic backing plate melt onto the felt ring due to a lack of lubrication. I check the felt ring after every couple of details only as a precautionary measure. It is easy to turn the machine over and check for oil residue on the backing plate. Oil residue on the backing plate is a sign that the felt ring is properly lubricated.
  • Secure the backing plate and note that the backing plate fits into an oval groove where the hex bolt is screwed in.
  • Ensure that the securing bolt is tight and there is no play where the bolt and backing plate connects.
I just bought a Flex and those tips really help as I have been hearing about people with melting issues.

I think I'm gonna also order the Edge adapter so I can get more then just 6inch pads on it.

Man, right now over here in Toronto we are getting punished with like 25cm of snow and supposedly more to come on Monday. I am dying to use this thing I even just turn it on and watch it spin

Mostly what I want to use it for is finishing on some of Honda/Acura more softer paint like the S2000 cause sometimes I am having a hard time finishing down clean with the rotary.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by Wes_R
I just bought a Flex and those tips really help as I have been hearing about people with melting issues.

I think I'm gonna also order the Edge adapter so I can get more then just 6inch pads on it.

Man, right now over here in Toronto we are getting punished with like 25cm of snow and supposedly more to come on Monday. I am dying to use this thing I even just turn it on and watch it spin

Mostly what I want to use it for is finishing on some of Honda/Acura more softer paint like the S2000 cause sometimes I am having a hard time finishing down clean with the rotary.
Sounds like someone has the "....itis"........."Detailitis"

This machine is fun to use!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by bAek-sU
today i went by a local detail store to buy gritguard and couple of buckets for tomorrow job. so i notice the Flex XC 3401 VRG was going on sale for like $279 + free flex bag ($40)+ couple of 6inch pads. and that seem like a bargin,
what do you guys think? do any of guys have one and can you guys share some imput on it.
Sounds like a good deal to me. Mine cost $279 with no pads or bag.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:32 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

Originally Posted by conan777
I have one and highly recommend it. Great machine for Pro's and beginners alike. Buy it! you will not be disappointed. If you do get one make sure you really tighten down the backing plate before your first use. Also buy some wool pads as well as the foam.
Actually I'll be posting a full correction detail on an Audi A4 in the next day or so using my Flex. keep an eye out for it.
i took you advice and went gong ho and brought one

im very impress how the flex feels in your hand. tight, well balance, powerful but gentle with your hands (udm kinda makes my hand numb if used for long period of time). I cant wait to test this baby out on black car. hopfully on porsche gt2

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Take off the backing plate using the supplied hex wrench
Ensure that the white felt ring is lubricated. If not, then purchase some tool oil from Home Depot and lay down a thin bead of oil around the entire felt ring. Some people have had the plastic backing plate melt onto the felt ring due to a lack of lubrication. I check the felt ring after every couple of details only as a precautionary measure. It is easy to turn the machine over and check for oil residue on the backing plate. Oil residue on the backing plate is a sign that the felt ring is properly lubricated.
Secure the backing plate and note that the backing plate fits into an oval groove where the hex bolt is screwed in.
Ensure that the securing bolt is tight and there is no play where the bolt and backing plate connects.
thx for the input, i just spray some tri-flow on white ring, and made sure everything was tight.

Originally Posted by conan777
Here is my recommendation... if you do not have a machine buffer and want something to use on your own car I would recommend a PC. There are so many accesories for it. You can get small backing plates and pads for those small tight areas that right now is not possible with the FLex. I have a UDM which is very similiar to the PC, I have the FLex and I have a Rotary. I like my Flex the best and pretty much use all 3 tools on almost all details now. The nice thing about a PC/UDM is there will always be a place for it in your detailing arsenal. If money is not a big deal get the Flex
looking to buy some 3.5 backing plates, and thx for recommendation

couple of questions
which pad do you guys recommend Meguiars or LC ccs?

did edge make the special backing plate for the flex yet?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Racer

Congrats on your purchase! Very good choice! The funny thing is since I bought a Rotary I have an even greater appreciation for my FLEX. No Hologramming at all, ever! Its a great machine!

I like the LC pads and the Purple foamed wool pads are great also!!