Counterweight/backing plate question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Counterweight/backing plate question

Hi guys, just a quick question that a search did not give me an answer to and Autogeek helpline is closed for the day.

I want to get a Porter Cable 7424xp that comes standard with a 6 inch backing plate and counterweight. If I wanted to use a 5 inch and 3.5 inch backing plate for 5.5 inch and 4 inch pads respectively, will I need to switch counterweights also?

Additionally wanted to get some insight to see if this is a good setup for my car that has medium to light swirls and some bird poop etchings. 4 orange, 4 white and 4 blue pads to be used with medium to fine polisher like Menzerna Power and Super Finish, Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and some OTC Meguiars liquid wax. Thanks in advance.

Are there cheaper products that will provide just as good results as Menzerna and Blackfire?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
To answer your first question, there have been negligible difference in changing the counterweights even when using 4 inch pads. I wouldn't worry about switching them. You can save money here.

Depending on the condition of the car, the supplies you'll need will vary.

I really like the Lake Country hydrotech pads. They keep it simple with just 3 options.

For medium to light swirls, my setup would consist of the following:

4 Cyan
6 Tangerine
2 Crimson

The companies you listed are great and I also use them but they can be a bit pricy for just a simple correction.

I have been recommended to use OTC Meguiar's Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish. I now recommend it myself. Usually, these two products are all you need to correct your paint and are very easy to work with. I then finish down with M205.

There's a thread where a fellow detailer used nothing but OTC Meguiar's products and the final outcome was nothing short of amazing.

Grab these from your local Advance Auto Parts

Ultimate Compound
Ultimate Polish
NXT 2.0 Sealant

Order online and use coupon code P20 and get 20% off before you pick it up at the store.

Let me know what you decide to go with and Happy Detailing
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey J, Thanks for your response. Do you think it will be ok to start with Megs Ultimate Compound, then Ultimate Polish, and go straight to a seal without using M205? I am actually gonna take your advice and try to save some money. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by JCharged
To answer your first question, there have been negligible difference in changing the counterweights even when using 4 inch pads. I wouldn't worry about switching them. You can save money here.

Depending on the condition of the car, the supplies you'll need will vary.

I really like the Lake Country hydrotech pads. They keep it simple with just 3 options.

For medium to light swirls, my setup would consist of the following:

4 Cyan
6 Tangerine
2 Crimson

The companies you listed are great and I also use them but they can be a bit pricy for just a simple correction.

I have been recommended to use OTC Meguiar's Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish. I now recommend it myself. Usually, these two products are all you need to correct your paint and are very easy to work with. I then finish down with M205.

There's a thread where a fellow detailer used nothing but OTC Meguiar's products and the final outcome was nothing short of amazing.

Grab these from your local Advance Auto Parts

Ultimate Compound
Ultimate Polish
NXT 2.0 Sealant

Order online and use coupon code P20 and get 20% off before you pick it up at the store.

Let me know what you decide to go with and Happy Detailing
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Yes, the UP can finish and leave it LSP ready. You may then apply sealant/wax of your choice.

Check your work often. Go out and pick up some IsoPropyl Alcohol and dilute it in a spray bottle with water.

If you haven't already, join the forums over at Autogeek. There are tons of tutorials and information there.
The following users liked this post:
jtsangAZ (02-03-2013)