Didnt finish, what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Didnt finish, what do i do?

SO I ran out of time today sigh. I was only able to polish the hood, passenger side, and trunk. So if I continue tomorrow or later in the week do I have to rewash the whole car before polishing again? Or can I just use quick detailer? Will having time pass between polish and poliseal mess up anything?

I used water and some soap to clean the pads, but I still have some polish inside the pad. Is that enough? How long should I wait before I can use the pads again.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
If the car is kept in a dust free garage .. no need to wash .. if no .. wash it.

As for the pads .. what do you mean by polish? Discoloration? The pads should be dry before you reuse them.

What soap did you use?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
It all kind of depends on your exposed circumstances. If you can keep it clean, maybe just a damp wipedown will suffice. If your exposed to some rain in the coming week, you may have to wash.....
Try to get your pads nice and clean before their next use.....meaning, get the old product out, and let them dry. I dont mind mine a little damp when I reuse them, but they must be clean of foreign polish....
Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
If the car is kept in a dust free garage .. no need to wash .. if no .. wash it.

As for the pads .. what do you mean by polish? Discoloration? The pads should be dry before you reuse them.

What soap did you use?
I used Dawn soap. What I meant was that I keep pressing on the pads and polish continues to come out.

Pat- so it looks like I have to keep pushing and scrubing by hand to get all polish out befoes I reuse the pad.

So are my efforts of using opt polish be wasted if I don't use poliseal in the next few days?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 PM
WIP-Work in Progress

Okay here's a quick update. I was finally able to get all the polish out of my orange and white pad it just took some more dawn soap and massaging of the pad lol. So I'm going to let them dry tonight and try to finish the job.

So after using the PC and polish for the first time. I'm just a lil dissapointed, becuz I didn't really see a huge diff from just washing and claying it. What I mean is since I was only able to finish one side of the car, the polish side didn't look a lot diff from the otherside. I also thought I could get rid of some of my scratches, don't get me wrong it looks a lot better but it seems like I can see the scratch if I look at it at a different angle. I probably spent about 6 hours, wash, clay abd polishing and I was already tired, I'm not going to give up on detailing my car becuz I like to keep it looking nice. But I'm not sure if I see the benefit right now of doing all the polishing and that's just ny 2cents.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what was your process?? With that much polish in your pads, almost sounds like you were using way too much product. My pads do have polish in them, but nothing that requires an extensive amount of rubbing do get out with soap. the importance of my comment though to your last post, is the process...what pads, what polish.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Originally Posted by mrclrider
what was your process?? With that much polish in your pads, almost sounds like you were using way too much product. My pads do have polish in them, but nothing that requires an extensive amount of rubbing do get out with soap. the importance of my comment though to your last post, is the process...what pads, what polish.
optimum polish II white pad, about 3 small dime size sqiurts. i spread it around first then i turn on 1 spread it around making one pass. then on 3 one pass then about 5 one pass. i'm working on about 2 by 2 box and then move on. is the polish not breaking down enoug? i'm also using optimum hyper compound orange on some spots
Old 05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
both the white pad and optimum polish aren't going to do much to remove surface scratches. You need a stronger product and an orange pad. Probably something along the lines of optimum compound...Patrick?? I use the white pad and optimum polish after I use the orange pad and a more abrasive product.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
both the white pad and optimum polish aren't going to do much to remove surface scratches. You need a stronger product and an orange pad. Probably something along the lines of optimum compound...Patrick?? I use the white pad and optimum polish after I use the orange pad and a more abrasive product.
I normally go right to Orange with Polish for very light swirls. If need be, I will follow up with the white pad and Polish or Finish Polish. Orange and Compound II is a killer combo for light to medium swirls and scratches, then follow up with White and Polish II, or White and Finish Polish on darks.....