difference between Swirl remover and compound

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010 | 09:25 PM
Instructor

difference between Swirl remover and compound

What is the difference between the two? should i use the swirl remover beofore compound?
Old 03-17-2010 | 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor

In my experience, SMR's are not as aggressive as compounds. Start with the lighter products to provide a base line. Then gauge from there what you will need to further remove swirls.
Just because it says "swirl mark remover", doesnt mean its will necessarily remove all of your swirls. You usually need a couple polishes on hand, one more aggressive then the other.
What are your examples your dealing with?
SMR's are really just "polishes". Its marketing, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 03-17-2010 | 10:33 PM
Instructor

Well i used LC yellow ccs pad with a MEG 105 followed by LC black ccs with 205 and the swirls are still there. I got the spider web swirls out but there are still deeper swirls that i cant get out. Please help
Old 03-18-2010 | 04:21 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

What is a grit number?

When talking about finishing paper (sandpaper) "grit" is a reference to the number of abrasive particles per inch of finishing paper. The lower the grit the rougher the finishing paper and conversely, the higher the grit number the smoother the finishing paper. This makes sense if you imagine how small the particles on a 1000-grit finishing paper would need to be to fit into a 1 - inch square. Finishing paper is referred to by the size of its grit
Finishing paper (sandpaper)

Works a lot like any other cutting tool, the particles on finishing papers are made up from a number of sharp edges that cut; the only real difference is that finishing papers, unlike your saw, can’t be sharpened

Scratches are identified by the equivalent marks that would be made by finishing paper grit. Check the scratch to be removed, estimate the grit number (always err on the low side) and choose an abrasive / pad combination. If that doesn't work try the next abrasive level. i.e. always start with the least abrasive product.

Compounds, Polishes and Foam Pads are all rated on a grit number - that is to say the scratches they will remove after using grit finishing paper (i.e. 2500 grit polish will remove the marks left after using 2500 grit finishing paper) Remember the flatter and more uniform you make the paint surface, the greater the light reflection (shine).
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by laziebun
Well i used LC yellow ccs pad with a MEG 105 followed by LC black ccs with 205 and the swirls are still there. I got the spider web swirls out but there are still deeper swirls that i cant get out. Please help
Are you feeking these swirls with your fingernail? Also when using polishes after you select a test area and make a pass use a rubbing alcohol / water mix ( 50/50) and wipe the area down to remove the residue and oils. Then inspect to see if you need another pass or just a step down to a finer polish.

Also isn't the black pad more for applying the LSP or burnishing and has very little cut to it .
I think you should be using a white pad with the 205.

Did you read the atricle mentioned in your other thread?