Dashboard/Interior cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004 | 02:56 PM
Advanced

Dashboard/Interior cleaner?

Hello all,

What do most of you use for interior cleaning (ie - dashboard)? I don't want to use something that will dull the dash....

Thanks!
Mark
Old 05-03-2004 | 02:57 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Armorall works well I've heard.
Old 05-03-2004 | 02:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

...But the dash IS dull...

Originally Posted by mengle
Hello all,

What do most of you use for interior cleaning (ie - dashboard)? I don't want to use something that will dull the dash....

Thanks!
Mark
Old 05-03-2004 | 03:04 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I use Fantastik® cleaner. Looks great......clean, no streaks, no gloss.

Best of all, it's not a Zaino product.
Old 05-03-2004 | 03:56 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys.

yes the dash is already dull, but I don't want apply something that could expedite the fading process.
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:20 PM
Racer

Orange Pledge. It's available in every supermarket in the USA. It shines the dash up nicely, doesn't leave a residue behind, is inexpensive and smells great!

Armoral smells like dirty old gym socks.
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

303 or Pinnacle Vinyl cleaner/conditioner
Old 05-03-2004 | 06:49 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by gregory28

Armoral smells like dirty old gym socks.

Anyone else get turned-on by this comment?

BJ
Old 05-03-2004 | 07:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by boltjames

BJ
Depends on whose wearing the socks....
Old 05-03-2004 | 08:26 PM
Instructor

I use Fantastik® cleaner. Looks great......clean, no streaks, no gloss.

Best of all, it's not a Zaino product.
Would you recommend using it for cleaning the "pocket" attached from the back to the front seats? My children need to figure out how to get in the car without leaving marks on these pockets from their shoes.

How about other plastic/rubber parts on the floor/door? Is this good for them, too?
Old 05-03-2004 | 08:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by acugirl
Would you recommend using it for cleaning the "pocket" attached from the back to the front seats? My children need to figure out how to get in the car without leaving marks on these pockets from their shoes.

How about other plastic/rubber parts on the floor/door? Is this good for them, too?
Yes acugirl.....the Fantastik® is better suited for those very plastic parts you mentioned; it works well on the dash's plastic components, but I'm worried about that rubber-paint tactile finish so I haven't gone there on those upper dash board parts.

Fantastik® is perfect for the plastic door sills that you/your kids step on, the aluminum "Acura" inset in those sills, all the plastic under and around the dash (steering wheel, gauge cluster, clock/XM area, etc), and those plastic seatback pockets.

I also use Fantastik® on the aluminum lip on the front grill....less streaking than Windex® and has no wax like some of those "instant touch up detailer" pumps at the auto parts store.

Again, I'm nervous about the upper rubber-painted tactile area of the dash so I only use the California Dash Duster® for that job. For the navi's LCD, I'll eventually get a cleaner from a computer store.

Just make sure you use the "all purpose" version. On my '03 Odyssey, I've used Fantastik® on all the dash components for over a year with no residue, no clouding, and no after-effects whatsoever...

BJ

Old 05-03-2004 | 09:00 PM
10th Gear

303 or Lexol products
Old 05-03-2004 | 09:05 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by shifTLS
303 or Lexol products
Fantastik®
Old 05-03-2004 | 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Pree-vert!

BJ
You were kidding about the Fantastic, weren't you?

XP
Old 05-03-2004 | 11:19 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Windex, it's good on everything.

Then follow up using the outdoor version from 20ft away
Old 05-03-2004 | 11:35 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by xpditor42
You were kidding about the Fantastic, weren't you?

XP
No.........Fantastik is great on interior plastics. No joke there.
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:24 AM
Advanced

I've used Lexol on the seats, but am not sure what would work best on the top of the dashboard area. I would use Fantastik on some to the plastic areas, but not the dash.
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:27 AM
Newbie for Life

Swiffer mit for me as I only get dust on my dash.
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Arrow How about this?

