DIY Clay Bar Lube

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM
country livin...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY Clay Bar Lube

I used simple carwash shampoo suds to lube my clay bar and it feels glassy... anyone else got an even cheaper DIY lube for claying?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Just make sure its a good concentration so its slippery.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
yea i was wondering this question do i have to use a certain lube to get better results or is soap and water does the same?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i use optimum no rinse diluted to clay lube specs.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Detailer’s Clay Lubricant

The critical safety factor is adequate lubrication; most clay retailers supply their detailing spray (QD) as a lubricant, the problem with many of them is that they contain some form of solvent or alcohol, which may cause the clay to dry out. To provide sufficient lubrication the surface must be thoroughly saturated, problem is that a solvent dries out the clay, which could cause surface marring, or cause the clay to disintegrate, or breakdown and become soft leaving streaks on the paint surface. Some car wash concentrates will also cause some of the same problems due to the synthetics, detergents and / or solvents used.

This thin film of lubrication provides a safety barrier that enables the clay to hydroplane across the surface. In other words, the clay is riding on a micro-thin film of lubrication between it and the paint surface removing the (protruding) surface contaminants by abrasion and encapsulation by the malleable clay. Without lubrication the clay would abrade the paint surface much like a wet-sanding block and will produce fine surface marring
To ensure adequate surface lubrication and avoid surface marring use a product (Optimum No Rinse (ONR) that contains a surfactant to ensure that any dirt/grit / metal debris is encapsulated and held in suspension and can be rinsed away and a surface lubricant. Using a 1:20 ONR / distilled water solution in a fine mist spray bottle.

The best way to describe the proper method for using detailer clay is to use plenty of the lubricant and aquaplane the clay bar over the surface in straight-line motions. A mild liquid soap works as a lubricant and is gentle enough that it will not adversely affect either the clay, vehicle paint or trim using a 5:1 solution of distilled water / Woolite™.
As an alternative use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) or a 16:1 solution of distilled water and a pH suitable car wash concentrate (Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash, pH7.0) in a 16 ounce spray bottle, or a lubricant made for clay Zymol Lehm-Lube 2 - that is formulated with glycerine

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 PM
country livin...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
informative! thanks!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gotkilled
i use optimum no rinse diluted to clay lube specs.
this