Dye transfer from pants

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dye transfer from pants

Hey guys,

I know that the dyes from jeans often stain light colored leather if they're not washed prior to wearing them. However, I was just wondering if this same thing applies to dress pants? I just recently bought a Brooks Brothers suit, and I have yet to wash it. Will this cause dye transfer?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is the so prominent with Acuras is what Im wondering!
Most clothing fabrics (Unless stated pre-washed) have the possibility of leaving manufacturing dyes on other articles. If your at all worried, simply throw a t-shirt and towel over the seats.....
Old 05-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Pro

Thanks Patrick! I will just make sure that I take my TSX with ebony interior. Since my suit is Navy Blue, I wouldn't notice any dye transfer on ebony anyway's (or so I wouldn't think). I was thinking about taking the 07 Santa Fe with light interior, that's why I was inquiring.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
J how many rides do you have!?!?!?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Pro

Just two
Old 05-17-2008, 06:14 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Leather Upholstery Protection –

Leather Master's Protection Cream contains no petroleum distillate solvents. It’s formulated with natural oils, acrylic resins, and polymers protect the surface from stains and keep the hide supple, for all types of leather, except Suede and Nubuck; this unique product protects leather from shrinking, cracking, water, alcohol and the adverse effects of oil. Regular application of this product makes it easier to clean new stains.

Protection is an essential element in leather care; inhibiting abrasive dirt / grit, brought in from the outside via the A/C system and stains from being absorbed. Its primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any dye transfer or soils that may settle on it, making maintenance cleaning easier, and also providing protection from ultra violet radiation (UVR) especially a Roadster’s upholstery

Protection should be applied the first day and thereafter 2 - 4 times per year (dependent upon local climate). It makes it easier to clean and remove any accidental spills, ink marks, dye transfer etc. Being water-based it helps hydration by balancing the necessary moisture level of all leather types (except Nubuck). Although it’s primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it.

Do not use a weather / water proofing product, as this will not allow a water-based product to permeate.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'd just wash it

Even after a couple washes sometimes jeans still leave dye transfer on white shoes... it may even leave it on your seats, you just might not notice.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hey guys,

I know that the dyes from jeans often stain light colored leather if they're not washed prior to wearing them. However, I was just wondering if this same thing applies to dress pants? I just recently bought a Brooks Brothers suit, and I have yet to wash it. Will this cause dye transfer?

Thanks,

Jeff
Kind of off the topic, but wouldn't you dry clean dress pants and Brooks Brother's suits?

If so, then no worry about transfer.

Sorry
Old 05-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pmptx
Kind of off the topic, but wouldn't you dry clean dress pants and Brooks Brother's suits?

If so, then no worry about transfer.

Sorry
Yes, they do need to be dry cleaned only. However, I wasn't sure if they would transfer dye onto the leather if they were worn PRIOR to dry cleaning them for the first time?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:23 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Dye transfer- is especially a problem with light coloured leather upholstery. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by unstable dark dye (activated by body heat) transferring from clothing, belts, etc.

Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc. To remove it usually requires a few light, repeated applications

See also LM Leather protection products