Dealing w/Pollen, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealing w/Pollen, ideas?

The last 3-4 weeks have really wreaked havoc on both trucks with sudden pollen blooms. Normally I will hi pressure wash the heavy fallout, then NRWS, and QUICKLY add a spray wax after every wash during this time of year. Being as both vehicles are outdoors the majority of the time, there really is no quick maintenance I can perform for remove the pollen. It just settles in, too heavy, too quickly. So I just opt to "let 'er go" for a couple weeks. Now we have rain headed this way, which I hope will rinse it out of the pine buds, and provide some relief. Ever time someone drives down the street, they kick up a yellow cloud.
Just curious as to how other folks deal with it. Different conditions around the country obviously are dealt with in different manners. Im hoping to bring this thread alive a little with discussion and techniques. Hopefully those of you who have arrived at some sort of technique to deal with it will share. Im interested in helping those who may actually think theyre doing the right thing, but in actuality, may be marring the crap out of the paints surface!!
Lets talk it up folks, I know Pollen isnt only for west coasters!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I wonder how well a foam cannon would take care of the problem. Foam cannons are sure fun though, haha!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
I have to park under tree's at work and tons of pollen gets on the cars. I foam the car first then rinse it with water right out of the hose so it sheets away and I can seen any heavy soiling. Then I refoam, two bucket wash and then dry the car by sheeting the water and following up with a towel.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Its always been my practice to remove the pollen as quickly as possible with hi pressure. What purpose does the foam serve when foaming before hi pressure? (Im just being inquisitive, not questioning your sanity)
From what I have heard/read, certain pollens release an acid when moistened, hence my desire to blast them off.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Just don't QD it off .. pollen is very abrasive too ... also .. in addition to ...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
I have a large compressor. I blow my car off with air if it is just pollen and not dirty.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by achenator
I have a large compressor. I blow my car off with air if it is just pollen and not dirty.
Another great idea...........then what.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Pollen isn't removed by air friction as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface. Carnauba wax molecules, which are closed linked, which means that they only butt up together to protect the surface. They align themselves to form an egg-grate type structure (with their long axis vertical) this is what gives it depth. This mesh-like structure allows the exine or barbs of the pollen to gain a hold and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic polymer. As well as being allergic pollen is also very abrasive (due to its exine or barbs) and slightly acidic dust, especially when mixed with moisture and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable.

To remove heavy dust (do not use a California Duster as the pollen exine (barbs) will cause surface marring) instead use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) a quick ‘wash’; formulated with surfactants to keep dirt in suspension, avoiding surface contact, it also provides surface lubrication, thereby avoiding surface marring. As soon as is practical, thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a hose and clean water to ensure all the pollen is removed.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against: Micro gametophytes (pollen) Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product and / or Finish Kare FK425 Detailing Spray; but either of these may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface

Extract from TOGWT detailing article series " Pollen_Micro gametophytes"
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
^^^^ Excellent writeup ... would youmind if I saved and used that as long as I keep the foot note?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Patrick...Patrick...

Remember this? How to Perform Daily Paint Maintenance Using the Duster and QD

Having a super slick paint surface keeps the pollen from really sticking.
  1. I make sure I use a super slick wax.
    ....................OR
  2. I use an anti-static quick detailer that is very slick.

I prefer to use #2. The duster is only good to a certain degree. If the pollen is really bad then I would use a leaf blower or wash.

Last edited by SweetJazz; 04-04-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Patrick...Patrick...

Remember this? How to Perform Daily Paint Maintenance Using the Duster and QD

Having a super slick paint surface keeps the pollen from really sticking.
  1. I make sure I use a super slick wax.
    ....................OR
  2. I use an anti-static quick detailer that is very slick.

I prefer to use #2. The duster is only good to a certain degree. If the pollen is really bad then I would use a leaf blower or wash.
Hey SJ, do you think FK425 really is truly anti-static? Also, do you know of any other anti-static QD's? I really find it hard to believe that FK425 has anti-static abilities.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, now I do! LMAO.....I was getting frustrated with this current bloom Stephen, just wanted to revisit the issue.
I HATE POLLEN......(And Summer)
5000 points for you my friend for your recall!!

