Flex XC 3401 VRG

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Flex XC 3401 VRG

So I finally purchased a DA and ended up getting a Flex XC.

Now I need some recommendations for pad and polish combinations.

I am fairly new to polishing by the way.

I would like a setup using the fewest amount of steps possible. I'm looking at just these three brands: Menzerna, Meguiars, or Optimum. I have a basic understanding of stated brands, but no real hands experience.

I also know I'll need these to begin with:an orange, a white, and a black pad. How many of each would you recommend for a 2010 CBP and 2004 NBP TSX? Also any other recommendations as far as pads go?

The 2010 has some minor scratches from when I cleared off the snow from the car during the winter and the brush ended up causing minor scratches.

The 2004 on the other hand needs some moderate work as it seems that the previous owner never hand washed the car, instead opting to take it to the car wash. So the car has some swirls and scratches.

I know every car is different and it depends on the technique as far as getting the car looking great and it might take me several passes.

Thanks in advance for helpful inputs.

In summary:
(1) Type of pad and number of each that I'll need for an entire car.
(2) Best polish/pad combo for Flex XC requiring least amount of steps and preferably not having to wash car afterwards to remove dust
(3) Also best wax for black cars

Again thank you.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratsx2010
In summary:
(1) Type of pad and number of each that I'll need for an entire car. 2 orange 3 white .. no black

(2) Best polish/pad combo for Flex XC requiring least amount of steps and preferably not having to wash car afterwards to remove dust Opt Polish/Compound on above pads .. you need to experiment to see what will do the job. Least aggressive first.

(3) Also best wax for black cars Sealant of choise .. I use Duragloss #105 or Megs #21 .. and on mine ..4* UPP

Again thank you.

See bold
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
See bold
My choices as well....
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the input Jesstzn and exceldetail.

So using white pads for sealants will be fine?

Haha, I was about to buy 14 pads due to reading somewhere that it was recommended at least 5 orange pads due to having to replace the pads after each section and they recommended splitting the car into 5 sections. I guess they were wrong.

So 5 pads all together (2 orange and 3 white) is what I need, huh?! That's cool as it saves me some money for now!!!

What's 4*UPP by the way?

Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Instructor

So by Polish do you mean Polish II or the Finishing Polish? And I take it you mean Compound II?

Where do I buy these from?

I was looking at Detailed Image and they don't have the OPT Polish nor OPT Polish II but they do have the OPT Finish polish which is why I am confused as to which polish you were talking about.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor

So by Polish do you mean Polish II or the Finishing Polish? And I take it you mean Compound II?

Where do I buy these from?

I was looking at Detailed Image and they don't have the OPT Polish nor OPT Polish II but they do have the OPT Finish polish which is why I am confused as to which polish you were talking about.
We're slowly phasing out the Optimum polishes from our site which is why we no longer offer the Polish II. We feel there are better options out there that will yield better results.

Since you have the Flex you have the power to break down non-diminishing abrasives more effectively than a PC. Consider going with the Menzerna line of polishes. A great mid-cut polish that still finishes excellent (IMO better than any OPT polish) is Menzerna Power Finish. If you really wanted to amp up the gloss and depth, follow up with Menzerna PO85RD, their finest polish. These polishes are the longer working ones of the Menzerna group and if used properly, minimal dusting occurs.

I'd recommend using the green pads for the Power Finish and black pads for the PO85RD. I'd recommend at least 3 pads of each color when it comes to quantity of pads.

If you want a sealant, consider Blackfire Wet Diamond, which looks like a wax but has the durability of a sealant. Or bang for the buck, a great wax for dark colored vehicles is Poorboy's Natty's Blue.

Keep us posted on what you end up with and how everything turns out for you!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Where do I buy these from? westcoastdetail.com

See bold above .. I like the Optimum line because its forgiving and the longer working times and some of the others dust so bad.

4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection also available at www.westcoastdetail.com
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Note: A LC white pad can leave micro-marring on soft NBP paint.

I like the idea of using a LC green pad with either Menz Power Finish or Menz PO106FA and a LC black pad with Menz P085RD.

You may need something more aggressive the first time depending how rough your paint is. Post some pics of your paint using a flash or good xenon/halogen light. If you have heavy swirls and scratches the combos listed above may not be aggressive enough even with soft NBP paint.

As far as number of pads, it depends if you use 5.5" or 6.5" pads. I have been using 5.5" pads lately which will require using more pads. The 5.5" pads are also not as thick so caution is needed in tight curvy areas due to the edge of the backing plate on the Flex. The 6.5" pads are thicker and wider than the backing plate on the Flex but are not as versatile as the 5.5" pads in areas such as the paint strip on the doors above the door handles.

Finally, Menz polishes tend to dust when the pad is not in complete contact with the paint. This is why I like to use the 5.5" pads since the pad is almost always in complete contact with the paint for little or no dusting.

I would get 5-6 5.5" pads or 3-4 6.5" pads for each color. I would start with the 6.5" pads if you are a beginner until you get a good feel for the Flex.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Instructor

@Jesstzn. I tried going to the link, but didn't find a way to get information on the product you stated. I take it I'll have to either call or email them?

@Detailed Image. So I ended up buying 3 orange, 3 white, and 1 black pad yesterday afternoon. This was all before you posted your advice. Would the orange pads work instead of the green pads or should I start with green pads and go orange if I need a more agressive approach? What's your opinion on using the white pads with the Flex on the black Acura paint? I have been using Collinite No.476s for my wax. Yay or nay?

