Coffee stains on floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffee stains on floor

At least several months ago, a tumbled over 10-cup coffee thermos full of black coffee resulted in coffee stains on my driver's side rear floor mat and floor. I was able to get almost all of the stain off of the floor mat, but it still remains on the outside part of the carpet in the foot well. I've tried Resolve, a car carpet products, Woolite solution (maybe 5 to 1), Top Job, and Folex all with limited results. I think that I may have tried liquid Tide solution as well. There is less of a stain now, but it is still quite visible. BTW, the Folex has worked great for some other stains. The rest of the carpet is quite clean. The car is only 13-months old and I use floor mats.

Someplace I've read that you can steam stains out of auto carpet. Right now I don't want to take the car to a detailer or rent a steamer. Plus from what I've seen, a rental would not drive much steam into the concave area where some of the coffee stain is. Bright idea (?) that I have is to use a steam iron to steam the stain, not ironing it of course. What do you folks think, could it work? If I do it, any thoughts on how best to do so and what to avoid?

Thanks.

Tom
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried Folex with extraction? I would recommend (actually any popular carpet cleaner) a diluted APC. Spritz on area, scrub with an upholstery brush, then extract with a wet vac........
Spritz with water during final stage, extract again.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Have you tried Folex with extraction? I would recommend (actually any popular carpet cleaner) a diluted APC. Spritz on area, scrub with an upholstery brush, then extract with a wet vac........
Spritz with water during final stage, extract again.
I don't have a wet vac. I just used the Folex per the bottle instructions, spray "liberal" amount, agitate with finger, then blot. I used a white towel. Repeated numerous times. Got a little off each time, seem to be getting less and less each time. But stain is still there.

I may try really drenching it with Folex.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Tom,

You might try Tuff Stuff. I've had good results with it. I get it at Advance Auto. It comes in a big yellow spray can. I don't drink coffee, but heck, it's worth a try.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Tuff Stuff is good stuff. A little stinky if I recall, but pretty dang good if I recall also. Yellow can/red top (I think)
I really recommend trying to extract with a wet vac though. $30.00 at Home Depot, and great for around the house.....
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if it really really really bothers you, get a new set of floormats...you will need a new set after a year or two anyway....
Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
You can try this stuff to:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/45...t_Stain_Lifter

I've used it for home and auto and works great!! You can buy it at Wallmart and Target. You may need to scrub with a brush as well.

All weather floor mats and trunk tray are your friend also. They have saved my car numerous times. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
You can try this stuff to:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/45...t_Stain_Lifter

I've used it for home and auto and works great!! You can buy it at Wallmart and Target. You may need to scrub with a brush as well.

All weather floor mats and trunk tray are your friend also. They have saved my car numerous times. Good luck.
I may give the Blue Magic a try. I had the regular floor mats, but the stain is around the edge of the floor mat. I have WeatherTech all weather floor mats now, that I'll probably use year round. Having them with the coffee may have helped catch and hold the coffee and limited the stain.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Tuff Stuff is good stuff. A little stinky if I recall, but pretty dang good if I recall also. Yellow can/red top (I think)
I really recommend trying to extract with a wet vac though. $30.00 at Home Depot, and great for around the house.....
So my steam iron idea wasn't such a good one?

I'll check out the Tuff Stuff and the wet vac.

Thanks all for you thoughts.

Tom
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Well?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Well?
Haven't had time to do much on this. Going on vacation next week.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 AM
The Detailer

Your best bet is by following Patrick's suggestion. A steam cleaner does wonders as well and I have been pretty successful at removing stains with Patrick's recommendation and/or a steam cleaner. The steam cleaner I use is the SteamFast SF-275 which can be purchased from the Wal-Mart website.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I have removed some pretty tough coffee stains with the woolite mix ..

I saturated the coffee stain by spraying it then tightly rolled up a terry shop towel and rubbed the stain really hard and it transfered it to the towel ..

With all you have already tried you may have "set" the stain.