No.........Fantastik is great on interior plastics. No joke there.
I missed the part where you said you didn't use it on the soft, tactile, non-skid portion. That's what I had in mind.

I have discovered Swiffer Dusters (disposable). They come with five pads and a snap-together thin handle. They are like a mini California Duster but cheaper and can get into tighter spaces. No parafin. And, they fit nicely in the glove compartment.

XP
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:53 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Vinylex (blue bottle) works great. Leaves NO shine

I've used Lexol on the seats, but am not sure what would work best on the top of the dashboard area. I would use Fantastik on some to the plastic areas, but not the dash.
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

I use Armor All Cleaning Wipes. No streaking or greasy film.

http://www.armorall.com/prodcat/page...wipes_2.9.html
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:45 AM
Instructor

I'm with ROADMAN.... 303 and Pinnacle are great products.
I also use Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on the leather seats.
Old 05-04-2004 | 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck
I'm with ROADMAN.... 303 and Pinnacle are great products.
I also use Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on the leather seats.
We must have bought the same kit, I also use the Leather cleaner/conditioner, love the almond smell

FYI, 303 works great on the tires,plastic around exhaust and door seals

To clean the plastic door sill, I step on it all the time when I get in the car, I use Apple Lysol cleaner, smells awesome
Old 05-04-2004 | 11:20 AM
Instructor

I buy all my stuff from www.properautocare.com, aka Classic Motoring Accessaries.
I use the Pinnacle stuff on the interior (I too love that smell), and the 303 on the tires etc. just as you pointed out.
BlackFire on the paint.
Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner cut 50/50 with water on the tires and wheels, works great.
Eimann Fabrik Glass cleaner and carpet cleaner as well. All works great.
Haven't tried the Lysol. I'll have to give that a shot. My daughter and wife are always stepping on the sills.
BTW, the cut Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity cleaner works great cleaning up the engine compartment as well. Then a shot of 303 on various engine plastics and everything looks great!!! My wife and neighbors think I spend too much time on my cars..... oh well. Compare mine to the neighbors and it's time well spent. If you love cars and treat them as being "The Point" and not point A to point B devices.... I love spending weekend afternoons etc. working on the cars and great products make it even more enjoyble. Check out properautocare.com ROADMAN, see what you think.
Chuck
Old 05-04-2004 | 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Vinylex (blue bottle) works great. Leaves NO shine
Good stuff. Comes in wipes, too, which makes it just as convenient as the Armor All product. Armor All is reportedly not good for the car in the long run.
Old 05-04-2004 | 07:17 PM
Instructor

:clown:
Hello all,

Thanks!
Mark

I don't put much on my dash as well. Mostly just wipe with one of those swifer things to get dust off. For anyone wanting to try the 303 protectant, they offer free samples in mail. I got one but keep forgetting i have it to try.
Here is the link - http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=freesample
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:04 PM
10th Gear

well-spent time

OK, here's what you need to do:

Go to your local Audi dealer. Find your way to the parts department. Plan on spending some time. It is the service/parts dept of an Audi dealer, after all, and they'll likely have a full plate. You should also take a flashlight. The whole damn group of companies is besieged by electrical problems.
Seriously, though: buy a container of their interior dash/plastic cleaner. It's like armor-all, without the funky/alluring stench and without the shiny finish. Repels dust for a while too. My buddy uses it on his matte-finish S4 dash, and it always looks great. Looks nice on my 04 TL dash, too.
Old 05-04-2004 | 10:10 PM
Safety Car

i use 303 protectant as well, protects and cleans without the oily shine afterwatds. do not use armor all, that product has silicone in it. it will leave a nasty shine afterwards(unless that is what you are going for). the silicone will make the vinyl crack over time.
Old 05-05-2004 | 12:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by shifTLS
303 or Lexol products
Agree...
Old 05-11-2004 | 12:19 PM
Instructor

Check out STP "Son of a Gun". I've used so many others and nothing compares. I've tried everything and I always end up back using this product. It may be hard to find but it works the best IMO. No grease and all shine. I use it on seats, dash, doors, etc. It works great.