Originally Posted by Denzil
Hey SJ, do you think FK425 really is truly anti-static? Also, do you know of any other anti-static QD's? I really find it hard to believe that FK425 has anti-static abilities.
Denzil, Im in the same boat........
Tuf Shine makes a QD that I have used only twice now but have become quite fond of. Almost fond enough to bring aboard actually, Im still observing its characteristics though. I havent determined if its anti static, or just not a dust magnet, kind of hard to decipher the difference I think.
"Anti-static. Will not attract dust." (<------ Is part of the products marketing)
Very nuetral smell, decent slickness also. Not slick like ID & GE, but dust just wouldnt adhere.......
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM
2016 E350 Sport

YES, FK425 is definitely anti-static. Finish Kare sells it as an anti-static product. Note that anti-static does NOT mean dust and pollen will not land on your car. Anti-static detailers will help prevent a static charge from attracting dust or pollen to the paint/glass surface. I use FK425 on paint, glass, and the wheels. I have observed dust particles falling vertically along the side of my car without changing direction due to a static charge on the paint. Also, static is a killer for using a CA Duster. The dust just seems to just move around the paint due to the static charge. The FK425 also leaves a super slick surface. An anti-static and slick paint surface also allows a significant amount of the dust and pollen to blow off on the freeway.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 PM
The Detailer

Heh, well I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison and documentation to see how well this product works. I still have some Fk425 sample left over for this test so we'll see how well it holds up.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Its always been my practice to remove the pollen as quickly as possible with hi pressure. What purpose does the foam serve when foaming before hi pressure? (Im just being inquisitive, not questioning your sanity)
From what I have heard/read, certain pollens release an acid when moistened, hence my desire to blast them off.
foaming helps to lubricate the surface for any contaminants, remember pollen is not the only thing you are cleaning off. This way they won't scratch the surface as they are loosened up, and the extra moisture helps puff it up and loosen and dirt. I'm honestly afraid to use high pressure on any car, I've seen my buddy peel the paint off his car, he wasn't laughing...
Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
This reminds me of a black Ford Explorer ('04 model) I did a basic wash on a few months back. The hood was covered in hardened pollen and tree fallout; washing alone did not remove it. So I clayed the hood and was amazed at what came up.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:15 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
^^^^ Excellent writeup ... would youmind if I saved and used that as long as I keep the foot note?
Feel free

© All original material in these articles is copyright, unless otherwise stated, and may be copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes only as long as the source of the material is stated.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
it is pollen time here in NC-it soon will pass-
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I deal with pollen by taking Claritin during this time of the year...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TSC17
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Da HoNu

Heh, well I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison and documentation to see how well this product works. I still have some Fk425 sample left over for this test so we'll see how well it holds up.
Hey Denz, if the Fk425 works out let me know! i'm using a Meg. QD now and i like it but it doesn't do that great of a job..where would i find the Fk425 anyways?? (i'm a noob wen it comes to detailing..)
Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
flonase in my gas tank
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Flonase FTW!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by TSC17

I just replaced the cabin air filter in my car. I'm hoping the springs in Kansas aren't as 'bloomy' as they are in Oregon. Everybody loves spring in Oregon except me because it's four to five weeks where I don't breathe and suffer for every waking minute. And pills don't help...it SUCKS.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by hOnU
Hey Denz, if the Fk425 works out let me know! i'm using a Meg. QD now and i like it but it doesn't do that great of a job..where would i find the Fk425 anyways?? (i'm a noob wen it comes to detailing..)
Click Here for Finish Kare 1 products.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Another great idea...........then what.
I keep my cars pretty slick (with exceldetail products of course!) and just wash if needed. I just blow off with the air until I can wash again.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by achenator
I keep my cars pretty slick (with exceldetail products of course!) and just wash if needed. I just blow off with the air until I can wash again.
Oh ok.......! We should have a pollen picture contest!!
Now what could I hand out to the worse case of pollenitis? And how could YOU prove, its YOUR car?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Da HoNu

thanks!

Now what could I hand out to the worse case of pollenitis? And how could YOU prove, its YOUR car?
this could be interesting..i know some of you guys get more pollen then others so i'd definitely vote for this to happen and look forward to pollen covered cars
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

Not as bad as it would've been; We got a little rain last night.

Sad part is it was clayed, washed, polished and waxed/sealed on Saturday. Don't know what to do with it now.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the FK425! I use it on my paint, windows, plasma tv, and tv stand. I started using it on the tv and tv stand because after cleaning them I would notice in like 1 day a pound of dust as if it was never cleaned. Once I learned the FK425 was anti static I decided to give it a shot. Now I can go anywhere from 2 weeks to a month between cleanings.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by hOnU
Will do Brandon, I may spray some on my Samsung LCD as well, haha.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I'm in the "let it go" boat. I'll wash it every other week or so.

I typically have a scheduled wax in March so I get a layer of protection on before it gets too bad.
I was too lazy to do a full detail this go round and just decided to throw a quick coat of NXT on the car. (hopefully getting an orbital over the summer since the wifey just got a Jeep Liberty....hand polishing/waxing that thing FTL)

It sucks this time of year when you wash the car and as you're drying it you can already see pollen falling on it