dusting car??? - black car yikes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dusting car??? - black car yikes!

okay, i have a NBP acura cl and it's really annoying that I can wash this baby carefully and find it 2 days later dirty as fawk... and then after a week rolls by, you can see the dust clearly along with all the yellow crap on my car...

i like giving it a bath, but every week is too much for me. every 2-3 weeks is fine though. so i gotta find a solution guys...

would a duster scratch the paint? what should i look for?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have several options
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawhyen51, Is CCD really safe for the paint? I mean I'm thinking of buying one and I'd really hate to go through the process of removing swirls all over again if it made one.
Have you used one yourself???
Old 05-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd definitely stay away from the CCD, especially for a black car. The others are probably ok. If you want to keep it really clean, you should probably wipe it down every day or every other day using one of the waterless carwash sprays or spray wax. There are all sorts of products out there to help you keep it clean between washes.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

so, It'll most likely leave swirl marks, huh?
can u recommend some of the waterless carwash products??
thanks...
Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yount79
so, It'll most likely leave swirl marks, huh?
thanks...
If you keep a good coat of wax on her, you won't notice any swirl marks. With my previous black vehicle, I would use the CCD and noticed no swirls. I would wax every 2 months, use the CCD twice a week, and use a product like a quick detail every other week.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Hawhyen51, Is CCD really safe for the paint? I mean I'm thinking of buying one and I'd really hate to go through the process of removing swirls all over again if it made one.
I've used it, but not on dark colors and really simplifies upkeep. That said, I think it's paint safe when used properly and the vehicle is already protected with a coat of wax.
thanks...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Wow, you ARE the man, Hawhyen51!!!

I'll try CCD and NRWS then.

thanks!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Mr. Wolf

My Black Camaro procedure:

Uncover
California duster
PolySpray wax/sealer (<--best shit ever, only spray wax that contains the same resins as my paint sealant)

for a few hours

return home
California duster
Remove any bugs and PolySpray wax/sealer if needed
Put dust cover back on

I apply a paint sealant once a year and throw on a coat of gold class after almost every wash and before every car show.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Is the PolySpray you're referring to made by Hi-Temp?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Mr. Wolf

No, not hi-temp, its actually a product i carry at my detail shop. It is used like a spray wax or quick detailer and gives the same deep gloss shine of a caranuba, but it contains some of the same resins that can be found in my ultimate paint sealant for long lasting durability. There is no ammonia or alchohol in this product so it will NOT strip off existing wax or sealant like some other "quick detailers" on the market.

It also contains some mild cleaners and oils which help to make the paint really pop. It will add life to your paint sealant or wax with a simple monthly once over. Just spray it on, work it in a little with a microfiber, flip the mf over and buff it off. A whole car can be done in about 8-10 minutes.

If anyone wants to give it a try send me a pm.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you guys spray the whole car with spray waxy or quick detailer? or just the spots where there are imperfections (bug shit)?

would a duster (such as california duster) cause any marring or scratches (small hard particles on the car being dragged around).
Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Instructor

The trick with a CCD is to keep it up off of the surface high enough that only the the ends of the threads are touching the car. When I am talking about a CCD for the exterior, I am talking one of the big ones with like a 30" reach handle, the small CCD is good for the interior, but the big one has nice long threads that actually hang down enough that you don't have to worry about putting enough pressure (or ANY pressure for that matter) to cause micro-scratches. You don't need any pressure at all on it to get the dust lifted. If you go to any custom car show, you will see guys all over the place using a CCD to dust thier cars off, and some of them probably have more in just the paint job than the value of most of our cars. This last weekend, I was detailing a VERY dark green car and just before applying the sealant, I needed to remove some of the polishing dust and pollen that had fallen on the car. I used the CCD as I have described, didn't get any marks and completely removed the dust. Being spring time here in Colorado, and that there are a couple of big pines nearby, right now we have a MAJOR pollen issue, the cars can look like they are growing green fuzz in just a few minutes after a complete wash and the CCD cleans them up in a heartbeat. If you use the CCD correctly, you probably have less chance of putting swirl marks on the car than you would if you washed and dried it.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hardrock32tls
The trick with a CCD is to keep it up off of the surface high enough that only the the ends of the threads are touching the car. When I am talking about a CCD for the exterior, I am talking one of the big ones with like a 30" reach handle, the small CCD is good for the interior, but the big one has nice long threads that actually hang down enough that you don't have to worry about putting enough pressure (or ANY pressure for that matter) to cause micro-scratches. You don't need any pressure at all on it to get the dust lifted. If you go to any custom car show, you will see guys all over the place using a CCD to dust thier cars off, and some of them probably have more in just the paint job than the value of most of our cars. This last weekend, I was detailing a VERY dark green car and just before applying the sealant, I needed to remove some of the polishing dust and pollen that had fallen on the car. I used the CCD as I have described, didn't get any marks and completely removed the dust. Being spring time here in Colorado, and that there are a couple of big pines nearby, right now we have a MAJOR pollen issue, the cars can look like they are growing green fuzz in just a few minutes after a complete wash and the CCD cleans them up in a heartbeat. If you use the CCD correctly, you probably have less chance of putting swirl marks on the car than you would if you washed and dried it.
Wow... Thanks a lot for your advice, hardrock32tls. This is why I love Acurazine so much. Many nice people that care about others!!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Not a problem! I can understand your desire to not put any scratches on your car, but I also would like to make sure that you get the straight info on a product like the CCD. Its a great tool, but like any tool, it needs to be used correctly and when used properly, it saves a lot of extra labor.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I have a NHB TSx and use the CCD when I remember... Never a scratchor swirl from it. As stated, just use it correctly.