@SweetJazz. Are those the two color pads you would recommend to begin with then? So are you suggesting to use another pad, like the orange, for a more aggressive approach than the earlier stated combos (green/Power Finish;PO85RD/black)?

Thanks guys for the input. It's helping me a lot. I hope this also helps others that have decided to go with the Flex XC instead of the PC 7224XP. I know there are more threads on the for the PC and hope to get more for the Flex.

Also, what do you guys think, or anyone else, about using Honda Cleaners for the vehicle as opposed to buying items from online vendors or physical stores like AutoZone? You think the Honda products are just as good? The Honda products I have in mind are: Honda Cleaner and Polish, Honda WheelBrite, Honda Carpet Cleaner, Honda Leather Cleaner.

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Former Sponsor

@Detailed Image. So I ended up buying 3 orange, 3 white, and 1 black pad yesterday afternoon. This was all before you posted your advice. Would the orange pads work instead of the green pads or should I start with green pads and go orange if I need a more agressive approach? What's your opinion on using the white pads with the Flex on the black Acura paint? I have been using Collinite No.476s for my wax. Yay or nay?

Thanks guys for the input. It's helping me a lot. I hope this also helps others that have decided to go with the Flex XC instead of the PC 7424XP. I know there are more threads on the for the PC and hope to get more for the Flex.

Also, what do you guys think, or anyone else, about using Honda Cleaners for the vehicle as opposed to buying items from online vendors or physical stores like AutoZone? You think the Honda products are just as good? The Honda products I have in mind are: Honda Cleaner and Polish, Honda WheelBrite, Honda Carpet Cleaner, Honda Leather Cleaner.

Thanks again.
In an ideal world, you always want to start with the least aggressive approach to get the job done. That being said, I realize it's not always economical to have multiple pads of every level of aggressiveness. If you plan on picking up more pads, then yes, the green pads would be where I'd recommend starting and move up to the orange pads as needed. Beyond that, I like the Cyan Hydrotech pads over the yellow cutting pads, but with soft paint, you shouldn't need much more than orange pads unless there are severe defects in the paint.

If you finish soft paint with a white pad, there may still be some marring and hologramming. It really depends though, but it's always safer to finish down with a black pad to get the most out of it.

Collinite is a good wax, I plan on adding it to our product offerings sometime this year. Very durable compared to other waxes out there.

I haven't used any of the Honda cleaning products, but there are a couple of them I've heard decent things about.

Be sure to keep us posted on how you make out with the Flex!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Suzuka Master

@Jesstzn. I tried going to the link, but didn't find a way to get information on the product you stated. I take it I'll have to either call or email them?

Sorry .. posted an incomplete link ... www.westcoastdetailsupply.com
Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by DetailedImage
In an ideal world, you always want to start with the least aggressive approach to get the job done. That being said, I realize it's not always economical to have multiple pads of every level of aggressiveness. If you plan on picking up more pads, then yes, the green pads would be where I'd recommend starting and move up to the orange pads as needed. Beyond that, I like the Cyan Hydrotech pads over the yellow cutting pads, but with soft paint, you shouldn't need much more than orange pads unless there are severe defects in the paint.
I noticed that there are different types of pads in regards to material, ie. Hydrotech vs. standard pad. Is there a certain type that go well with the Flex on the soft Honda paint?

If you finish soft paint with a white pad, there may still be some marring and hologramming. It really depends though, but it's always safer to finish down with a black pad to get the most out of it. How about using a blue pad afterwards? Is that necessary when applying a wax like Collinite or sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond?

Collinite is a good wax, I plan on adding it to our product offerings sometime this year. Very durable compared to other waxes out there.
Yes, I like how it leaves the car fairly smooth. After washing my car and drying it, I'd apply the Collinite and liked the results. This was all before I got into doing things right of course! I'm slowly building my arsenal of cleaning products.

Be sure to keep us posted on how you make out with the Flex!
I will. First I have to get all my products in, haha. I'll probably have everything in this week so I'll be able to start next week on some detailing. I'll post some pics this week of some before pics.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Sorry .. posted an incomplete link ... www.westcoastdetailsupply.com

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

You'll come to find out that there are so many different combinations of products out there that will make your head spin. Sometimes it just boils down to preference and what is proven for a certain type of paint.

The Hydrotech pads take a little getting used to if you're used to the traditional foam pads. They also don't seem to last as long, but from my experience with them they offer slightly more bite but finish down even better than traditional foam.

In your case with the Flex and Power Finish / PO85RD you'd use the cyan and tangerine pads respectively. I think you'll be perfectly fine with the green / black combo, but if you add more pads to your arsenal down the road, pick up some cyan to give you an option with more bite than the green pads.

I typically only use blue pads to apply a sealant or wax, if I'm finishing with a polish, I'll typically use a black pad. There won't be any difference if you are done polishing and opt to apply the sealant or wax by hand or with the buffer and a blue pad, at that point it really just boils down to preference.

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

@SweetJazz. Are those the two color pads you would recommend to begin with then? So are you suggesting to use another pad, like the orange, for a more aggressive approach than the earlier stated combos (green/Power Finish;PO85RD/black)?
The green and black pad combo is a great start. Like DetailedImage stated, you may have to end up using an orange pad if your defects are bad enough. Do not expect to get your car perfect the first time. Practice makes perfect. I would start with the first combo. If you need something more aggressive then get some white or orange pads for your next detail.