Brian
Old 06-22-2004 | 01:55 PM
Intermediate

I see people recommending using the 303 product on the dashboard. Would you recommend for the instrument panel and carbon fiber too?

A
Old 06-22-2004 | 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

In a word: YES

Originally Posted by anthracura
I see people recommending using the 303 product on the dashboard. Would you recommend for the instrument panel and carbon fiber too?

A
If you follow the link someone gave above for the free sample of 303 Aerospace Protectorant, they send you several brochures which explain in great detail about cleaning and preserving man-made surfaces.

303 is excellent on vinyl, plastic, rubber, etc. That's what I use on my dash but sparingly and not often. It doesn't leave a shine.

Know that anything you put on there is subject to boiling off and getting gunk all over the inside of your windshield. It is hard to get off. It's a natural process from the heat that can't be avoided except with one of those sun blocker thingees. I use one anytime I park outside in the FL sun. Between that and my 35% side tint, my black TL stays as cool as any other color car. (I have 15% on the back window).

XP
Old 06-22-2004 | 04:36 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

303 on the dash and all vinal.. Lexol on the leather...Stoners Invisible Glass... for windows and glass...

Never use windex or fantastic on your car, are you nuts!!! Go ahead and get purple tints!! that amonia in the windex will have a fun time fading your tints. And for the armorall users, the dash looks shiny wet for two days right and then turns grey right? Tha's the problem with armorall, it will cause cracking in the dash if you don't apply it weekly, It drys out the dash, nd that's why it says specifically on the back do not use on the exterior of the car, for vinal and rubber, it will dry out the trim and turn it grey as well.
Old 06-23-2004 | 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

damp cloth..stop wit all the cleaning products...

you're killin me.
Old 06-23-2004 | 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

It speaketh!

Originally Posted by Dashboard
Damp cloth..stop wit all the cleaning products...

you're killin me.
Well, the Dashboard could have said that!

AMEN! That's why I said 303 sparingly (once in a while) to replace that which boils off with heat and time.

XP
Old 06-23-2004 | 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Armorall works well I've heard.

It's probably the worst to use and it leaves an unnatural shine on your dash that will cause you grief on sunny days. It also leave that mucky and grimy oily feel.

I use Mother's Preserves for the vinyl. It's non-oily and lasts much longer than Armor-All. The only Armor-All I use is their car wash concentrate.
Old 06-24-2004 | 02:03 PM
Instructor

Do Not
Old 06-24-2004 | 02:05 PM
Instructor

DO NOT use Windex. Don't even use it on your car windows. It has ammonia in it and it will kill the vinyl and rubber. Use any of the Lexol products for the interior and I use Zep glass cleaner. It does not have ammonia in it.
Old 06-25-2004 | 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Champcar1
DO NOT use Windex. Don't even use it on your car windows. It has ammonia in it and it will kill the vinyl and rubber. Use any of the Lexol products for the interior and I use Zep glass cleaner. It does not have ammonia in it.
It took years before they finally realized that ammonia was bad for the mouldings and vinyl, etc..

It made the kichen windows streak free but it's a big no-no on auto glass. Another thing is the household Windex or any other glass cleaner is not strong enough on automotive grime and dirt and does cause wiper chatter when it rains. I use Gunk foaming glass spray ($3.99/can) or better yet Stoner's Invisible Glass, it's the best.

What also worked for me was cleaning the wiper blades with a cotton wad saturated with 70% Isopropyl alcohol (not the rubbing kind) seems to clean the dirt off the rubber blades.

One neat thing that I don't see here often are "dash mats" I know they are popular in Arizona because of the extreme heat but it's a nice idea during summer here too.
Old 07-15-2004 | 02:23 PM
Instructor

If your dash is dull, or filmy - then you need a good vinyl cleaner - Meguiars #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner will do the trick then follow up with meg's #40 - you will be amazed.

Quick Reply: Dashboard/Interior cleaner?