Ebony Leather problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebony Leather problem...

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 CGP TSX with Navi. Anyway's, I have about 3k on the car, and I condition my ebony leather interior about once a week with Zaino Z-10. I am sure this may be over board, but I want to keep it looking in tip top condition. Today I noticed scuff type of marks on my driver's side seat. I took some Z-10 and conditioned them and they disappeared. My question is, what would be causing this? I am not sure if some rain got on the seat and maybe it caused extra friction between the seat and my jeans? I guess my main concern is am I over conditioning my leather? I am sure that the Zaino won't hurt the leather, but I'm not sure if the towel rubbing on the seat will cause the protective coating that comes on the leather to come off.. How often do you all conditon ur leather? Does anyone have any pics of their leather with like 40k miles on it? I'm just curious how well this stuff holds up.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics.............
Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Pro

I don't have any because I applied some leather conditioner, and they went away. I am not sure if rain got on the seat or what... I guess my main concern is, if I apply leather conditioner often, am I going to damage my leather?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:47 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1.Conditioning products should be applied to a warm surface to help the oils penetrate the coating (warm with the suns heat or a hairdryer) allow sufficient time (preferably overnight) for the oils to permeate the coating and reach the leather underneath.

2.It is possible to over-condition leather once the hide has absorbed the product it will saturate the foam and the hides stitching and may cause it to fray /disintegrate or over-clean your leather as this may lead to premature cracking and discoloration. Most leathers are treated at the tannery with a protective coating to help protect against staining. Excessive cleaning and conditioning can remove some of the protective properties. Carry a small spray bottle of water and a clean micro fibre cloth so if you ever spill something onto your leather, spray the affected area and wipe it as soon as possible, you should then treat the affected area with leather conditioner.

3.Conditioning oils will penetrate the fibres more efficiently if they are warmed first; place the plastic container in a microwave before using. For best results warm the leather also before application (vehicle heating system, hairdryer, or the suns heat Allow sufficient permeation time (4-6 hours) or overnight if possible, especially with coated or spray-on dye leathers.)

Scheduled Maintenance: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

See also- https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/leather-care-360062/
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I told you these guys were good.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

TSX is plastic coated pork skin.

Scuff marks must be little scratches in the plastic coating.

You condition and the gloss smooths out the little scratches.

Basically everything causes this, maybe wear clean microfiber pants? You are prolly flying out of the seat as it is already

See a lot of blue ruboff from blue jeans onto the tan and grey leathers.

I'm sure you are doing a very nice job, expect some character marks and enjoy, looks less like plork
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 5o9

Basically everything causes this, maybe wear clean microfiber pants? You are prolly flying out of the seat as it is already

I'm sure you are doing a very nice job, expect some character marks and enjoy, looks less like plork
That's weird about it scratching. I am very careful when I get in and out of the car. Are the TL's seat much higher quality? 509, have you had any problems with the leather scratching?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Just little scuffs, I think blue jeans alone are enough to do it. Shoes definately leave a mark. The conditioner or whatever hides it. No doubt me, car, and seat get sandy, outdoors is just a dirty place.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5o9

LMFAO..............Buta great reply.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Pro

Excel Detail,

If I were to apply Zaino Z-10 conditoner with a green 100% towel, would this cause dye to transfer to the leather? I'm thinking that the Z-9 cleaner would cause this, but not sure about the Z-10.. I have a bunch of light green hand towels that I might as well make some use out of.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by exceldetail
LMFAO..............Buta great reply.
Plastic coated pork skin = plork

At some not distant past, the US govt changed the definition of leather to include porkskin, and you all know what your sneaks look like now. Previously the definition of leather was based on cow.

Where do all our cow skins go?

Horse skin is best. There may be exotic leathers that are better. Never had alligator or ostridge, that is what GF are for.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Excel Detail,

If I were to apply Zaino Z-10 conditoner with a green 100% towel, would this cause dye to transfer to the leather? I'm thinking that the Z-9 cleaner would cause this, but not sure about the Z-10.. I have a bunch of light green hand towels that I might as well make some use out of.
Make sure you have previously broken in the towels with a hot wash . If there is any loose dyes floating around, the wash should have removed them. HOWEVER, if your concened about it, take some of your product and test it elsewhere!!!