Drying - Waffleweave Microfiber vs. Leaf Blower

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:34 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Drying - Waffleweave Microfiber vs. Leaf Blower

Waffleweave Microfiber

If you own a dark colored vehicle then you probably know that drying the car with a microfiber towel can still be a 50/50 proposition. It is so easy to create streaks and mild scratches if you should wipe over a dry spot on the paint.

Another method is to use an extra-large waffleweave microfiber, fold it into quarters, and use a "blotting" technique to soak up the remaining water. This is OK for flat horizontal panels but is a pain for the side panels.

Leaf Blower

This is my new best friend. I picked up an electric leaf blower a couple of weeks ago to so I could save my back from sweeping up lawn clipping from the driveway and sidewalk. I had heard through another detailing forum that people were using a leaf blower to dry their cars. I figured since I hate to blot my car dry using a microfiber I would try out the leaf blower method.

What a difference!
If you have not tried this then you should. I was able to get 98-99% of my car dry without having to use a microfiber. I had little to no risk of scratches and streaks plus I was able to get all of the hidden water out of all the nooks and cracks including the wheels. This took me about 15 minutes and I followed with the Megs Ultimate Detailer w/ a microfiber. This is super easy with less stress for those of us that are obsessive compulsive about their paint.

Another note: My car is topped with Megs #26 and Megs Ultimate Detailer. The water beads and sheets off my car like I have never seen before. this includes the soap suds. The small beads of water seem to stand at attention. They are very spherical and easy to blow off. Also, before I used the blower, I took the water nozzle off of the hose and let the flow of water sheet off the car starting from the roof, trunk and hood, then the sides last. There was much less water to get rid of using this sheeting method at the end of the wash.

I may never use a towel to dry my cars again.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I tend to use both. Hit the blower on the door handles / mirrors / emblems etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Jazz, my only concern with the blower is its ability to stir up dust particles. Im certain you sweep the surface with an unrestricted flow of water during the rinse right? And if the water is beading as stated, you shouldnt have a while lot of water to even blow off? I usually hit the emblems and handles, and exterior trim areas, wheels and tires with a high pressure nozzle also......
Keep that friend if its loyal to you though!!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^

Pat, I didn't even think of the high pressure nozzle idea. My brother's got a 33 gal air compressor that has a blower attachment on it. I'm definitely going to be using this in the future
Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jazz, if the method works for ya, press on! The sheeting process works very well if you have ample protection. I've been using a leaf blower just for the areas where water collects (front grill, wheels, etc) and where a MF towel cannot access as Patrick stated.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Jazz, my only concern with the blower is its ability to stir up dust particles. Im certain you sweep the surface with an unrestricted flow of water during the rinse right? And if the water is beading as stated, you shouldnt have a while lot of water to even blow off? I usually hit the emblems and handles, and exterior trim areas, wheels and tires with a high pressure nozzle also......
I do the same ... compressor air. Even when I have my black Passat and in 100F summer weather here I never had a problem drying with the WW X 2 ..

I bought a leaf blower last week and tried it on the TL and it was more of a PITA and took actually longer than the WW method.

I fold one WW in 1/2 lonw ways and do a walk around pulling it over the hood, windshield, rear window, trunk on one side then the reverse on the other then walk around the car covering the doors etc.

Then with a 1/4'rd WW I dry the wundows, hood roof, trunk & finally the sides. Actually takes less time than dragging out the blower and dealing with the cord. I hope you have a ground fault. I only use compressed air if I am going to do a detail.

My biggest concern with a blower is blowing dust up on the car or dislodging something in a crevass and blowing it up on the paint.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Point noted. Picking up dust is not an issue where I live since my driveway is always clean and we have grass on both sides of the driveway. I would reconsider if I lived somewhere like Arizona where many landscapes are dirt and desert plants.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I do the same ... compressor air. Even when I have my black Passat and in 100F summer weather here I never had a problem drying with the WW X 2 ..

I bought a leaf blower last week and tried it on the TL and it was more of a PITA and took actually longer than the WW method.

I fold one WW in 1/2 lonw ways and do a walk around pulling it over the hood, windshield, rear window, trunk on one side then the reverse on the other then walk around the car covering the doors etc.

Then with a 1/4'rd WW I dry the wundows, hood roof, trunk & finally the sides. Actually takes less time than dragging out the blower and dealing with the cord. I hope you have a ground fault. I only use compressed air if I am going to do a detail.

My biggest concern with a blower is blowing dust up on the car or dislodging something in a crevass and blowing it up on the paint.
Jesstzn,

Dust is not an issue for me where I live. I set up the blower before I start washing so its already to go. I do not waste any time since I hate water spots! By the time I use the blower the concrete is only damp. I definitely plug the blower into a GFI plug.