Dealership detailing.....do you think this would be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealership detailing.....do you think this would be worth it?

http://www.manhattanacura.com/specia...cial.cfm?ID=13

Complete Auto Detail*
$99.99 plus tax

Includes: Polish car finish / Polish all chrome / Detail rims / Dress rubber / Touch up paint / Vacuum and shampoo carpets / Detail and dress dash / Clean and dress upholstery / Treat leather / Detail trunk / Clean engine compartment

this looks like a pretty good deal to me. what are people's thoughts and opinions....?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, I rather spend the money on products and do it myself. I see that you got a 2006 TSX, still a really new car. I don't think you would need to get a polish, but rather a wax. Hope that dealership waxes too and not just polish like it says there.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Personally, I wouldn't let the dealer detail it. Whenever I bring my TL to the dealer, I insist the car not be washed. If the vehicle does require a detail, I would seek an individual who does it for a living. It would cost more, but fact is, I know the job will be done correctly and with great care. For $99, you get what you pay for. FYI, the list does not include any sealing/waxing.

DIY, it'll be fun and in the end you'll be amazed at what you can do. BTW, didn't you purchase some detailing products and eqipment?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Im with previous posts'. Its much more rewarding when you do it yourself! $100.00 can get you a couple years of self indulged protection......
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
D.I.S.O. (Dealer Installed Swirl Option) is No No! A professional detail inside and out shoud cost you at least $200-300 depending how bad/good the paint is. The best option is to do it your self. There are some great detailing forums on the web to get you started. If you do not have time then search for a professional detailer shop in your area. You spent too much on your car to screw it up. I would never have a dealer detail my car. At least not at the dealership where my wife works. I seriously doubt there are many dealerships with a truly qualified detailer. If convenience is major priority then I would at least check the detailer's work or ask questions on how they are going to approach your car. You can tell if someone knows what they are talking about. Good Luck.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Personally, I wouldn't let the dealer detail it. Whenever I bring my TL to the dealer, I insist the car not be washed. If the vehicle does require a detail, I would seek an individual who does it for a living. It would cost more, but fact is, I know the job will be done correctly and with great care. For $99, you get what you pay for. FYI, the list does not include any sealing/waxing.

DIY, it'll be fun and in the end you'll be amazed at what you can do. BTW, didn't you purchase some detailing products and eqipment?
I am not going to let the dealer do anything to my car either. When I got it brand new there were some swirl marks on it etc. I have to take care of them and a few minor scratches in the spring after I get someone to show me how to polish properly. Car is sealed for the winter right now,...as you know already.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i agree about DIY but i was tempted by the fact that the clean the engine compartment, which is something I am not ready to do. i was hoping maybe someone else on the forum had been to this dealer and gotten this deal. i know my dealer prepped the car, and did not leave swirl marks, so i was pretty happy. also, the first time i washed it came out beautiful, so i was led to believe the dealer did a decent job prepping it. anyways......i'm perfectly happy doing it myself, i just thought for $99, it might be a good deal every now and then.

thanks for the input though! i got the answer i expected and the one i felt in my gut, but i was curious if people would think otherwise.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I always recommend DYI too, but I understand that the initial outlay of money (~$350+ if you want a PC and all the accessories you'll need) and the time investment it takes to learn how to do it just isn't worth it for some people, which is why we have detailers. That said, I'd only let a dealer detail my car if they sent it to a third party shop that I knew the reputation of. I doubt for $99 they're doing that. For a wash, clay, polish, seal/wax, tire clean, dress rubber and trim/tires, I charge ~$200 for a mid sized sedan - that's pretty much the going rate and it wouldn't include any interior work or an engine detail. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bradykp
i agree about DIY but i was tempted by the fact that the clean the engine compartment, which is something I am not ready to do.
IMHO U don't need to clean the engine yet, I wouldn't do it but every few years. and it is really not that hard to do, you just kinda gotta make sure u don't mess up. There are tons of guides and information on the web on how to do this and all u really need are some brushes and simple green/engine bay cleaner
I cleaned the engine bay on my jeep for the first time last year, 18 years of grime can be a b*tch to get out.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're afraid of watering down the engine bay, you can just wipe it down by hand. Since the car is still new, it's just mainly dust and nothing too grimy.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
IMHO U don't need to clean the engine yet, I wouldn't do it but every few years. and it is really not that hard to do, you just kinda gotta make sure u don't mess up. There are tons of guides and information on the web on how to do this and all u really need are some brushes and simple green/engine bay cleaner
I cleaned the engine bay on my jeep for the first time last year, 18 years of grime can be a b*tch to get out.
oh i certainly am not cleaning the engine bay yet. i'm obsessive but not obsessive compulsive. lol

thanks for the tips. i suspected it was too good to be true, i was just thinking maybe someone had an experience with it.

simple green can be used to clean the engine bay? i didn't realize that. i purchased it to use on the wheels to keep them nice and shiny, by recommendation of my cousin, who takes care of his cars religiously!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Instructor

What he said !!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Drifting

i worked at a honda and mercedes dealership and their "deatiling" is such bs. all they do is wash it and vacuum it. the wax they used was meguiars tech wax and that was it. it was so funny how these kids think they did such a great job and calling it a detail when all they did was wash it. if you were gonna pay for it go to a place where they specialize in detailing or do it yourself.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:15 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
detailing a car is fun and is an art. the perfectly detailed car simply stands out from the rest. it can make an average car look above average, etc.